Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tight End

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Paulson is not a front line TE. He is more an H-back. He lacks the size to do what we ask our TEs to do. That is why they brought Spaeth back.
    Paulson is the exact same size as Dennis Pitta with just as good hands and same speed. Baltimores running game didn't seem to suffer and Pitta put up Heath like numbers if not better.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Paulson is not a front line TE. He is more an H-back. He lacks the size to do what we ask our TEs to do. That is why they brought Spaeth back.
    Again I disagree. They brought Spaeth back because they knew Heath would be out while. They need a stopgap that knows the offense and was cheap. Spaeth fit the bill.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Again I disagree. They brought Spaeth back because they knew Heath would be out while. They need a stopgap that knows the offense and was cheap. Spaeth fit the bill.

We'll see who lines up as the starter. My bet is it won't be Paulson. Paulson is a #2 or #3...period.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No it won't be Paulson. No one said it would. Spaeth will be the starter. He has experience and they know exactly what they have in him. You said we needed a QB and a TE to develop. The TE they will develop is Paulson.

Backup

User Info Menu

We needed both a young QB to develop and a TE. What we did not need was a second WR drafted when we drafted Brown.
    I don't think they urgently needed a young QB to develop, especially since they signed Gradkowski in the offseason. That could've waited one more season considering they needed a TE.

Also, considering the age of Plax and Cotchery, and also considering the fact that Sanders may leave in free agency next year, yes, a second WR was very necessary. And you know what? The Steelers may have to draft another WR or two next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers also signed another TE although likely for training camp body

The Steelers also signed rookie tight end Peter Tuitupou from San Jose State and placed tight end Zack Pianalto on the waived/injured list. Tuitupou went undrafted in April
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Pianalto had actually played in the NFL before signing with the Steelers...but, probably still a camp body...

Starter

User Info Menu

Think you're right on that. He has avg numbers and is on the smallish side for TE's. Nearly identical to Paulson but not quite as smooth.

There is plenty of room and time for growth by Paulson. He has a lot of upside. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up in TC.

The one released, Zack Pianalto was plagued by injuries throughout his college career. Not making it though OTAs? Probably will not see him again. The article in todays PG also mentioned TS have signed 8 of the nine picks. Only Landry remains. Hmm! June 3 only. Seems like TS really mean business this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth and Paulson will be enough. Both can catch, Spaeth is an underrated blocker...they will be fine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    I don't think they urgently needed a young QB to develop, especially since they signed Gradkowski in the offseason. That could've waited one more season considering they needed a TE.

Also, considering the age of Plax and Cotchery, and also considering the fact that Sanders may leave in free agency next year, yes, a second WR was very necessary. And you know what? The Steelers may have to draft another WR or two next year.
    I think you are right. But, when you get a chance to draft a possible prototypical NFL franchise QB in the 4th you do it. Landry has all the tools to be great. I only wonder about his love for the game.