Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tight End

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Tight End

Obviously living in England I don't get to see college football, having said that watching highlights & reading what the pro's and you guys say, I'm pretty happy how we've drafted.

However with the league doubling up on Tight-Ends now we look incredibly weak depending on when Heath comes back. Do you think they are high on Paulson or is there anyone out there we could still add to the roster?

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree. We really needed to add something at the TE position. Spaeth coming back helps but no difference makers after Miller who is a huge unknown coming off the injury.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Did Weslye Saunders ever sign with another team after he was released last year following his suspension? He looked like he had some potential early on, but that was in Arians offense. You would think with his size and athleticism he'd be a great fit for how Haley likes to use TEs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Arians brought Saunders to Indy...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Backup

User Info Menu

Where did Stoneburner go!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe someone already on our roster is being overlooked by fans...

03/15/12 - Oregon Pro Day: While James may have been the headliner, the athlete who helped himself the most may have been tight end David Paulson, who improved his results from the Combine in virtually every category, especially the all-important 40-yard dash. Paulson, who was clocked at 4.93 seconds in the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis, proved much more explosive Thursday, timing at 4.66 and 4.71 seconds. He also added an inch in the vertical jump (33" Thursday) and three in the broad jump (9'5" Thursday). - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com01/02/12 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: Oregon tight end David Paulson has 30 catches for 428 yards and six touchdowns. Those numbers may not rank among the top tight ends in the country, but the senior's value to the Ducks was proven when he was named co-most valuable player this season by the team. He has caught a touchdown pass in each of his last two games and seems to be heating up in time for the Rose Bowl. He has 13 catches for 195 yards and two scores in his last three games, his best three-game stretch of the season. - The Sports Xchange

[URL]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA[/URL]

some of the catches he makes in that highlight are awesome.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 04-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

03/15/12 - Oregon Pro Day: While James may have been the headliner, the athlete who helped himself the most may have been tight end David Paulson, who improved his results from the Combine in virtually every category, especially the all-important 40-yard dash. Paulson, who was clocked at 4.93 seconds in the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis, proved much more explosive Thursday, timing at 4.66 and 4.71 seconds. He also added an inch in the vertical jump (33" Thursday) and three in the broad jump (9'5" Thursday). - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com01/02/12 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: Oregon tight end David Paulson has 30 catches for 428 yards and six touchdowns. Those numbers may not rank among the top tight ends in the country, but the senior's value to the Ducks was proven when he was named co-most valuable player this season by the team. He has caught a touchdown pass in each of his last two games and seems to be heating up in time for the Rose Bowl. He has 13 catches for 195 yards and two scores in his last three games, his best three-game stretch of the season. - The Sports Xchange

[URL]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA[/URL]

some of the catches he makes in that highlight are awesome.
    My issue with Paulson is he is a "tweener. Too small for TE and too big for FB. Seems like the classic H-back not really a TE. We don't use an H-back.

He seems to have great hands and body control but would get overwhelmed trying to block. Not tall enough to be a threat or asset in the Red Zone either.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I like Paulson. But how bout our 7th round pick this year. He's a giant athlete and former basketball player. Those types usually turn into monster TEs. But we are counting on him to be a 3-4 DE.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never realized Paulson had such good hands. That's very encouraging.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they think that Paulson is serviceable in the short term, and a nice option as a complement to Heath when he returns. I think they are OK with that thought, assuming Heath returns near the start of the season. They would be up a creek without a paddle though, if Heath has complications returning. Or if Heath isn't near the player he was.