Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select RB Le'Veon Bell in Round 2

Legend

User Info Menu

Between Bell, Ball and Lacy, it was obvious that Bell was running behind the weakest offensive line in college. What is most impressive is his yards gained after contact. As we have seen with our OL over the past few years that is an important stat given the number of times our RBs get hit behind the LOS.

I think Bell will do better than any other other RB selected in Round 2.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Between Bell, Ball and Lacy, it was obvious that Bell was running behind the weakest offensive line in college. What is most impressive is his yards gained after contact. As we have seen with our OL over the past few years that is an important stat given the number of times our RBs get hit behind the LOS.

I was hoping we'd land Gio from UNC who I think was the most talented back in the draft. I was a little surprised he was the first back taken. I didn't think anyone else had him rated as highly relative to some of the others.

At the end of the day, I think it will come down to our OLIne. If they're good, our running game will be good. If not, it won't. It doesn't matter who you are, if guys like Ngata go unblocked, no back is going anywhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell was also probably more of a focal point than the others as well. Opposing Ds knew that Bell was the primary threat and I'm sure that every team's gameplan was to stop this guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed, as I said before the draft I believe Bell will be rookie of the year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the pick was well in line.... just look at the video:

[url]http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LeVeon-Bell---Rookie-Minicamp/79ebc487-71c1-456e-bea7-8ea68edd59a3[/url]

He's going to do well.

“I’m ecstatic to get to Pittsburgh and get to work,” said Bell. “It’s a perfect fit for me.”

He sees an opportunity to become a starter in his rookie season.

It will not be easy as the Steelers have always made their rookies earn a spot on the roster, but Bell says that he will work hard to earn that respect.

307531_4455217697411_1400517004_n.jpg

Rookie

User Info Menu

Steelers' Bell

post-game-leveon-bell.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Jonathan Dwyer has competition with other backs and his backside

By Neal Coolong on May 28 2013

Jonathan Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing in 2012. His reward? A one year contract, two new running backs and the ever-expanding concern of his waistline.

What did Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer do?

Despite leading the team in rushing in 2012, he gets the dubious honor of having been the lowest single-season rushing leader since Merril Hoge in 1991.

He signed his $1.3 million tender offer nearly as soon as it arrived - well ahead of fellow running back Isaac Redman - and he was rewarded by the Steelers signing RB LaRod Stephens Howling just a few hours before drafting Le'Veon Bell in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Once dubbed the underdog late round pick, he's been filed into the doghouse, presumably left to fight for the scraps big dog Bell won't eat.

Certainly, circumstantial situations like Bell being available in the second round, or Stephens-Howling's availability along with the Steelers' need for a return man exist. These things are out of Dwyer's control. Still, signing his tender early suggests strongly he cares little for draft picks, and he's determined to show his peak mix of experience and talent is too much for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley to ignore.

That part is understood. Dwyer will have to show the results behind the rhetoric. The Steelers begin their second round of three OTA practices today in Pittsburgh. Perhaps no position can be fairly judged without contact, but the running backs more than anyone else will be subjected to the Eye Test.

As in, "H-Eye, Jonathan, please step on the scale."

Dwyer has had issues with his weight in the past, and there are fewer concerns that carry a higher need to prepare adequate insurance than a running back who spends more time at the buffet through than the treadmill. The discipline one needs to maintain peak fitness, especially when faced with a younger competitor, will be as important to Dwyer's viability as a contributor this year as his performance in OTAs or training camp.

So if he signed his RFA tender early, good for him. He'd get bonus points if he did it between running hills and a date with the squat rack.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/28/4372798/jonathan-dwyer-steelers-running-back-competition[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It seems that prior to each of about the last 5 years or so we have heard that this O is ready to explode. Remember things like "Adding Limas Sweed gives Ben the big receiver that he has wanted, that is the final piece to the puzzle"

But it seems that nobody is talking about this year, and maybe we should be. There are many question mark areas that really could go either way. It seems like a lot of players have really gotten into shape this off season and returned with a hunger.

Dwyer and Redman in shape, the return to health of Ben, the recoveries of Gilbert, Adams, and Decastro. These three are the key. If these young guys can return to health and bring a level above what we have had here the past few seasons (which is not an overly high standard) then we might have a fun and very balanced offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

A replay of Michigan St. vs. TCU in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl was on one of the ESPN's last night (probably "The Ocho" ). I watched a little bit of it, and Bell was pretty impressive. He ran hard out there and was basically his team's total offense.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I'm not mad about the pick...just felt we could have gotten him in the third. Ohh well!
    Bell would have never gotten past the run on RBs at picks #58-62 where Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael were selected.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha