Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    For those who didn't want this pick - may I ask why? I fully understand there are no guarantees (I bet all of us watching the draft last night saw a minimum of 10 guys who won't live up to being a #1 pick) but since college ball is the only resume that can be used - his is off the charts. A captain on the #7 team in the nation. Playing in the toughest conference in the country. All-American. 1st team All-SEC. Defensive player of the year in the SEC. More sacs and tackles for loss than any player in the entire nation. I mean damn... what's player got to do to get approval? Are the standards really so high that a 2 time All-American gets sh*t all over by Steelers fans. I admit to being shocked by the number of people who think the Steelers made a mistake. This is the guy Colbert and Tomlin have publicly stated they have been after for months.
    Well said, I know die hard Bulldogs fans and I live in Georgia ( surrounded by them but I don't watch college ) have been saying that he was the best player in the nation.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

For those who didn't want this pick - may I ask why? I fully understand there are no guarantees (I bet all of us watching the draft last night saw a minimum of 10 guys who won't live up to being a #1 pick) but since college ball is the only resume that can be used - his is off the charts. A captain on the #7 team in the nation. Playing in the toughest conference in the country. All-American. 1st team All-SEC. Defensive player of the year in the SEC. More sacs and tackles for loss than any player in the entire nation. I mean damn... what's player got to do to get approval? Are the standards really so high that a 2 time All-American gets sh*t all over by Steelers fans. I admit to being shocked by the number of people who think the Steelers made a mistake. This is the guy Colbert and Tomlin have publicly stated they have been after for months.
    ...be the guy they wanted. that's all some care about.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

the steelers could have drafted a sack of **** @17 and 90% of the steeler 'fans' would applaud the pick.
    if jones would have been drafted by a division rival those same fans that are licking his nuts would say he was a health risk and is gonna suck.
    the same fans that say 'let the guy take snap before judging him' are the same ones that are laughing at the picks by other teams that didnt go according to chalk, before they ever get a chance to take a snap.
    there are very few that have an independent thought. the ones that do are labeled trolls by the ones that dont.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First, let me say that JJ is a Steeler now and I'm pulling for him to be everything his supporters and the FO think he can be. That said, college numbers aren't that big a deal to me. Tebow had great college numbers. How many former Heisman winners do absolutely nothing in the NFL?

I didn't want this pick for a few reasons:
    First, we already have two #2 picks as our OLB's. I understand needing some depth perhaps, but not a #1 pick.
    Second, I really believe that this team needs the most help on the Offense. That was a mediocre unit that just lost it's #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will probably be out half the year.
    Last, I'm concerned that NFL OC's will be able to take JJ out of plays easily as he isn't particularly strong and doesn't seem to shed blockers well. My understanding is that he's great if he can get a guy in the backfield, but not particularly good when an Offense runs right at him. In a division with Trent Richardson and Ray Rice, this is troubling to me.

Again, I don't dislike JJ. I just thought the Steelers could have done something better to help the team win. They obviously care about that more than I do and are very happy with the pick so I'm sure that I'll come around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    the steelers could have drafted a sack of **** @17 and 90% of the steeler 'fans' would applaud the pick.
    if jones would have been drafted by a division rival those same fans that are licking his nuts would say he was a health risk and is gonna suck.
    the same fans that say 'let the guy take snap before judging him' are the same ones that are laughing at the picks by other teams that didnt go according to chalk, before they ever get a chance to take a snap.
    there are very few that have an independent thought. the ones that do are labeled trolls by the ones that dont.
    And the Steelers could draft the second coming of Lambert and some fans would reactively dump on the pick simply because it was made. A knee jerk criticism of everything done by the team shows as much independent thought as blind support.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    First, let me say that JJ is a Steeler now and I'm pulling for him to be everything his supporters and the FO think he can be. That said, college numbers aren't that big a deal to me. Tebow had great college numbers. How many former Heisman winners do absolutely nothing in the NFL?

First, we already have two #2 picks as our OLB's. I understand needing some depth perhaps, but not a #1 pick.
    Second, I really believe that this team needs the most help on the Offense. That was a mediocre unit that just lost it's #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will probably be out half the year.
    Last, I'm concerned that NFL OC's will be able to take JJ out of plays easily as he isn't particularly strong and doesn't seem to shed blockers well. My understanding is that he's great if he can get a guy in the backfield, but not particularly good when an Offense runs right at him. In a division with Trent Richardson and Ray Rice, this is troubling to me.

Again, I don't dislike JJ. I just thought the Steelers could have done something better to help the team win. They obviously care about that more than I do and are very happy with the pick so I'm sure that I'll come around.

you are a troll and should go root for the browns.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sorry Sugar, going to have to ask you to leave with your well thought out, articulate response....

Totally valid concerns and I understand completely the belief that offensive needs may be more important than D ones. Also concur that many players bust after successful careers (said as much in my post) but the Tebow example is a tad off - tons of football experts literally screaming his skills would not translate to the NFL (Denver lost their minds). Lots of QB's, even trophy winners, are picked to not do well in the NFL b/f they get there as they were good for their particular system. But you have to evaluate players somehow and their college play is really the only way. The Steelers took a monster 3-4 OLB to play the exact same position on this team.

As a fellow die hard fan I appreciate (not that you care) that you're reasonable and have said numerous times you're fully behind him. As I would be with any pick (heck I tried to convince folks Essex was going to be great..).

Hope we get some O tonight!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    I really liked Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and A.J. Green as prospects when they came out. Just because they were drafted by division rivals, I didn't suddenly change course and say they suck. Even crappy front offices like the Browns and Bengals make good picks sometimes.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I really liked Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and A.J. Green as prospects when they came out. Just because they were drafted by division rivals, I didn't suddenly change course and say they suck. Even crappy front offices like the Browns and Bengals make good picks sometimes.
    The Bengals have actually done pretty well for themselves lately. I'm curious to see how the Browns do under the new regime.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Bengals have actually done pretty well for themselves lately. I'm curious to see how the Browns do under the new regime.
    According to squid, I guess I'm a troll or a blind homer or something like that, but Mingo looked like more of the same for the Browns. I'm not a big fan of picks that are high on potential and low on production, and that is exactly what Mingo is.

And yeah, the Bengals absolutely have done well for themselves. They had a great draft last year and are off to a nice start this year.