Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tight End

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Am I the only one who remembers the ball that bounced off his butt into the end zone that cost us a touchdown in the San Diego debacle last year? He can't hold the line of scrimmage as a blocker whatsoever and is a real liability in that aspect of the game.
    I remember it and it was a STUPID play call to begin with...

Watch Eifert this year... I bet the same thing would happen if he was on our OL on that play. Not trying to say Paulson is in Eiferts league but blocking isn't his specialty.

Hell, I remember FWP digging in Heath's behind a few times when he whiffed on blocks. No one makes all the blocks as a TE. I've seen Heath struggle or lose battles on the OL.

Starter

User Info Menu

I have always heard that Heath is a good blocker. But it seems to me that he gets called for holding a lot. Anyone know exactly how many times? Is it more than average?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So...there are a ton of TE in the NFL who are pass catching TE's and are good blockers; we have video of Paulson showing some great hands and his measurables are equal to Dennis Pitta who caught 10 TD's and also isn't a great run blocker....but we are going to say Paulson is a bum based on the dozen passes we have seen actually thrown at him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    So...there are a ton of TE in the NFL who are pass catching TE's and are good blockers; we have video of Paulson showing some great hands and his measurables are equal to Dennis Pitta who caught 10 TD's and also isn't a great run blocker....but we are going to say Paulson is a bum based on the dozen passes we have seen actually thrown at him.
    I don't think there are a ton of TEs who are good at blocking and catching passes. In fact, I think a good blocking TE is slowly going by the wayside. Heath might be the last of that breed.

Once you start looking at Gronkowski and Hernandez from NE you see that they are rarely called upon as a primary blocker. They might try and seal a back-end or stand and get in the way of a defender but they aren't used like Heath with running plays constantly going in their direction. I think the only one in this year's draft that would be similar to Heath was that guy Kelce from Cincinnatti. He supposedly is a great blocker and developing into a good receiver.

I think the position of TE is really going by the wayside. Nowadays the TE is either a big wide receiver or a small offensive lineman. Heath might be the last of a dying breed.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't think there are a ton of TEs who are good at blocking and catching passes. In fact, I think a good blocking TE is slowly going by the wayside. Heath might be the last of that breed.

Once you start looking at Gronkowski and Hernandez from NE you see that they are rarely called upon as a primary blocker. They might try and seal a back-end or stand and get in the way of a defender but they aren't used like Heath with running plays constantly going in their direction. I think the only one in this year's draft that would be similar to Heath was that guy Kelce from Cincinnatti. He supposedly is a great blocker and developing into a good receiver.

I think the position of TE is really going by the wayside. Nowadays the TE is either a big wide receiver or a small offensive lineman. Heath might be the last of a dying breed.
    Sorry IkeStops....one error in my typing screwed up my entire post. I intended to say:
    'there are a ton of TE in the NFL who are pass catching TE's and AREN'T good blockers'
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Sorry IkeStops....one error in my typing screwed up my entire post. I intended to say:
    'there are a ton of TE in the NFL who are pass catching TE's and AREN'T good blockers'
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    sorry man. We were thinking alike....
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Miller and Spaeth are locks to make it. Assuming Paulsen is close. Then you have David Johnson coming back (and the endless debate about whether Will Johnson could be a dual FB/TE and take his spot). The Steelers brought in Zack Pinalto - Bills cut him and limited playing time with the Bucs and Jamie McCoy - undrafted, never been more than a practice squad guy.

15 free agents being brought in and not a singe TE in the group.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I had to guess I would say Spaeth and Paulson are our TE's.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth: "There is a sense of determination"

Posted 5/1/13
    Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Tight end Matt Spaeth has been taking part in the Steelers offseason program since it began on April 15, but he is still getting a warm welcome every time one of his teammates see him for the first time. That was the case earlier this week when cornerback Ike Taylor was all smiles seeing Spaeth, who rejoined the Steelers this offseason as a free agent.

“It’s awesome. It’s a great feeling to be back,” said Spaeth. “It really started to hit home when I first came in for the workouts, that I was back and I would be staying. Once you see the old stuff, the locker room, being on the field, it really sets in.”

Spaeth was the Steelers third-round draft pick in 2007 out of Minnesota, seeing playing time mainly in the two-tight end set and on special teams. He signed with the Chicago Bears after the 2010 season, playing there the last two years.

The Bears released Spaeth on March 13, and the Steelers brought him back, giving them depth at tight end with Heath Miller still recovering from a knee injury.

Spaeth is taking full advantage of the offseason program, not just to stay in shape but to pick up on all of the changes in the offense under coordinator Todd Haley.

“This offseason is important for me for sure,” said Spaeth. “The stuff in the classroom is going to be the biggest thing for me, learning the playbook and all of that. The conditioning and physical part you learn the ropes over time. I am not worried about that part. But the more confident you are with the playbook, the better you are going to feel in practice and the better you can play.”

Spaeth said he already senses the determination the team has to get back to the playoffs this year, and thinks having a mix of veterans participating in the offseason program helps to keep that feeling strong.

“There is a sense of determination and that is why I wanted to be back here,” said Spaeth. “I love it. This team is so young. It’s a different team than when I was here before. It’s important for me to be around these guys and show them I am here to work. I am here to put my hand in the pile and help others any way I can.”

With some turnover on the roster, Spaeth said he still feels like he needs to prove himself, a feeling he thinks he will always have.

“This league is not what have you done, it’s what are you going to do for me,” said Spaeth. “I know that. I understand that. I am here to work and do whatever I can to help this team win.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Spaeth-There-is-a-sense-of-determination/3d464181-1c53-450f-8e35-3d6d469762c3[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha