Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jarvis Jones win the competition vs. Worlids for starter @ OLB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Depends on the cap hit which I think would be huge
    That may be true, but we can get Jones on a Five year very reasonable contract. We could still sign Worild and go with Worilds, Jones, and Woodley.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If Jarvis Jones is the man the Steelers thought he would be ... He should beat out Worilds. I think it would be a negative any way you look at it if Jones doesn't beat out Worilds at some point in 2013. Would Worilds be playing that good or Jones struggling? Take it from there where 2014 comes in.
    Agreed! And I believe Jarvis Jones starts from day one. Worilds will still have significant playing time. There will be a rotation between Jones, Woodley, and Worilds..and maybe even Sio Moore..
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Unless this player is unusually special, I doubt that he will start. He played a similar position to the Pittsburgh 3-4 but I'm sure there are quite a few intricacies imbedded in the LeBeau defense that he didn't need to know about in college. Worilds has talent. This guy has waited his turn and now needs to get an opportunity to play. I hope he can stay healthy. Jarvis Jones still probably needs some developing. But I am sure he will get a lot of playing time because there will be injuries.

Backup

User Info Menu

Colbert and Tomlin Seem to think that he is unusually special. His College tape says the same thing. I like Worilds but I kinda think the Addition of Jones spelled bad news for Him.. If not game 1 then by Mid Season I think Jarvis will be starting.. I live here in Ga, I have seen many of his games, the Kid is special.

On a side note I think its pretty weird how some people cant see Jones starting but Last year when Spence was ripping it up we could see him taking the job from Foot right away..

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If Foote got injured in training camp or preseason.....could Worilds or even Woodley play inside?
    i Have been hearing that they have been saying this about Jones (ILB) as a possibility. Have never seen the kid play, so I dont know about his potential there. He seems to be a great character guy though...

That would make him even that much more valuable if he could play both positions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Troy Polamalu didn't beat out his guy as a rook... they all come along at their own pace...
    Troy was drafted with two vet safeties entrenched in front of him in Alexander & Logan. He saw significant playing time as a rookie and was the full time starter year 2. Jones is coming with no full time starter in front of him. Worilds has three years experience but he is only 1 year older than Jones. Worilds is auditioning for a new team in 2013. Jones has to be a starter no later than 2014 when Worilds leaves. But if he is the man they think he is he should unseat Worilds at some point in 2013.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Troy was drafted with two vet safeties entrenched in front of him in Alexander & Logan. He saw significant playing time as a rookie and was the full time starter year 2. Jones is coming with no full time starter in front of him. Worilds has three years experience but he is only 1 year older than Jones. Worilds is auditioning for a new team in 2013. Jones has to be a starter no later than 2014 when Worilds leaves. But if he is the man they think he is he should unseat Worilds at some point in 2013.
    I also believe the Steelers are going to take a long hard look at Woodley this year as well. If the often injured and productivity lacking OLB from last year shows up he may end up being the one that gets shown the door. They've been patient up to this point, but if the young(er) guys start producing Lamarr may be the one on the outside looking in.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    What if Worilds comes in and puts up 10+ sacks? What if Jones shows Woodley (ala 2007-4 sacks) like potential as a rookie. You don't think they let Woodley and that contract walk in 2014 if he stinks it up again?

We'll need Jones, Worilds, and Woodley to all play well to make the playoffs this year.
    That is why I said it is a negative no matter what way you look at it if Jones isn't a starter at some point in 2013. Woodley is on the hot seat...But so are the people who shifted 14 mil of dead oney if he does stink it up and they want to cut him in 2014. So reading that, you would assume they expect him to return to form. If Worilds does have a 10+ sack season, the Steelers may not be in a position to retain him unless the want to franchise him in 2014. They may not want to give him a big deal with Jones sitting in the wings unless Jones stinks it up OR they feel he isn't ready to replace Worilds. No matter which way you look at it, there may be a 1st or 2nd round investment wasted. Since Jones is a year younger and a 1st rounder...You have to hope Jones is next great LB in waiting. Since he is the future, you hope he is so good he gets on the field immediately.

Since I am a Steeler fan first...Best case for the Steelers would be that Woodley returns to form, Worilds has a break out year, and Jones shows enough in his limited reps & STs to reassure the Steelers they made the right decision. Unfortunately, that would mean the investment made on Worilds may walk out the door in 2014. There is still one scenario for the Steelers long term. Worilds plays so well that they lock him up longterm before they have to franchise him in 2014. That would make his 2014 cap hit small. Woodley has a 13.5 mil cap hit in 2014 so more than likely they won't be able to franchise Worilds. Woodley & Worilds remain the starters in 2014. In 2015, a soon to be 31 year old Woodley gets traded or cut and they eat the 8.5 mil of dead money. Worilds moves to LOLB & Jones starts at ROLB. Worilds would be 27 & Jones would be 26. Besides the 8.5 mil of dead money, I would say that scenario worked out ok if you throw in a SB. Getting 8 years out of Woodley before they have to pay him 14 mil in 2015 may be the best they can hope for no matter what level he is playing at.

Legend

User Info Menu

Barring injury I just don't see Jones starting. The Steelers ask more of their OLBs than to just rush the passer. He will have to understand reads, and improve his ability to cover the pass. He has MUCH to learn. Worilds is the starter this season if he stays healthy. BUT, Jones will get PT. And I think we see alot of him is specialized packages to get him on the field.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Barring injury I just don't see Jones starting. The Steelers ask more of their OLBs than to just rush the passer. He will have to understand reads, and improve his ability to cover the pass. He has MUCH to learn. Worilds is the starter this season if he stays healthy. BUT, Jones will get PT. And I think we see alot of him is specialized packages to get him on the field.
    i also see worilds having a breakout year and making a name for his self