Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Will Jarvis Jones win the competition vs. Worlids for starter @ OLB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Or perhaps Jones can rush the passer in other ways than just a "bull rush" using speed and agility. Harrison's technique is probably a contributing reason his back problems. IMO a "speed rush" can be more disruptive than just pushing the OT in a straight line towards the QB.
    Exactly.
    Who needs to as strong as JH when you can use your renowned 4.8 sprinter speed to beat a blocker.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Exactly.
    Who needs to as strong as JH when you can use your renowned 4.8 sprinter speed to beat a blocker.
    We've gotta collapse the interior of the pocket or no one's getting an angle to the QB. I think McClendon's play is more important that our LBs for success this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whether Jarvis Jones starts for the Steelers is irrelevant; variety and depth key for Steelers' front seven

By Neal Coolong on Jul 1 2013

Using both rookie Jarvis Jones and veteran Jason Worilds seems inevitable for the Steelers' defense, and whichever one starts won't make a difference.

Len Pasquarelli recently ran with the notion of Steelers rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones getting the starting nod, mostly based on the idea of Jones being a "pure" outside linebacker, unlike Jason Worilds and LaMarr Woodley and many others - converted college defensive ends drafted much lower than the 17th overall pick.

Is this a question of his familiarity with starting a play on two feet instead of a three-point stance?

The height of the developmental ceilings for Jones and Worilds (the main competitors for the Steelers' starting right outside linebacker position) is something that can be debated, likely with Jones getting an advantage, but let's not dismiss the simple notion of using multiple players.

Just not at the same time.

If Worilds is clearly inferior to Jones athletically but holds an advantage in understanding the defense, and Jones has clear physical ability but his knowledge of the outside linebacker position comes from simpler college schemes, then why can't they be used in "situational football," as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin often says?

It's easy to paint what will likely be the most often-discussed position battle this training camp as being as simple as Worilds vs. Jones, but this seems more like "Tomlin/Dick LeBeau/Keith Butler vs. The Game of Football." Put the head coach, defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in a lab for an offseason, and see what kinds of packages they can create to put both of them on the field at the same time.

It doesn't seem to make sense that Worilds is so easily replaceable that his snap count can be dropped to Steve McLendon-in-2012 levels, while Jones simply takes over. Jones is a relentless pass rusher with underrated coverage skills. Add in the pass rush ability of McLendon (another quiet weapon for the Steelers this year), the Steelers very well could take on a look like the San Francisco 49ers -- lots of different looks with many of them out of a nickel package, counting on pressure from different combinations of 2-4 looks.

If that's the first play of the game, thus anointing Jones a "starter," then so be it. It seems more likely the Steelers will go deeper in their front seven than they have in recent years, and Jones and Worilds will certainly both be a part of that plan.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/1/4482158/steelers-depth-chart-jarvis-jones-jason-worilds-outside-linebacker[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's my thought. I HOPE Worilds lives up to expectations. I HOPE Jones is as advertised and they find a way to get him on the field. That would be "best case" scenario. That would be a win-win. I don't think Jones will have enough playing strength to beat out Worilds as a starter but I do think he will show enough to get on the field in sub packages.

Nickel
    Woodley-Hood-Keisel-Jones
    Timmons-Worilds
    Taylor-Allen-Polamalu-Clark-Gay

Dime
    Woodley-Keisel-Jones
    Timmons-Worilds
    Taylor-Allen-Polamalu-Clark-(DVD,Brown,Golden, or Hawthorne)-Gay

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Here's my thought. I HOPE Worilds lives up to expectations. I HOPE Jones is as advertised and they find a way to get him on the field. That would be "best case" scenario. That would be a win-win. I don't think Jones will have enough playing strength to beat out Worilds as a starter but I do think he will show enough to get on the field in sub packages.

Nickel
    Timmons-Worilds

Dime
    Woodley-Keisel-Jones
    Timmons-Worilds
    With the league being so pass heavy, I would like to see what Shark could do as the LB next to Timmy in the nickle and dime. Most of those plays are likely going to be passes anyway, so why not have an ILB that can cover and run with anyone?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    For a relatively short period of time, he was one of the greatest 3-4 OLBs ever.
    Just imagine if it wasn't (seemingly) legal for OTA's to get him in a headlock every time he trying to get around them on the edge.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We've gotta collapse the interior of the pocket or no one's getting an angle to the QB. I think McClendon's play is more important that our LBs for success this year.
    McClendon can be the next Haloti and he aint keeping a tackle from engaging Jones on the outside.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Nickel
    Timmons-Worilds

Dime
    Woodley-Keisel-Jones
    Timmons-Worilds
    At Keisel's age, I don't see him being used in the base 3-4 and the nickel and the dime. We'll see more of Heyward rotating in this year than in the past to keep him fresh. McLendon also has a better chance of playing in specialty defenses than Hampton did, because they are different types of NT's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    At Keisel's age, I don't see him being used in the base 3-4 and the nickel and the dime. We'll see more of Heyward rotating in this year than in the past to keep him fresh. McLendon also has a better chance of playing in specialty defenses than Hampton did, because they are different types of NT's.

Agree 100% about Keisel but it will be by series rotation not sub packages imo. Meaning, Keisel will start and be the base & rush DL in nickel & dime. When Heyward rotates into a series, he will be base & rush DL in his series. That is really the best way to get rotation work. The only way I see Keisel not being on the field in subs is if he dropped off. I didn't see it last year but this is a new season.

I agree Mclendon can play in subs. We saw him last year in subs when teams went 2 minute. He definitely gives the DL more flexibility.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Just imagine if it wasn't (seemingly) legal for OTA's to get him in a headlock every time he trying to get around them on the edge.
    For awhile he was a truly awesome force on every play. Either he was hogtied or making a play in the backfield on the QB or the ball carrier.