Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your overall grade for the steelers draft class.

Starter

User Info Menu

I rate the draft as a solid “B.” I’m not exactly sure why the Steeler management chose Bell so early, but I assume they were either (a) worried another team would grab him, or (b) they felt his attributes (less spinning, good hands) set him apart in the context of the new Steeler offense. In actuality, I’m probably just as excited by the V. Williams and S. Thomas picks as I am by the earlier J. Jones and M. Wheaton selections.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think the draft was solid from top to bottom. Not disappointed with any of the picks. I thought Bell may have been a reach initially...but I have heard since that he would have been selected by round 3... If he's the steeler's guy, I'm fine with taking him in the 2nd.

Didn't know much about the Wheaton kid prior to the draft, but he has been compared favorably to Wallace, Brown, and Sanders coming out of the draft. He has great speed, and is a solid route runner. I'm thinking this kid will be an impact player, and make Sanders expendable (if not signed).

I have heard alot of positives about the 6th and 7th round picks also. Those positions were certainly areas of need.

Overall I give this draft a "B"... Nice job attempting to address areas of need. The sooner this class can get reps and contribute, the sooner the steelers will be contenders again. I am also hoping that last year's draft starts to live up to it's potential. If they begin to perform, I can see us back in the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by Big Ern McCracken; 04-28-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Steelers identified they wanted to improve the pass rush, score more TD's in the end zone & upgrade the running game. Pretty sure they mentioned getting more turnovers too.

Looks like the draft was designed to cover those 'wants'.

Hard to really find much wrong with the draft. Bell isn't Chadman's favourite RB, but he's not Chadman's least-favourite either. Same with Landry Jones- not necessarily the QB Chadman would go with, BUT... he has a lot of positives.
    Excellent point.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Backup

User Info Menu

BTW My grade right now is B+ because we lost a 3rd in 2014 and pick up a QB in 4th.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

I give it an A.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I give it a C at this point. L Jones, S Thomas and V Williams picks are wins for me. I am not sold on the Bell, J Jones and Wheton picks at all. We had to trade a 3rd next year to get Thomas, even though we should get a 3rd and 4th comp pick next year. the other picks are development type players.
    Last edited by calmkiller; 04-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

I would give them a solid B+. Got all the positions they needed except Tight End.

IMO Like the Mendenhall/Sweed draft, this draft will be all about how Jones/Bell perform and will make or break how this draft is viewed in the future. If both are solid Pros. Jones has to be a star, but Bell doesn't need to be a star just a solid NFL RB, than this will turn out to be a good draft. We need Jones/Bell to be Timmons/Woodley and not Mendenhall/Sweed.

Wheaton is replacement for Sanders when he, Cotchery and Burress leave after 2013.

Thomas will at a minimum be a special teams star. If he can be Ryan Clark 2.0 that will be great.

Love the Landry Jones pick. IMO we got a steal who given a couple years to learn will be a solid NFL starter.

Hawthorne IMO will struggle to make the Final 53. Same with Justin Brown. IMO just Practice Squad players.

I think Vince Williams will challence Sly Stevenson for a roster spot.

Nick Williams is very long term project in prep for switch to 4-3 (Sorry but couldn't resist).
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I view this draft in a little different perspective maybe from others. According to most of what i have read from "experts", this draft was not stocked with superstar talent. This was the kind of draft where teams could find depth and role players at multiple positions. The way teams drafted bore this out, filling needs for the most part. After the early run on OL, you didnt see teams lining up for any particular position, but rather selecting what based on team needs.
    When viewed in that light, I think the Steelers did quite nice in finding potential future starters. I too, was down on the Bell pick, but that fact that RBs didnt go until round 2 and the touted Lacy was the 4th back taken tells me teams were more focused on how the RBs would be used in their offense, rather than moulding an offense around the RB. Remember, its a passing league now, so it's not necessary to have a star RB, only one that can gain positive yards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    but that fact that RBs didnt go until round 2 and the touted Lacy was the 4th back taken tells me teams were more focused on how the RBs would be used in their offense, rather than moulding an offense around the RB. Remember, its a passing league now, so it's not necessary to have a star RB, only one that can gain positive yards.
    One of the more astute posts in a long. You hit the nail on the head. Teams are more and more drafting what they ned to fit what they do. I like the Bell pick. Not spectacular or Adrian Peterson-like but gets positive yards especially after contact. Bell is also an asset in the passing game blocking and catching.

It is a pass first league now and I think how this draft played out it should once and for all put a nail in the coffin of those dreaming for power run game of the past with a feature back like Bettis or Franco. I hope Art II was paying attention.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

And both Williams were good value at the end of the draft. Vince is probably a 2 down thumper. That's ok, but I'd ultimately like a different LB in time. Williams looks like an athletic freak. Never heard of Samford. Never saw him play. But he's an underwear warrior. And he's a monster in size. Should be interesting to see what we can do with him. That's a complete hit or miss pick.

But again, it's all gravy cause Jones and Thomas are 2 of the best picks we've had in a long time. I'm ready to anoint them both All Pro.
    Samford is in Birmingham, Alabama... it was Bobby and Terry Bowden's first head coaching job. They plat 1AA ball now in the same league as Georgia Southern, App State, et al.