Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Hawthorne

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Hawthorne

What are your impressions? I don't know much about this one. He's big and physical, evidently. We needed to draft a CB...maybe Lake can coach him up?

Backup

User Info Menu

Four-year starter, but his durability is a red flag. Versatile athleticism with NFL aggressiveness and timing. Rangy and confident.
    Good height and frame for the position. Excellent athlete with more than enough speed. Fluid footwork and smooth hip action to quickly change directions. Nice job reading and reacting in a flash.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Anyone ever know of a player who was injury prone in college and then became an IronMan in the NFL?? at least play 13 games every season?
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    What are your impressions? I don't know much about this one. He's big and physical, evidently. We needed to draft a CB...maybe Lake can coach him up?
    I only watched two videos of him on Youtube from last season and he got flagged a personal foul in each one. (vs PennState and vs OhioState - a late hit and a blow to the head). One commentator said he was Illinois' best corner, although that may not be saying much. He looked like a decent open field tackler but that was about it to me. He only had one INT last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois

Height: 6-0. Weight: 195.
    40 Time: 4.44.
    Projected Round (2013): 4-5.

4/24/13: Hawthorne was one of the best players on the field at the East-West Shrine. He did very well in man coverage and was physical. Hawthorne also showed more ball skills than previously thought. The strong week should help him on draft day.

Hawthorne followed that up with a good Combine and ran faster than expected. He is a sleeper corner who could turn into a steal.

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013CB.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers select CB Terry Hawthorne in the fifth round of the NFL Draft

By Neal Coolong on Apr 27 2013

Good size and athleticism, Hawthorne looks like a Steelers cornerback

The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Illinois cornerback Terry Hawthorne in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

This comes after a balanced approach to positional need to this point in the draft. They have selected three offensive players in the first four rounds, Hawthorne joins first round pick, OLB Jarvis Jones, as the second defensive player they've taken.

Hawthorne, a 6-foot-0, 195 pound cornerback, had a strong junior season, but fell off a bit in his senior campaign. SB Nation's Illinois site, The Champagne Room, spoke glowingly of Hawthorne's ability.

He did not live up to expectations in 2012 after a strong junior season, but the same can be said of the Illinois defense as a whole. As far as physical gifts and potential are concerned, Hawthorne may have the greatest upside of any Illinois player in this draft, as he has the ability to be a starter in the NFL, and possibly a very good one at that.

As far as his weaknesses go, the CR describes him in a similar way to a few other Steelers cornerbacks of the past.

While he has good instincts and often knows when and where the ball is going to be, he's a body-catcher rather than hands. This leads to a share of missed interceptions. While he's a willing tackler he could use work on his tackling form as he lowers his head too often, which could lead to injury to himself and penalties in the NFL.

The Steelers always are up for adding larger, tackle-friendly cornerbacks, and it seems, based on a very short film review, he's not afraid to step up and hit. He has good size and playmaking ability. It looks like he has good tools.

ESPN's Todd McShay said he has some stiffness in his hips but has quick feet. Mel Kiper said he's probably a third or a fourth cornerback.

Upon a closer look, too, he reminds me a lot of William Gay, physically. A little taller, but thin-looking and wry.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/27/4275452/steelers-draft-fifth-round-pick-terry-hawthorne-cornerback-illinois/in/4031321[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

This comes after a balanced approach to positional need to this point in the draft. They have selected three offensive players in the first four rounds, Hawthorne joins first round pick, OLB Jarvis Jones, as the second defensive player they've taken.
    Aaaa, didnt we draft Thomas?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Aaaa, didnt we draft Thomas?
    Maybe they're planning to move him to offense?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the AJ Klein selection two picks before this one left them for a loop. Just my opinion. They took a long time to make the selection. Micah Hyde was also available which was interesting.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I think the AJ Klein selection two picks before this one left them for a loop. Just my opinion. They took a long time to make the selection. Micah Hyde was also available which was interesting.
    I would have liked Klein but this kid is impressive as well. Good size and very athletic.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.