Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vince Williams

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    that was my take all offseason - needed a run stuffer... which is why i really like this draft selection... whether the kids pan out remains to be seen, but, IMO, they nailed their needs
    I agree. But have to add that in base defense the defense needs LB's to cover 2 TE sets some times correct? If he can not cover teams will try to catch him on the field in a mismatch IMO. So it will be nice to have him and Spence rotate and even switch who starts depending on the other teams offense. If Spence can ever play again. Some times it would be nice to have 2 Timmons types on the field IMO. But another Foote type will work also.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm more interested in the late-round kid from Samford. Guys like this guy, what you see is what you get--a solid though limited guy.

The unknown kid from Samford is an unknown quantity--a ball of clay to be molded.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good leadership shown by Vince Williams at Steelers’ rookie minicamp

By Christina L Rivers on May 8, 2013

Vince Williams, drafted second in the the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft, showed something special to the Steelers organization during rookie minicamp. While some believe he will struggle to make the cut following training camp, there is a real possibility that Williams has more to offer than first expected. Bob Labriola of Steelers Digest certainly thinks that is the case.

Labriola was a guest on the Steelers Live show, Tuesday. Labriola was asked about the performances of the rookies, and a player he admitted had caught his attention was Williams. “A couple of the things that I liked about him, were, first of all, it wasn’t very long into the on-field sessions when [Vince] Williams was instructing teammates about where they needed to be…and shifting…Williams did a lot of the defensive play calling during his college career and it seems like he has a very high football IQ. And it seemed to me, watching from the side, that that was a little bit on display right from the beginning.”

While playing at Florida State, Williams was mainly a two-down linebacker. On third downs, he would be replaced by an extra defensive back, but never another linebacker. To simply look at Williams on paper wouldn’t justify his worth. If you took a mathematical view of Williams’ college stats and then added the potential statistical rating if he played third or even fourth down, then you’d have a much broader picture.

The Steelers have lost a lot of leadership over the past two seasons with the departure of Hines Ward among other veterans. It is refreshing to see a young guy who is fighting for a roster spot step up right away and make critical decisions on the field and assist others in a positive way.

Labriola also mused that special teams coach Danny Smith might be excited by Williams’ play on special teams. While special teams are not run at the same pace in minicamp, Williams showed he has the ability to be very disruptive to opposing teams. “One of the main concepts, basic concepts of playing special teams, covering kicks,” Labriola said, “is find the guy with the ball, get the guy with the ball on the ground…that sounds like a very simplistic thing, but sometimes it can be a little bit more complicated than we might think.” Labriola said that Williams is the type of player who can make that kind of adjustment on special teams to create opportunities for the Steelers.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_talked_to_max_starks_about_returning_star ks_now_likely_to_sign_with_the_san_diego_chargers/13582580[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    On third downs, he would be replaced by an extra defensive back, but never another linebacker.
    I keep repeating this... we do not know that he cannot cover... may well have been that their scheme called for another DB in passing situations.

Legend

User Info Menu

A guy that has high football IQ can make up for some amount of lack of talent. Knowing where and when to be is not an easily measurable stat, but it can make a huge difference in a player's game.

....besides, it always fun to root for the underdog.

BTW, who do you suppose is the biggest underdog on the team this year?

"underdog": One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A guy that has high football IQ can make up for some amount of lack of talent. Knowing where and when to be is not an easily measurable stat, but it can make a huge difference in a player's game.

....besides, it always fun to root for the underdog.

BTW, who do you suppose is the biggest underdog on the team this year?

"underdog": One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics
    I would have to think that the biggest underdog right now is Worilds

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I would have to think that the biggest underdog right now is Worilds
    Yep, he's being completely written off. Mostly, this is because a lot of fans were never on board with him to begin with. No matter that he's shown more in three years than Harrison did his first three years.

I'm sure its mostly about draft position and not drafting a Pedophile State player. But who was he going to surpass, Woodley or Harrison?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

I would not be shocked if Worilds came out and had a double digit sack year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would not be shocked if Worilds came out and had a double digit sack year.
    I wouldn't be either. He's a talented guy with something to prove. He's been in the system and should know what he's doing. The big thing for him is to actually be healthy enough to stay on the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Worild's has a fantastic year, Woodley performs well, and Jones shows he is what we hope he is....GREAT!

let Worilds sign a big contract somewhere else and get a good comp pick in return