Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnell Lake Needs To Be Our Next DC

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I get the impression the DL is a genius. He's an Xs and Os guy with more experience than any DC ever. I think DL is also a great person. Very approachable and connects with these young men. I suspect Butler has been mentored into a similar mold.

But where I think the problem lies is their ability to translate these complex concepts into something simple that these young kids coming out of college can readily understand. Heck Troy who's one of the more cerebral players in the game had a hard time understanding the complexity of the system right away.

Everyone fits into this mold of making things complex - DL, Butler, Mitchell, etc.

Then Carnell comes along and seem to take a different approach. And he says the system really isn't that complex. It's just football. So apparently he understands the system in this very simple way. And he says it's on him to bring these young kids up to speed quickly. He even used the example of he had to get Victorian ready in the system in 2 weeks time due to injury.

Maybe Carnell's smarter than all these guys combined because he can see the simplicity in the system and teach the simplicity. And I do think the system is complicated. And when Carnell was asked if Shmarko will play FS or SS, he said all Pittsburgh Ss play both positions based on the situation. Heck, I didn't even realize Troy and Clark both play FS and SS at different times until I heard that.

But somehow we're learning Carnell is breaking this stuff down in some simple way to make it easier for 1st year players to understand. And he's not even getting 1st round picks.

Maybe it's the fact that he played so many positions. Or he knows the Steelers from playing for the Steelers. Or he had a quick stint in college and understands what college kids need to transition to be successful.

Whatever it is, he's able to do something that no other coach seems to be able to do. Ovi's gotta have a man crush on Lake when he hears him confidently saying his first year guys will be ready to play and that's on Lake to make it happen.
    Yes I do because Lake is smart enough to see that the complexity is only fooling ourseleves. Lake is one of may all time favorite Steelers and I'd love to see him become the DC and get rid of the overly complex nonsense that keeps players off the field and let's fading players stay around too long because they "know the system."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

He has to be next dc. Would hate if he ends coaching elsewhere

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I coach hs football and our staff sit down and talk football with him I think he is a great guy and would be happy to have him as a future dc

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    #1 D and missing the playoffs...no thanks! Great for a bumper sticker but not for the Steelers.
    The O struggles and injuries got us out of the playoffs. You can't be no 1 D and not make the playoffs unless something is really wrong with the other side of the ball.

Injuries to QB. No consistent RB. Most of the WRs are overrated.
    Last edited by Adam Powell; 04-28-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Powell View Post
    The O struggles and injuries got us out of the playoffs. You can't be no 1 D and not make the playoffs unless something is really wrong with the other side of the ball.

I agree with you 100 percent

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd put turnovers and injuries at the top of the list as to why the team didn't make the playoffs. The team was probably good enough to overcome injuries. They were not good enough to over come turnovers. Very few teams can over come turnovers to win games a majority of the time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, it is tough to blame a defense that ended the season ranked #1, but I can try... The offense is by no means blameless, but we probably would've been closer to making it if the #1 ranked D was able to create more turnovers than it did (probably at the bottom of league rankings in that category).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yes, it is tough to blame a defense that ended the season ranked #1, but I can try... The offense is by no means blameless, but we probably would've been closer to making it if the #1 ranked D was able to create more turnovers than it did (probably at the bottom of league rankings in that category).
    Wouldn't have mattered last year..

The O was pathetic and very creative at giving the ball back.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    A D can't control turnovers. A D can't just go into a game and say " were gonna get X amount of turnovers".

Also our turnover machine Troy was out most of the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

A D can't control turnovers. A D can't just go into a game and say " were gonna get X amount of turnovers".

Also our turnover machine Troy was out most of the season.
    The best way to get turnovers is to pressure the QB and force bad decisions. We haven't been able to do that for a while now.