Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign UDFA

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Yea... his touches were limited due to Tavon and Steadman being on the Receiving corp also. If I'm not mistaken I think he was injured for a few games down the stretch last year also. He could have been a feature receiver for alot of teams. Obviously a project...but may surprise some folks and be a solid receiver in few year's time. I hope they keep him around on the practice squad for a year...because things will likely open up next year if Plex, cotchery, and sanders department as expected.
    It will be interesting how many WR make the team this year and the next, and who are those WR.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm glad to see they got the Embernate kid, I like off. lineman with a mean streak. McNeal seems like a nice pick up as well.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like the Steelers have done a very solid job of signing UDFA's with an actual shot at making the PS, if not the active roster.

As far as Chadman can see, there are openings on the OL that are nowhere near set in stone- so adding a bunch of young OL makes sense. Outside of the starting 5 & Beachum, pretty sure the other 2-3 spots are open to natural selection. The Penn St OT, Farrell, looks ok- he'll probably be up against Joe Long for the swing OT spot. Back-up OC looks to be hotly contested now- Madsen, Malecki & Ivory Wade. Embernate, Golic & Hubbard might be fighting for the back-up OG spot. This could be interesting!

WR is going to be log jammed after drafting 2 guys, but the 2 UDFA's don't look without hope- certainly big chances of getting on the PS. The Utah kid ran 4.24 in his 40..

That little RB certainly doesn't play like a little RB. His hits the LOS at speed, which Chadman suspects makes him appear faster than he really is, but there is no noticable slow down when changing direction. If the Steelers are serious about removing either Dwyer or Redman from the roster, that 4th RB spot comes down to Baron Batch & this kid. (Bell, Stephens-Howling & Dwyer/Redman being the other 3). Chadman is not convinced Batch wins between the 2 of them.

A few DL- in particular, 2 reasonable NT options. Looks like the Steelers are opening up the competition at NT behind McLendon. And the 5th DE spot- could be a PS spot- is going to be fought out between Nick Williams & the UDFA's brought in.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see all the rookies in camp. One of these kids could be the next James Harrison or Willie Parker or Steve McClendon etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McNeal highlight vid is impressive. He reads and reacts very well. Seems to be tough for his size.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    JD Woods Highlights. You might want to mute the audio...

Impressive video of Woods. Great hands. The audio is offensive, detracts from the video.

Legend

User Info Menu

UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard inks with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Drew Champlin
    on April 27, 2013

UAB lineman Chris Hubbard stretches before practice last fall. Hubbard reached a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers after the draft as an undrafted free agent.

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - UAB offensive lineman Chris Hubbard didn't have to wait long after the NFL Draft to figure out his next step.

Hubbard didn't get drafted, but soon agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent. He'll report to mini-camp next weekend.

"They called me as soon as possible after the draft," Hubbard said. "I'm excited. It's a weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm ready to go to work. They had given me calls, wanting to know the best way to get in touch with me, and now it's official."

Hubbard said he wasn't disappointed with not being drafted. Plenty of talented college players got to choose their team after the draft, and Hubbard was one of them.

"It's not a disappointment at all," Hubbard said. "I'm just glad somebody took a chance on me and picked me up."

Hubbard was an all-Conference USA selection as a quick tackle this season for Garrick McGee's Blazer squad. Hubbard helped running back Darrin Reaves top the 1,000-yard mark.

The 6-foot 4, 286-pound Hubbard showed off his speed, running a 4.71 at the University of Alabama's Pro Day. He bench-pressed 21 repetitions of 225 pounds and had a vertical jump of 28.5 inches.

"He's a very mature kid," UAB head coach Garrick McGee said about Hubbard earlier this spring. "He's consistent and it's hard to find guys consistent kids, guys you know exactly what you're going to get every single day. That's what he brings to the table.

"I think he should get an opportunity definitely as a free agent. That's all you can ask for as a college player, to get an opportunity to put on a uniform."

[URL]http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/uab_offensive_lineman_chris_hu_1.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Did we bring in anybody at safety? Who's on the roster at the position beyond Troy, Ryan Clark, Robert Golden and now Shamarko Thomas? Given the loss of Ryan Mundy and Will Allen, I'm a little surprised not to at least see a training camp body/ potential PS player added at the position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Did we bring in anybody at safety? Who's on the roster at the position beyond Troy, Ryan Clark, Robert Golden and now Shamarko Thomas? Given the loss of Ryan Mundy and Will Allen, I'm a little surprised not to at least see a training camp body/ potential PS player added at the position.
    Cromartie Smith is on the roster too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post

Pitt safety Jarred Holley will try out at rookie mini camp next weekend.

Also LSU DT Josh Downs.
    Steeler Nation in Spain