Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terry Hawthorne

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 NFL Draft Grades: 5th Round Pick, Pittsburgh Steelers, Terry Hawthorne

Apr 27th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

While it is not a pressing need at the moment, the Steelers could have issues at the cornerback position as early as next year. Thus, I totally understand why Colbert & Co. made Terry Hawthorne their 5th round pick.

Long-time starter Ike Taylor will be an Unrestricted Free Agent after the 2014 campaign, and Ike could be released next spring if Pittsburgh’s brass needs to shed payroll. Taylor might have to stick and stay through the duration of his contract though, because the depth behind him and Cortez Allen is suspect at best.

Veteran William Gay is a serviceable nickel-back, but is too often burned and manhandled by bigger slot receivers and tight ends. Behind Gay exists a glut of young, somewhat unproven, and inconsistent players in the forms of Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, and DeMarcus Van Dyke. Brown and Victorian definitely had their issues over the final four weeks of the 2012 regular season, and Van Dyke was mostly a special teams performer until he sustained a shoulder injury against the Cowboys.

I for one believe that it was a smart move by Colbert & Co. to take a player like Hawthorne for depth and developmental purposes. He fits the prototypical mold (6′ 195 lbs., 4.44 speed) of a starting outside cornerback in Pittsburgh’s defense, and Terry will definitely stick his nose into the fray to tackle ball-carriers and wide receivers. Overall, the former Fighting Illini cornerback racked up 105 tackles over the last two seasons to go along with 9.0 tackles for loss, but he will likely need to add a little bit of weight to his overall frame and some added strength to fight off blocks. Hopefully though, Hawthorne can keep himself out of harm’s way, because he sustained a scary injury last year after an open-field hit.

While Hawthorne’s hands are not the greatest, he still recorded 6 over his four-year career including 3 during his productive junior campaign. But hey, it’s not like Ike, Gay, or Keenan Lewis possessed the most reliable hands either. While Terry can play press-coverage, he should be at his best on the outside in a zone-heavy scheme due to his speed and tenacity to react and make plays on the ball.

Outside of adding depth at the cornerback position, Terry also has the ability to chip in with kicks and punt returns. Last year, Hawthore returned 12 kickoffs for 255 yards, and the Steelers would definitely be wise to take their starting wide receivers off of the return units for injury-purposes.

Overall, this is a solid value pick made by Colbert & Co., because this team needs some insurance at the cornerback position. Hopefully Hawthorne can contribute on special teams early, then move to some sub-package work by the middle of his second year.

Final Grade: B

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/04/27/2013-nfl-draft-grades-5th-round-pick-pittsburgh-steelers-terry-hawthorne/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I watch this guy a lot in college and I think he will get some playing time this year

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steel Mill

Instant analysis (TERRY HAWTHORNE)

April 27th, 2013

The Steelers addressed yet another need in the fifth round when they drafted Illinois cornerback Terry Hawthorne with the 150th overall pick.

The Steelers lost Keenan Lewis in free agency and Cortez Allen is expected to replace him. Even though they did add William Gay via free agency, the Steelers are kind of thin at the position and went into the draft looking to bolster the position.

Hawthorne is a big, physical corner who can play press coverage. He was high on everybody’s draft board before the season but fell back in part because of a poor defense he played on with Illinois along with what defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said was poor technique.

“I have a chip on my shoulder. I thought I was better than the fifth round,” Hawthorne said. “It is really nothing I can control. I just leave it up to God.”

Hawthorne played in 44 games at Illinois, making 26 starts and collecting 163 tackles. He is also able to return kicks and punts.

“What I like about him is that he has a lot of upside,” Lake said. “I like his ability and with some real work, he can even better.”

Instant analysis: He does have a lot of upside giving Hawthorne a chance to make the team with the likes of Ike Taylor, Allen, Gay, Curtis Brown, DeMarcus VanDyke and Josh Victorian, but he isn’t going to be an impact player.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/04/27/instant-analyis-terry-hawthorne/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Would love to see him displace Gay as the nickle back by the end of the year, not because I don't like Willie Gay, but because the Steelers are going to need cornerbacks starting next year.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The last line states "he isn't going to be an impact player." We'll see, but I think Lake is more than able to coach him up and turn him into Ike's replacement.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    The last line states "he isn't going to be an impact player." We'll see, but I think Lake is more than able to coach him up and turn him into Ike's replacement.
    Agreed. If Lake thinks he's got a big upside, that's what I'm going with..lol

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    The Steel Mill

Instant analysis (TERRY HAWTHORNE)

April 27th, 2013

The Steelers addressed yet another need in the fifth round when they drafted Illinois cornerback Terry Hawthorne with the 150th overall pick.

The Steelers lost Keenan Lewis in free agency and Cortez Allen is expected to replace him. Even though they did add William Gay via free agency, the Steelers are kind of thin at the position and went into the draft looking to bolster the position.

Hawthorne is a big, physical corner who can play press coverage. He was high on everybody’s draft board before the season but fell back in part because of a poor defense he played on with Illinois along with what defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said was poor technique.

“I have a chip on my shoulder. I thought I was better than the fifth round,” Hawthorne said. “It is really nothing I can control. I just leave it up to God.”

Hawthorne played in 44 games at Illinois, making 26 starts and collecting 163 tackles. He is also able to return kicks and punts.

“What I like about him is that he has a lot of upside,” Lake said. “I like his ability and with some real work, he can even better.”

Instant analysis: He does have a lot of upside giving Hawthorne a chance to make the team with the likes of Ike Taylor, Allen, Gay, Curtis Brown, DeMarcus VanDyke and Josh Victorian, but he isn’t going to be an impact player.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/04/27/instant-analyis-terry-hawthorne/[/URL]

I'm not sure he wears enough gear with Nike symbols......

Legend

User Info Menu

Is he sponsored by Nike? He's got 6 swooshes below each knee in the giant picture. WTF, he's wearing 3 pairs of socks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I'm not sure he wears enough gear with Nike symbols......
    Holy moly. I just notice the 12 below his knees, but not the other 10 above. Good grief.

He's got 22 swooshes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Holy moly. I just notice the 12 below his knees, but not the other 10 above. Good grief.

He's got 22 swooshes.
    Well, there you go- his new nickname is Swooshy.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE