Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Steelers have a new QB - Landry Jones

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers will resign Ben next year...else they will trade him. Steelers will allow Ben to have one last big contract. Either Steelers pay him or its some other team.

And i do believe Ben will have longer career than Steve McNair. Rules have change drastically. I think Ben can easily play till 38-39 yrs old unless he has some kinda career ending injury.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Did you watch Steve "Air" Mcnair? He had every bit the cannon Ben does. They are very similar players. They both ran to throw instead of running for yardage.

Mcnair had the same tendancy to hold the ball for the big play. Ben is not abandoning that, he' incapable of adjusting to it.
    Ben is a better pocket passer than given credit for. He does not start running as soon as ball is snapped.

Better O-line can fix lots of things including running game.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I partially agree but think it depends more on the development of Landry. If he is ready, they will cut Ben contender or no.
    This is what I think.. if Romo can get 55 mill guaranteed what do you think Ben will command? Not sure we are williing to pay that type of money unless Ben finds a fountain of youth. If Favre, Montana and Manning can change teams... anything is possible.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's interesting that, one week prior to the NFL draft, Landry Jones' wife got drafted into the WNBA with a higher pick than Landry did (she was a 3rd round pick, 32nd overall while he was a 4th round pick, 115th overall). It's also interesting that Landry's wife was a teammate of Ben's sister on the Sooner basketball team.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think it's interesting that, one week prior to the NFL draft, Landry Jones' wife got drafted into the WNBA with a higher pick than Landry did (she was a 3rd round pick, 32nd overall while he was a 4th round pick, 115th overall). It's also interesting that Landry's wife was a teammate of Ben's sister on the Sooner basketball team.
    Second part is interesting... I wonder if Ben and Landry have met before?

First part, not so much... if the 32 player is drafted in the 3rd round it tells you how shallow the draft is. Landry probably made more at Oklahoma than his wife will make in the WNBA. lol...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The more I hear about this kid, the more I like. I am alawys claiming that you need a number one draft pick ( high number one pick ) to give you the edge of being a champion. I'll allow this kid his chance under Big Ben and company. Eventually the team will learn if he's the next go to guy or make another selection. In any event, we need a young kid to groom and be a quality back up if nothing more becomes form him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers felt QB situation was getting old before drafting Landry Jones

By SteelCityRoller on May 3 2013

For the past few seasons, the Steelers relied on long-time veterans to backup their franchise quarterback. According to Kevin Colbert, it was time to change their minds.

Even the Pittsburgh Steelers thought their quarterback situation was getting a bit stale.

Granted, Charlie Batch has already exceeded the typical shelf-life of a pro passer, and Byron Leftwich creeps ever closer to the expiration date; but the teams feelings have nothing to do with either man's character, contributions to the team or chronological age.

In a conversation with TribLive.com, Kevin Colbert opened up on several topics. One of the most interesting answers he gave came at the topic of drafting Landry Jones from Oklahoma in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

"Not to take anything away from Charlie or Byron, because they certainly bailed us out during their tenures here, but we wanted to be able to stabilize that backup position with less of a year-to-year type proposition."

If the age of either Batch or Leftwich have anything to do with their unemployment, it is how it affects the long-view. They became victims of more forward thinking, and less reminiscing.

No one will ever forget Batch's tears of joy on the tender shoulder of Ben Roehtlisberger after defeating the Baltimore Ravens in a - at the time - must-win game; nor should the dismiss Leftwich's efforts against the same Ravens team two weeks earlier, when the Steelers came up short in a game which Leftwich played through two broken ribs. Unfortunately, both men's careers were as fragile as their aging bodies appeared to be in 2012.

When dealing with players of advanced age, teams will shy away from long term deals because of the fear of dead money should the player retire and the uncertainty toward the individual's plan. For the past few seasons, the Steelers have strung along with Batch and Leftwich on usually one-year deals. Both were qualified veterans alleviating pressure off the front office to spend important draft picks on players who will hopefully never see the field.

In 2012, despite having two overly qualified men in reserve, the team deflated when Roethlisberger suffered his unique rib/shoulder injury. Leftwich barely lasted his only start of the season, and Batch barely broke even across his two attempts.

With Roethlisberger only getting older, the team decided it needed more durable understudies when, not if, their starter gets injured again and is forced to miss time. Instead of retreading either of their old faithfuls, the Steelers went in a new direction. They signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski, who is younger than either Batch or Leftwich and has proven to be more durable over his career, and John Parker Wilson during free-agency; and then grabbed Jones in the draft.

Jones will receive a four-year contract per the terms of the current CBA. Gradkowski was signed to a three-year deal. The Steelers wanted stability at the backup quarterback position, and now they've got it for at least the next three.

As Colbert acknowledged, the team wants Roethlisberger to retire in Pittsburgh. He stands a good chance of receiving a three-year extension following the upcoming season, pending a plethora of variables. However, many expected such an extension this off-season, but no result. He could play another ten years with Pittsburgh, or he could be forced out next season by injury. Jones may not have been drafted to replace Roethlisberger, but at least he will have time to develop in case of emergency.

While any Steelers fan would wish nothing but the best for those who represent the Black and Gold, if Jones never plays a single snap in Pittsburgh because a healthy Roethlisberger was too busy accumulating Lombardi trophies, I'm pretty sure they'd be ok with it.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/3/4294912/steelers-GM-Colbert-comments-QB-situations-Landry-Jones[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    The more I hear about this kid, the more I like. I am alawys claiming that you need a number one draft pick ( high number one pick ) to give you the edge of being a champion. I'll allow this kid his chance under Big Ben and company. Eventually the team will learn if he's the next go to guy or make another selection. In any event, we need a young kid to groom and be a quality back up if nothing more becomes form him.
    I agree, If Landry Jones isn´t your starting QB in the future, maybe he´s the back up for this player you draft within a couple of years.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin on Steelers QB Landry Jones: “He is a sharp guy to put in the room.” What???

May 4th, 2013
    by jimconroy

A week before the NFL draft I wrote an article on why the Steelers needed to draft LB John Simon out of Ohio State. I presented many reasons why he was the one player I felt the Steelers not should, but needed to draft after round 1. Before rounds 4-7 last Saturday I wrote about the absolute failure the Steelers have had for over 20 years drafting quarterbacks past round 3. On Wednesday Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette went one step further and covered the last 25 years of the entire NFL. Only 7 of 125 quarterbacks drafted in 25 years after round 3 have had moderate success as starter for more than one year. Two turned out to be true success stories: Tom Brady in 2000 and Matt Hasselbeck in 1998.

After selecting Shamarko Thomas with their first pick in round 4 (#111) I was hoping the Steelers would take Simon with their second pick (#115) of the 4th round. The Steelers did have Simon in for a visit, they typically draft OSU players and he was now a value pick since he had a third round grade. I was starting to get excited with the thought of Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Simon who could have been that linebacker that could have played either inside or outside. But then the Steelers took Oklahoma QB Landry Jones and worlds were about to collide.

Why pass up on not only Simon but there were many other outstanding players who were available that early in the 4th round who can possibly start in a year or two and contribute on special teams immediately? I have read varying opinions on the Landry Jones pick from love it to hate it but all of the Steelers fans that I have spoken with have expressed anger or dismay at the selection. If the Steelers were so dead set on drafting a “developmental” quarterback why didn’t they take Tyler Bray out of Tennessee later? Is there really that much of a gap between Bray and Jones? The knocks on Bray who came out a year early are his immaturity and decision making. Landry Jones knock is his inability to handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. In fact at Oklahoma last year Jones was removed from the game whenever Oklahoma entered the red zone. Oklahoma did so because they felt Jones replacement gave them a better opportunity to score. Does this sound like a quarterback who should have been taken in the 4th round?

Most of the analysts on ESPN and NFL Network did not like the Landry pick and none had much good to say about Landry Jones last 2 years at Oklahoma stating to “throw away” his senior year tape. The analysts said Jones looked like a first round prospect after his sophomore year but got progressively worse because he couldn’t handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. Trent Dilfer went on a tirade trashing Oklahoma and the downward slide of Landry Jones. Only ESPN analysts Bill Polian former Colts GM and Todd McShay liked the Steelers pick of Jones.

It has always been said that because the Steelers have Roethlisberger they will always be in contention and that has proven to be true. What is bothersome about these reports on Jones is that he has not been capable of raising Oklahoma’s level of play. As the team declined so did he or was it the other way around? What Jones’ play has showed is that he is no better than the team surrounding him. Everyone who feels negatively about this pick might be wrong about Jones but the problem is we may never find out. That is what is so bothersome. With so many needs to fill coming off of an 8-8 season why take a player who Steelers GM Kevin Colbert acknowledged in post draft interview, may never see the field?

Media Frenzy

Adding to the negativity of the Jones pick is the speculation that will surely follow that he is Roethlisberger’s successor or replacement. Charlie Batch has already come out and said it and the media will continue to feed on it until one of them is no longer a Steeler. After next season the Steelers will need to extend Roethlisberger’s contract for salary cap relief as his cap hit is nearly 20 million. Roethlisberger probably feels he has 6 to 7 years left. Would he want to hear the noise about his replacement starting now? Roethlisberger is a competitor. Does Ben seem the type to help groom his replacement? Is it all possible this pick angered Roethlisberger? Is it possible the speculation from this point forward might make him dig in as James Harrison did when it comes time to renegotiate after next season as now Roethlisberger is looking for security? Just like Harrison, Ben has an ego too. How many people in any career want to have their replacement on their heels when they have more than a few years left? This pick will have a ripple effect that goes in many directions. Worse it could blow up for so many different reasons.

Worlds Collide

What was so nightmarish for me about this pick came to a head during a draft interview with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the NFL Network. When asked about the Jones pick the quote machine answered: “He is a sharp guy to put it the room”. Just as that quote was leaving Tomlin’s mouth the ticker on the bottom of the television read: “Ravens Selection #129 John Simon Ohio State University.” As always no coach in the NFL delivers a quote better than Tomlin but did anyone realize the context of that quote? Tomlin actually said they drafted Landry Jones to add to the (quarterback) room.

After the Ravens selected Simon Mayock said: “My favorite player in the draft.” Mayock called Simon a “thug” but said it was a “good term” which means he is a player you need to find a place for on your football team. Charles Davis half jokingly said that Simon probably doesn’t even know he was drafted by the Ravens because he is in the weight room. Todd McShay said Simon should have been drafted 30 picks before this and this is why the Ravens year in and year out have great drafts. Mel Kiper loved the Simon pick. Chris Mortenson said that Mike Vrable former Steelers and Patriots linebacker and current Ohio State linebackers coach was adamant about Simon telling every NFL team that Simon is a player they need on their team.

What Tomlin said was no mistake because this week Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner repeated the Tomlin quote on the drafting of Landry Jones almost verbatim, “Landry Jones is a sharp guy for the quarterback room”. What? Someone please ask Tomlin or Fichtner why they would use the 4th pick on a player for the room and not the field. Colbert acknowledged he may never play so what was the purpose of taking a quarterback at that time in the draft? Simon to the Ravens. The Ravens! When the two worlds collided my head exploded.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/04/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-qb-landry-jones-he-is-a-sharp-guy-to-put-in-the-room-what/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mike Tomlin on Steelers QB Landry Jones: “He is a sharp guy to put in the room.” What???

May 4th, 2013
    by jimconroy

A week before the NFL draft I wrote an article on why the Steelers needed to draft LB John Simon out of Ohio State. I presented many reasons why he was the one player I felt the Steelers not should, but needed to draft after round 1. Before rounds 4-7 last Saturday I wrote about the absolute failure the Steelers have had for over 20 years drafting quarterbacks past round 3. On Wednesday Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette went one step further and covered the last 25 years of the entire NFL. Only 7 of 125 quarterbacks drafted in 25 years after round 3 have had moderate success as starter for more than one year. Two turned out to be true success stories: Tom Brady in 2000 and Matt Hasselbeck in 1998.

After selecting Shamarko Thomas with their first pick in round 4 (#111) I was hoping the Steelers would take Simon with their second pick (#115) of the 4th round. The Steelers did have Simon in for a visit, they typically draft OSU players and he was now a value pick since he had a third round grade. I was starting to get excited with the thought of Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Simon who could have been that linebacker that could have played either inside or outside. But then the Steelers took Oklahoma QB Landry Jones and worlds were about to collide.

Why pass up on not only Simon but there were many other outstanding players who were available that early in the 4th round who can possibly start in a year or two and contribute on special teams immediately? I have read varying opinions on the Landry Jones pick from love it to hate it but all of the Steelers fans that I have spoken with have expressed anger or dismay at the selection. If the Steelers were so dead set on drafting a “developmental” quarterback why didn’t they take Tyler Bray out of Tennessee later? Is there really that much of a gap between Bray and Jones? The knocks on Bray who came out a year early are his immaturity and decision making. Landry Jones knock is his inability to handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. In fact at Oklahoma last year Jones was removed from the game whenever Oklahoma entered the red zone. Oklahoma did so because they felt Jones replacement gave them a better opportunity to score. Does this sound like a quarterback who should have been taken in the 4th round?

Most of the analysts on ESPN and NFL Network did not like the Landry pick and none had much good to say about Landry Jones last 2 years at Oklahoma stating to “throw away” his senior year tape. The analysts said Jones looked like a first round prospect after his sophomore year but got progressively worse because he couldn’t handle pressure or chaos in the pocket. Trent Dilfer went on a tirade trashing Oklahoma and the downward slide of Landry Jones. Only ESPN analysts Bill Polian former Colts GM and Todd McShay liked the Steelers pick of Jones.

It has always been said that because the Steelers have Roethlisberger they will always be in contention and that has proven to be true. What is bothersome about these reports on Jones is that he has not been capable of raising Oklahoma’s level of play. As the team declined so did he or was it the other way around? What Jones’ play has showed is that he is no better than the team surrounding him. Everyone who feels negatively about this pick might be wrong about Jones but the problem is we may never find out. That is what is so bothersome. With so many needs to fill coming off of an 8-8 season why take a player who Steelers GM Kevin Colbert acknowledged in post draft interview, may never see the field?

Media Frenzy

Adding to the negativity of the Jones pick is the speculation that will surely follow that he is Roethlisberger’s successor or replacement. Charlie Batch has already come out and said it and the media will continue to feed on it until one of them is no longer a Steeler. After next season the Steelers will need to extend Roethlisberger’s contract for salary cap relief as his cap hit is nearly 20 million. Roethlisberger probably feels he has 6 to 7 years left. Would he want to hear the noise about his replacement starting now? Roethlisberger is a competitor. Does Ben seem the type to help groom his replacement? Is it all possible this pick angered Roethlisberger? Is it possible the speculation from this point forward might make him dig in as James Harrison did when it comes time to renegotiate after next season as now Roethlisberger is looking for security? Just like Harrison, Ben has an ego too. How many people in any career want to have their replacement on their heels when they have more than a few years left? This pick will have a ripple effect that goes in many directions. Worse it could blow up for so many different reasons.

Worlds Collide

What was so nightmarish for me about this pick came to a head during a draft interview with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the NFL Network. When asked about the Jones pick the quote machine answered: “He is a sharp guy to put it the room”. Just as that quote was leaving Tomlin’s mouth the ticker on the bottom of the television read: “Ravens Selection #129 John Simon Ohio State University.” As always no coach in the NFL delivers a quote better than Tomlin but did anyone realize the context of that quote? Tomlin actually said they drafted Landry Jones to add to the (quarterback) room.

After the Ravens selected Simon Mayock said: “My favorite player in the draft.” Mayock called Simon a “thug” but said it was a “good term” which means he is a player you need to find a place for on your football team. Charles Davis half jokingly said that Simon probably doesn’t even know he was drafted by the Ravens because he is in the weight room. Todd McShay said Simon should have been drafted 30 picks before this and this is why the Ravens year in and year out have great drafts. Mel Kiper loved the Simon pick. Chris Mortenson said that Mike Vrable former Steelers and Patriots linebacker and current Ohio State linebackers coach was adamant about Simon telling every NFL team that Simon is a player they need on their team.

What Tomlin said was no mistake because this week Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner repeated the Tomlin quote on the drafting of Landry Jones almost verbatim, “Landry Jones is a sharp guy for the quarterback room”. What? Someone please ask Tomlin or Fichtner why they would use the 4th pick on a player for the room and not the field. Colbert acknowledged he may never play so what was the purpose of taking a quarterback at that time in the draft? Simon to the Ravens. The Ravens! When the two worlds collided my head exploded.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/04/mike-tomlin-on-steelers-qb-landry-jones-he-is-a-sharp-guy-to-put-in-the-room-what/[/URL]
    my thoughts exactly.
    i would have loved the simon pick and would have took dysert as your developmental qb in the 6th or 7th.
    wasted pick and that 3rd rounder(i know they used it on thomas but never would have drafted jones instead of thomas if they only had 1 pick in the 4th) will really hurt next year.