Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Don't understand all the media (and some posters) negativity about Bell in the 2nd

  1. #31
    Backup
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    157
    I guess I simply don't value running backs that highly in general. I think they are, given the direction that NFL offenses are evolving, largely expendable commodities. If the guy can pass block well, catch a safety valve dump off and provide a good enough diversion to give defenses something to think about, he's doing his job. If your line can get it blocked effectively, the 7th best back in the draft is good enough. The question is, will all the investments on the line make that happen?

  2. #32
    Backup SteelSpain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In Spain, but in Pittsburgh mentally
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCalculus View Post
    I've now seen about 5 or 6 different sites commenting that Bell in the second was too early -- he should have lasted until the third, possibly the fourth round. Then they go on to mention Wheaton had a second round grade and Thomas had a third round grade.

    So with picks 2, 3, and 4, they got three guys projected in rounds 2, 3, and 4. Other than who gets which salary, does it really matter which one was picked where? Isn't the lack of perceived value in Bell balanced by getting the other two later than projected?

    I agree. If he was the BPA in their board or the BPA at a position of need, I donīt see any problem with take him.

    And he was the RB with more yards after contact in all NCAA.

    You know what's even sadder?

    I am a poet and for me spring does not exist

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    I like the fact that Steven Jackson knew who he was and was impressed with him. Jackson is a student of the game and has been a RB in the NFL.

    He stated that Bell is the rb, that came out this year, that reminds him the most of himself coming out of college.
    Last edited by BigRob; 04-29-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    I agree. If he was the BPA in their board or the BPA at a position of need, I donīt see any problem with take him.

    And he was the RB with more yards after contact in all NCAA.
    I wasn't happy with the Bell pick at the time. It wasn't that I preferred another running back over Bell. It was that I wanted them to go with a big receiver like Keenan Allen whom I thought would have been a good value for that pick.

    That said the more I've read about Bell the better the pick seems to be. The good hands receiving, pass blocking and what you said SteelSpain about the yards after contact makes me feel much more confident about the pick.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  5. #35
    Fact is that given all the RBs in the draft, this was the one that they most coveted. Chances are that had they passed on him then he would not still have been there in the third considering the run at the position towards the end of the second.

    Apparently they had him rated highly enough that taking someone like Hunt or Brown or Swearinger and then grabbing a lesser back (lesser in their opinion anyway) later was not preferable to getting their RB in the second and a less desirable player like Hawthorne at CB later.

  6. #36
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,687
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I wasn't happy with the Bell pick at the time. It wasn't that I preferred another running back over Bell. It was that I wanted them to go with a big receiver like Keenan Allen whom I thought would have been a good value for that pick.

    That said the more I've read about Bell the better the pick seems to be. The good hands receiving, pass blocking and what you said SteelSpain about the yards after contact makes me feel much more confident about the pick.
    Why did Allen last so long? I expected him to go earlier

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Why did Allen last so long? I expected him to go earlier
    Bum knee and potential drug issues.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCalculus View Post
    So with picks 2, 3, and 4, they got three guys projected in rounds 2, 3, and 4. Other than who gets which salary, does it really matter which one was picked where? Isn't the lack of perceived value in Bell balanced by getting the other two later than projected?
    The ONLY possible argument is to have found a trade partner and traded down and picked up another draft pick...

    But, as has been pointed out, he may not have made it out of the round, so you're not trading down more than say 8-10 spots AND taking the chance you lose your guy.

    But, then, you'd need a partner and while it's not "nothing", best you could hope for is about a 4-5 rounder (or future 3-4 rounder), depending on how desperate the trade partner is..
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  9. #39
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Well, Greg Cosell like the pick. I respect Greg Cosell a lot. He watches more tape than any of the other prognosticators:

    Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell27 Apr
    Talked to Bell at draft. Told him he reminded me of Bettis: Big man with quick feet. Foundation back traits, plus can catch

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Why did Allen last so long? I expected him to go earlier
    I did too, despite the slow 40 time and injury issue. I found myself hoping he would fall to the Steelers, and then saw flashes of Limas Sweed, another big WR initially thought to go in the first who fell...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •