Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know I am the only one on this forum...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know I am the only one on this forum...

..who would be happy if the Steelers drafted QB Matt Barkley in the second round. And even if they moved up to do it. Call me crazy but I have him as a top 10 first round pick who can be a franchise QB. Ben is my QB but to get a talent like Barkley in round two will be huge for the future of this franchise. Ben has 3 years left on his contract, could give a Hershal Walker return in a year or two, and Barkley could step right in and keep this run of success rolling for another 10 plus years.

The Steelers didn't have the foresight to see this type of thing in 1983 when it came to Dan Marino/Terry Bradshaw and as a result had long drought of ineptitude.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

sorry dub.

that would a ridiculously dumb move.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    sorry dub.

that would a ridiculously dumb move.
    Yeah that's what many Packers fans thought when the team drafted Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was passed up by 23 NFL teams and is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you like the guy. Great.

there is no way in hell this steelers team can afford a 2nd round QB.

its not even worth discussing.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think those of us that are looking ahead are right there with you *in theory* when it comes to having a young QB -- just maybe not that one...

I think the success of the USC QBs who went on to under perform in the NFL has me a little gun shy... Part of me says, "of course he looks good... he's playing with a studly O-line, a studly group of WRs, etc, etc". The history of Palmer, Leinert, Sanchez - i would just pick wrong (though Carson was *decent* in the pros at one point).

Having said all that, I'm actually more of a Landry Jones fan and he can be had 2, if not 3 rounds later...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    you like the guy. Great.

there is no way in hell this steelers team can afford a 2nd round QB.

its not even worth discussing.
    If Ben comes up injured again next season, will you still feel as if the team couldn't afford a 2nd round QB?

Ben is not going to change his style of play. Even if he has an offensive line who can block.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yeah that's what many Packers fans thought when the team drafted Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was passed up by 23 NFL teams and is now the highest paid player in NFL history.
    Favre was turning 36 the season Rodgers was drafted. And Rodgers sat for a couple of seasons after that.

QBs can usually last longer than other players.... I'm expecting 35-36 to be around Ben's cutoff point. I say 2-3 more years before spending a premium pick. At this point, you take a shot on a 4-6 rounder and hope you find a Tom Brady...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I think those of us that are looking ahead are right there with you *in theory* when it comes to having a young QB -- just maybe not that one...

I think the success of the USC QBs who went on to under perform in the NFL has me a little gun shy... Part of me says, "of course he looks good... he's playing with a studly O-line, a studly group of WRs, etc, etc". The history of Palmer, Leinert, Sanchez - i would just pick wrong (though Carson was *decent* in the pros at one point).

Having said all that, I'm actually more of a Landry Jones fan and he can be had 2, if not 3 rounds later...
    The reason I like Barkley is because he is so much better than those other USC QB's. They never had to deal with the NCAA sanctions nor had the horrendous defenses that Barkley had on his team. They all had great defenses. Barkley's release, accuracy, and composure in the pocket is far superior to those USC QB's in the past.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Favre was turning 36 the season Rodgers was drafted. And Rodgers sat for a couple of seasons after that.

QBs can usually last longer than other players.... I'm expecting 35-36 to be around Ben's cutoff point. I say 2-3 more years before spending a premium pick. At this point, you take a shot on a 4-6 rounder and hope you find a Tom Brady...
    I dont disagree with this. A lot of what you say is right but Ben plays the game different than most NFL QB's. Terry Bradshaw's career was over at 35. Why? A career ending injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

A slow car wreck..