Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't understand all the media (and some posters) negativity about Bell in the 2nd

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    +1....we already have 2 big fat slow guys at RB on the roster....now we have 3....I would much rather have seen a fast back with breakaway speed added to the stable.

There was much better value for BPA at other positions...this was a reach for the Steelers.

Bell is a Steeler now and obviously I am hoping for the best.
    If Bell is a big, fat slow guy then you're right, but obviously the Steelers don't think that describes him. I don't either. He's taller than Dwyer or Redman so his weight is more distributed. I don't think he is fat. For his size, I don't think he is slow. He's better than Dwyer or Redman, but we'll have to wait and see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    If Bell is a big, fat slow guy then you're right, but obviously the Steelers don't think that describes him. I don't either. He's taller than Dwyer or Redman so his weight is more distributed. I don't think he is fat. For his size, I don't think he is slow. He's better than Dwyer or Redman, but we'll have to wait and see.
    he better be...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    +1....we already have 2 big fat slow guys at RB on the roster....now we have 3....I would much rather have seen a fast back with breakaway speed added to the stable.

There was much better value for BPA at other positions...this was a reach for the Steelers.

Bell is a Steeler now and obviously I am hoping for the best.
    +1

Mendy was crucified for his spin moves...i think Bell will be a step ahead regarding spin mvoes...He is not a North-South runner..

I would have prefered someone like Arthur Brown there..solidify the LB corp for good..
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    My comments were really more tongue-in-cheek.

My point is that we have 2 other backs that have a similar style. What we dont have is a home run hitter in the backfield...someone that can take it to the house on any play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I am all about drafting for value...

At the same time, I understand that, if the team is convinced that a given player is "the guy" that they want, it may be necessary to overdraft, so to speak, if they are indeed convinced...

As I pointed out previously, Bell led the nation in yards after contact last year...and it wasn't even close...

With a young offensive line that will (hopefully!) improve this year, having a guy who gets yards after contact will be dangerous at the second level...
    Great post.

If Bell was the Steelers guy and they felt they could not get him in the third, then grabbing him in the second is fine. I saw some buzz late where people where suggesting that Bell might actually be the best back in the draft. If so, it's going to be a great pick, regardless of whether he was selected 10 slots or so earlier than people would have liked.

As for the idea of "value" I'd much rather have Bell where the Steelers took him than Ball in any round. Maybe Bell would have been a better "value" in the third, but maybe the Steelers would not have him, and would instead have taken another back in the third, passing on Wheaton.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In the PC, it was said that Coach Kirby looks at the "low-light" film on a guy to see what he does in adverse circumstances and came away impressed by Bell. They also liked the way that he always seemed able to get positive yards when D's were keyed on him.

Nothing I've seen or read indicates to me that he was anything other than the Steelers top RB the whole time. In that case, they got him while the getting was good. I can understand thinking that he might have been a reach when he was taken because of draft projections. However, now that we have the whole thing behind us, it looks like a very good move to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think he compares to Dwyer or Redman, because he's both of them in one back, plus he can catch the ball. If he he's good in pass protection then the Steelers found a back that basically has all the tools necessary to be a high quality NFL back (minus the top end speed). The Steelers evidently liked him enough for him to be their highest rated back and they took him while the taking was good. Redman and Dwyer weren't going to get the job done in the running game. They had their chance last year and failed; one or two games of 130 yards isn't enough. Dwyer came out of games after 3 or 4 consecutive carries and Redman didn't do much save for a couple games. Hopefully, Bell can reinvigorate the running game, add the pass catching dimension and get into the end zone when the Steelers get inside 10 yard line.

I would have rather drafted Arthur Brown, but the running game needs help. The Steelers may have found a 3 down back and that would be fine with me.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    did those people not notice the run on RBs at the end of the 2nd round when Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael were chosen within five picks of each other?

Le'Veon Bell would have never made it out of the 2nd round...
    You are a wise sage of a man. The fact is this, the Steelers assumed if they didn't grab Bell they would be drafting the 6th or 7th best back in the draft. They need a feature back, and they got that in Bell. All things considered I think he to be the best back in the draft and the Steelers agreed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    In the PC, it was said that Coach Kirby looks at the "low-light" film on a guy to see what he does in adverse circumstances and came away impressed by Bell. They also liked the way that he always seemed able to get positive yards when D's were keyed on him.

Nothing I've seen or read indicates to me that he was anything other than the Steelers top RB the whole time. In that case, they got him while the getting was good. I can understand thinking that he might have been a reach when he was taken because of draft projections. However, now that we have the whole thing behind us, it looks like a very good move to me.
    Another terrific insight. MSU's offense was Bell-centric. Teams geared up to stop Bell and couldn't. He is a more powerful runner than most people who have only watched the youtube clips know. They won't show you how he had contact made behind the line of scrimmage yet still fought for three yards. He is a tough back to contain. I dreaded when the Buckeyes had to face him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Another terrific insight. MSU's offense was Bell-centric. Teams geared up to stop Bell and couldn't. He is a more powerful runner than most people who have only watched the youtube clips know. They won't show you how he had contact made behind the line of scrimmage yet still fought for three yards. He is a tough back to contain. I dreaded when the Buckeyes had to face him.
    Heck, our own Jarvis Jones respected him quite a bit as well.

People can find anything to complain about. At the end of the day, we don't know how good he'll be. That said, I'm very excited to see this class develop and I think Bell could be the most contributing member of the class in year one.