Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your overall grade for the steelers draft class.

Legend

User Info Menu

C................as george costanza says, 'right in the meaty part of the curve'
    the bell pick and jones pick were huge disappointments

how nice would it have been to take the trade that dallas did and let NE sign sanders?
    Last edited by squidkid; 04-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Walter is right on in talking about 'disappointing defensive ends'... Disappointing doesn't begin to cover Ziggy Hood. If the guy doesn't re - up after the season for next to nothing, he should be gone. As a first round pick, he should look like a Smitty or Ray Seals or Brentson Buckner did at 3 - 4 DE. As it is, he makes fewer plays than any DE the Steelers have started in at least 15 years. Would take Keisel, KVO... Smitty goes without saying... got to go back to the forgettable tandem of Kevin Henry and Orpheus Roye to find an equally unsuccessful DE. Would've loved to see a higher pick spent on the position.

Legend

User Info Menu

B +

Only pick I didnt like was the Bell pick. Hopefully he bucks the trend of Big10 rbs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers identified they wanted to improve the pass rush, score more TD's in the end zone & upgrade the running game. Pretty sure they mentioned getting more turnovers too.

Looks like the draft was designed to cover those 'wants'.

Hard to really find much wrong with the draft. Bell isn't Chadman's favourite RB, but he's not Chadman's least-favourite either. Same with Landry Jones- not necessarily the QB Chadman would go with, BUT... he has a lot of positives.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    C................as george costanza says, 'right in the meaty part of the curve'
    the bell pick and jones pick were huge disappointments
    Why that don't surprise me, are you really a Steeler fan OR you just hate Tomlin so much.
    A- I heard Dave te Thomas (DRAFT EXPERT )before the draft say if the Steelers grab Bell in the 3rd that they would go back to the Superbowl, so they grab him a round early who I think is more of a zone blocking back than Lacey.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Why that don't surprise me, are you really a Steeler fan OR you just hate Tomlin so much.
    A- I heard Dave te Thomas (DRAFT EXPERT )before the draft say if the Steelers grab Bell in the 3rd that they would go back to the Superbowl, so they grab him a round early who I think is more of a zone blocking back than Lacey.
    Squid has taken on the role of the car wreck... just negative about everything.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Squid has taken on the role of the car wreck... just negative about everything.
    Every forum has at least one of those. We call them hipsters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Powell View Post
    Jarvis Jones- OLB- Georgia

Le'veon Bell- RB- Michigan State

Markus Wheaton- WR- Oregon State

Shamarko Thomas- S- Syracuse

Landry Jones- QB- Oklahoma

Terry Hawthorne- CB- Illinois

Justin Brown- WR- Oklahoma

Vince Williams- LB- Florida State

Nick Williams- DT- Samford
    A+++

I know it's premature to grade a draft, but I think we landed ourselves 2 defensive stars that have the potential to produce at the level of a James or Troy in Jarvis and Shmarko. Best pass rusher and best S in the draft. Everything else is gravy. Bell looks like an Eddie George clone and while I wasn't a fan of drafting him so high, he fills a need and looks like a great back. And with his size, people are gonna have to load the box to stop the run which is gonna open up the passing game.

I'm gonna trust the Steelers on Wheaton and Brown because they somehow hit it out of the park on WRs. And Haley was just as giddy about Wheaton running a 4.4 and slipping as Tomlin was about Jarvis running a 4.9 and slipping. Time will tell, but I think we might have something special in Wheaton.

Jones by some accounts is the best QB in the draft. Not a need, but I dont have a problem with the pick. We'll probably develop him and turn him into future draft picks.

Hawthorne - meh. But he played well at the East Shrine game and Carnell likes him and thinks he can fix his technique and make him like an Ike clone.

And both Williams were good value at the end of the draft. Vince is probably a 2 down thumper. That's ok, but I'd ultimately like a different LB in time. Williams looks like an athletic freak. Never heard of Samford. Never saw him play. But he's an underwear warrior. And he's a monster in size. Should be interesting to see what we can do with him. That's a complete hit or miss pick.

But again, it's all gravy cause Jones and Thomas are 2 of the best picks we've had in a long time. I'm ready to anoint them both All Pro.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    every board needs a guy like me to negate the fans like you who rate every draft an A+, every FA move genius, every front office decision excellent, and question peoples fandoms if they dont blindly support every move the steelers make or dont make. etc.etc. etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Powell View Post
    Every forum has at least one of those. We call them hipsters.
    says the guy who has 5 posts and just joined..............we calls those posters bandwagon fans