5.158 SEA Luke Willson, Rice
    6.172 OAK Nick Kasa, Colorado
    6.184 OAK Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
    6.201 HOU Ryan Griffin, Connecticut
    7.211 DET Michael Williams, Alabama
    7.219 ARZ D.C. Jefferson, Rutgers
    7.222 BUF Chris Gragg, Arkansas
    7.254 IND Justice Cunningham, South Carolina

Any of those guys float your boat? The next two TE's off the board, picked in the 4th and 5th round, were actually backups on their college teams (Stanford TE Zach Ertz and Rice TE Vance McDonald were both picked in the 2nd round by the Eagles and Niners, respectively).
    My pick would have been D.C. Jefferson. I'd never heard of the guy before today, I just like his name.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would have picked Toilolo or Kasa over Justin Brown.
    Well, since Justin Brown was taken with 6.186, both Toilolo (4.133 to Atlanta) and Kasa (6.172 to Oakland) were already off the board.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Matt Spaeth is tough, that's why he has his job

By Neal Coolong on Jul 1 2013

The blue-collar Minnesota native feels his desire to "mix it up" in the trenches is the reason he's still employed in the NFL. He gives credit for his willingness to do that from his father, the owner of a construction company.

Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth hated working for his dad growing up.

The owner of a Masonry company in St. Michael, Minn., a smallish town northwest of Minneapolis, Ken Spaeth played football at Nebraska and with the Buffalo Bills for a short period. He would drag his sons with him to work whenever they weren't in school or practicing, Matt told Mike Max of CBS Minnesota.

"That's why I have a job, to be honest with you. I like that and I enjoy that, and the physical nature, and getting in and mixing it up and the grimey stuff - that's what I like. And I think that's why I've been able to last as long as I've had in the league. I'm willing and capable of doing it," he said.

The Spaeth family can be seen from time-to-time at the Steeler Fans of Minnesota viewing parties at McGovern's in St. Paul. Matt, at 6-foot-7, may be smaller than his father. He's very hard to miss.

By all accounts, they grew up Vikings fans, which isn't odd. They cheered for their son in his first stint with Pittsburgh, and judging by Spaeth's interview with CBS Minnesota, he's happy to be back.

"I love the city of Pittsburgh and playing for the Steelers. It's an incredible organization with a great fan base. And you know, I just like to tell people that I'm gonna go out, and no matter what I'm gonna give it all I got every time, and I'm gonna play hard and do the little things that hopefully help us win," he said.

Spaeth will face his boyhood team, Minnesota, for the second time as a Steeler in Week 4 as the Steelers and Vikings travel to London as part of the league's international series. Playing the last two seasons with Chicago, he had the chance to play in front of his hometown once each year - a win in 2011 followed by a loss last season.

The Steelers beat the Vikings in Pittsburgh in 2009, one of the few losses the Vikings would take that season. In all that time, during a career that has already outweighed the length expectancy of any NFL player, Spaeth hasn't lost sight of the simple fact he didn't just make it in the NFL, he's still going.

"It's been a whirlwind to think this is year seven for me. I was just talking to somebody else, I don't want to say this, but I'm coming up on 30 and to think I'll be 30 playing in the NFL is just amazing. It's been a dream come true," Spaeth said.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/1/4482270/steelers-matt-spaeth-minnesota[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth won't be an offensive juggernaut. But, he will come in get his 3-4 catches a game, block well, and hold down the fort until Heath is healthy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Spaeth signing provided great value imo. He will be serviceable enough to solidify the TE position until Miller returns. I also think the Steelers are confident enough in his abilities at blocking that Spaeth could be viewed as the #4 LT on gamedays. I think the TE is stronger than last year with a healthy Miller.

I do think it needs to be addressed next draft though. It is looking like a pretty good draft early for TEs too which is good news for us. I'm an Austin Seferian-Jenkins fan. I think he is "next generation" Steelers type of TE. If he proves he learned from his mistake and has another good season he may climb out of reach without a trade up. I will wait to see how he does in 2013 and see where & how the Steelers finish before I say he is worth a 1st & 2nd. Maybe a kick back 4th in that scenario. On paper, if the OL becomes solid and the young guys are who they thought they would be...The roster may be set with starters & depth. Being that we gave up our 3rd and may be getting 3-4 comps back...This sounds like it could be a "target" draft & giving up some picks makes sense.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 07-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers TE David Paulson still a work in progress

By Christopher Carter on Jul 30 2013

Steelers' backup David Paulson didn't have an impressive 2012 season and still needs to improve his skills as a blocking tight end for Pittsburgh.

One of the more quiet additions to the Steelers roster was their 3rd string tight end David Paulson. He probably only caught the seven passes listed on his stat sheet for 51 yards because Steelers tight end/fullback David Johnson was lost for the year during preseason. He's also smaller than the injured starter Heath Miller, listed an inch shorter and ten pounds lighter.

That size disadvantage may seem insignificant on paper, but it was apparent when he needed to block for Pittsburgh during last season. That was also apparent when matched up with Steelers rookie first round draft pick Jarvis Jones, as the former Georgia player tossed around Paulson with ease. Tomlin got on Paulson after Jones beat him, but the soft-spoken tight-end kept his cool and took it in stride.

Paulson was drafted for his soft hands that he showed off while at Oregon University where he put together over 1,000 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns in his last two seasons. Tight ends coach James Daniels saw him as a solid pickup for a seventh rounder, and maybe he was, but to be effective in the Steelers offense as a tight end, you have to block.

Granted that Jarvis Jones was drafted so high specifically so he could beat better blockers than Paulson, but that doesn't excuse the tight end from any losses he may take on the line of scrimmage. If he wants to be a player who shoulders part of the load while Miller is injured, he can't afford to be a liability in run blocking schemes or pass protection.

His soft hands show promise that he may be a receiving threat for Ben Roethlisberger, and his quiet demeanor is a signal that maybe he could keep his head down and develop into a solid role player for the team. But as of today, this tight end needs to continue working on his skills at the line of scrimmage.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/30/4571072/steelers-david-paulson-tight-end-heath-miller-injury-status/in/4329189[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha