Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your overall grade for the steelers draft class.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Your overall grade for the steelers draft class.

Jarvis Jones- OLB- Georgia

Le'veon Bell- RB- Michigan State

Markus Wheaton- WR- Oregon State

Shamarko Thomas- S- Syracuse

Landry Jones- QB- Oklahoma

Terry Hawthorne- CB- Illinois

Justin Brown- WR- Oklahoma

Vince Williams- LB- Florida State

Nick Williams- DT- Samford

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'd give them a 'B'. Overall, I think it was a good draft. I still don't like taking Bell in the 2nd
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like the pool of new players, overall. I think Jones was the best defensive player on the board when we picked, and I'm excited about Thomas and both of the Williams's. I think it was time to take a QB to groom as a backup. I don't see how Justin Brown makes the team, but he might develop on the practice squad. Not sure that we couldn't have gotten a better CB than Hawthorne with the pick. I hope he's starter material, but I don't quite see it. I like Wheaton, just a bit worried that he's too much like what we've already got at WR. But I suspect the team will let Sanders walk after the season, so it's probably good we got Wheaton. I like Bell, but think we spent an earlier pick than we needed to on him. Addressed a lot of needs, so that was good.

I'll give the draft a "B-", with the potential to be changed to an "A." (By way of reference, the past several years, I've given "C" to "C-" grades.) So I'm fairly happy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

B+ overall
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    B+ overall
    At this point in time, I agree.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I think it was a great draft
    Didn't reach on anyone besides maybe bell and every pick was a position need
    A-

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

17. Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia: A+ Grade
    This is why the same group of teams make the playoffs every year and why another group of teams always draft in the top 10. One selection after the Bills chose the No. 4 quarterback in this class, the Steelers nabbed arguably the top pass-rusher. As mentioned in my mock draft, dumb groupthink would cause Jones to fall. Pittsburgh landed a steal.

48. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State: C Grade
    The Steelers needed a running back, so they're filling a need. But Le'Veon Bell over Eddie Lacy? That's a very questionable decision, especially considering the poor success of Big Ten backs over the years. Bell is more than a Big Ten plodder because he can block and catch the ball out of the backfield, but I wouldn't have taken him this early.

79. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: A- Grade
    Surprise, surprise, another steal for Pittsburgh. Markus Wheaton was a consensus second-round prospect who shouldn't have fallen to the middle of the third frame. He'll fill a big need as a downfield receiver in the wake of Mike Wallace's departure.

111. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse: A Grade
    I'm pretty sure I mocked Shamarko Thomas to the Steelers in the third round, so I obviously like his value. Thomas is small, but he's a good player and should be able to start down the road once Pittsburgh's aging safeties move on.

115. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma: C- Grade
    I usually like Steelers picks, so it feels weird to give them a bad grade. They needed a backup quarterback, but Landry Jones is barely functional. Many people I trust believe that Jones should have gone undrafted. After all, he wasn't even used in the red zone at Oklahoma.

150. Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois: B+ Grade
    The Steelers lost Keenan Lewis in free agency to the Saints, so it's no surprise that they used a mid-round pick on the cornerback position. Terry Hawthorne definitely fits the range.

186. Justin Brown, WR, Oklahoma: C Grade
    I'm not sure I would have considered Justin Brown draftable if the draft were 10 rounds, so this is a reach. However, it's the middle of the sixth round, so that's not a huge deal at this juncture.

206. Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State: A Grade
    Leave it to the Steelers to find a steal with the final pick in the sixth round. Vince Williams is pretty talented, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he eventually emerged as a starter.

223. Nick Williams, DE/DT, Samford: A- Grade
    I thought Nick Williams would go a round or two earlier, so it's no surprise that Pittsburgh landed another value selection. There are some disappointing defensive ends on Pittsburgh's roster, so it wouldn't surprise me if Williams eventually was considered to be a starter.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013pit.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Still not excited by the Bell pick... especially since I was then treated to watching the Ratbirds snap up Arthur Brown immediately afterward. Look at the RB talent that was going in the late rounds... Mike Gillislee, Kenjon Barner, Andre Ellington, Spencer Ware, Jawan Jamison, Kerwynn Williams all could have been had R5 or later.

The Landry Jones pick was a let down as well. Could've had Ryan Griffin or Zac Dysert in the 6th... decent developmental QB's, either one. Switching that pick lets you take Jesse Williams, who would provide high quality D line depth to insure against the loss of Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only grade that I disagree with is the Landry Jones pick. It's a fourth round pick for a quarterback that in his sophomore year was being touted as a top 10 pick when he comes out. The Steelers need a young and hopefully reliable backup for Ben. This kid is going to get snaps, because Ben isn't changing the way he plays and he'll miss 2-3 games per year. Jones either develops and can replace Ben or develops and becomes trade bait, he's sharp as a tack when it comes to football (if you watched Gruden's QB camp) and he can make the throws. With the run on quarterbacks in the 4th round it was prudent to take him if you wanted to begin the process of replacing Ben.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount