Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 91

Thread: Steelers select Markus Wheaton in the third

  1. #81
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers averaged 2x as many 3rd and >10 yds under BA vs Haley. Under BA Ben only completed about 55% of those passes.

    Last season Ben completed an amazing 85% of passes on 3rd >10yds.

    And you might be tempted to think Mike Wallace was at the receiving end of those passes more often than not, and you would be wrong. Brown caught 6 for 94, Wallace 4 for 86.

  2. #82
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    No dizz, this was a gameplan.....Ben does not simply decide to NOT do what he does routinely on the fly.
    Ben got the ball out of his hand quickly....DELIBERATELY.
    He was not running around and dumping off as a last resort.

    Here is the commentary at the time:

    "Roethlisberger completed 36 of 50 pass attempts and threw for 365 yards and two touchdowns in a strong 25-17 victory. The headline of this game is how the Steelers had possession of the ball for over 39 minutes and simply kept Brady in check by keeping him off the field. The Steelers instead took a page out the New Englandís playbook and used short quick passes to move the chains all day. The Steelers converted on 10 of 16 third down plays and kept Brady and company on the sideline. Brady finished with a season low 198 yards but still threw two touchdown passes."


    This was a deliberate game plan to feature short passes.
    It has to be that because it aint Ben's style of play. If it WAS Ben who "learned" to dump the ball quicker he would have kept at it.

    And not surprisingly Ben was "magical" on third down that game too, when BA for once called a "Haleyesque" game.
    Hmm... I see your point. However, I still disagree with it. Using a different formula to beat NE after 5 or 6 games doesn't mean Haleyesque dink and dunk is the future. We finally changed our game plan on both sides of the ball and it worked vs NE... however, the Denver, Cowboys, TN and Cincinnati game left a bad taste in my mouth and it looked like teams had our game plan figured out.

    I would love to think Haleyesque football means we do whatever it takes to win and switch up the formula based on the opponent but the AFCW looked like they had Haley figured out last year.

  3. #83
    It wasn't game plan, but execution...

    Not only in the AFCN games last year, but also the NE game in 2011...

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Hmm... I see your point. However, I still disagree with it. Using a different formula to beat NE after 5 or 6 games doesn't mean Haleyesque dink and dunk is the future. We finally changed our game plan on both sides of the ball and it worked vs NE... however, the Denver, Cowboys, TN and Cincinnati game left a bad taste in my mouth and it looked like teams had our game plan figured out.

    I would love to think Haleyesque football means we do whatever it takes to win and switch up the formula based on the opponent but the AFCW looked like they had Haley figured out last year.
    Actually that is EXACTLY what Haley does.
    His offense has looked completey different everywhere he has been, based on the peices available.

    Sure Ben has an arm and Wallace was fast but we DONT have a great pass blocking oline. Thus the terndancy toward short passes.

    He went from air Zona, to ground and pound KC, to what we had.
    It was fine before the injury Dizz.

    You mentioned the nati game. We did not do a dink and dunk at all.

    Three deep passes to Wallace alone. Here are throws set Wallaces way that day:

    1st quarter (6:26) (No Huddle) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to 17-M.Wallace. Coverage by #23 Newman.
    2nd quarter (13:26) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to 17-M.Wallace. Coverage by #24 Jones.
    3rd quarter(7:44) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 17-M.Wallace to CIN 29 for 13 yards (24-A.Jones).
    4th quarter (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep right intended for 17-M.Wallace INTERCEPTED by 20-R.Nelson at CIN 44.

    Brown had a touchdown on a deep throw.

    The Steelers Yards Per Completion of 16 that day would lead the league BY THREE YARDS if spread over a season DESPITE the deep drops that dont figue in.

    Similarly the Cowboys AND Tenn games you metioned had a YPC that bested the league high average of 13.0 YPC of the unstoppable Panthers.
    Of the games mentioned, only the Denver game was what one might call dink and dunk.






  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It wasn't game plan, but execution...

    Not only in the AFCN games last year, but also the NE game in 2011...
    The Nati game had two stupid picks, fumbles, a missed field goal that cold have won it, Wallace was HORRIBLE etc.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The Nati game had two stupid picks, fumbles, a missed field goal that cold have won it, Wallace was HORRIBLE etc.
    And add to the fact that when the new offense was being installed.....our deep threat was not there.

  7. #87
    As a reminder... Ben didn't like it either...


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205279/article/ben-roethlisberger-likes-steelers-revamped-offense


    Ben Roethlisberger didn't love the Pittsburgh Steelers' offense last season under new coordinator Todd Haley.
    After a mediocre season and a poor offensive performance, the Steelers haven't just changed offensive personnel, they've tweaked the playbook. And Big Ben is happy to see those changes.

    "There's been some changes this offseason in some of the offensive philosophies, playbook and some things that I think are good," Roethlisberger said Tuesday via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's some compromise from all the different position coaches, the running back coaches, the line, and quarterback coaches. I think we've taken a little bit of everything and made it a lot better."

    Last year, Roethlisberger was vocally critical of what he called a "dink-and-dunk" offense. His frustration boiled over after a December loss to the Dallas Cowboys, when he questioned the play calling.

    Entering his 10th season with the Steelers, Roethlisberger wouldn't let on to exactly what sort of changes were made to the offense -- throwing vertical more frequently?

    "You'll have to wait until the first game," he said.

    Of course Ben was asked about life without wide receiver Mike Wallace, but sounded ready to focus on the revamped playbook.
    "Obviously, we're going to miss Mike as a person, friend and teammate," Roethlisberger said. "(But) we've got to be ready to move on."

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    "There's been some changes this offseason in some of the offensive philosophies, playbook and some things that I think are good," Roethlisberger said Tuesday via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's some compromise from all the different position coaches, the running back coaches, the line, and quarterback coaches. I think we've taken a little bit of everything and made it a lot better."
    Kugler and Montgomery are gone...

    Coincidence?

  9. #89
    the point is, your franchise QB doesn't like your system and calls it ineffective, it's ineffective. u guys can argue to the contrary all you want, but, Ben's opinion trumps every one of ya.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    the point is, your franchise QB doesn't like your system and calls it ineffective, it's ineffective. u guys can argue to the contrary all you want, but, Ben's opinion trumps every one of ya.
    No argument that Ben has a say and we dont but I HOPE we DONT change just to please Ben.

    Ben also disliked the playcalling of the coaches who produced the Steelers best regular season record with Ben as QB in 2004 and his best playoff run in 2005.
    Ben would call for a big receiver and had smurfs excel while being nothing but complimentary of his putrid oline.

    Ben complained about dink and dunk after the Cowboy game? Really?

    His first pass was an incomplete bomb to Wallace
    Threw a second incomplete deep ball to Wallace on second possesion of the game
    Completed a 60 yard bomb to Wallace in the third.
    Ben completed 24 passes for 339 yards.....Dink and dunk?

    Does Ben need to throw deep on every play to be happy?
    We lost because of "dink and dunk?"
    How bout being ties a 24 in OT and throwing a HORRIBLE lame duck pass to Wallace that is picked and return to the ONE for a gimme Cowboy FG to win the game?

    Dude has a unique skill set and can do things no one else can do, but football smarts aint what makes Ben great.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-22-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •