Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Huey Richardson 2

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones is a Steelers kind of guy

By Neal Coolong on Apr 25 2013

He isn't the typical age, he isn't in a common position for first round picks in Pittsburgh, but everything else about Jarvis Jones is Steelers all the way.

If the 2012 NFL Draft came as a shock to the Steelers, the 2013 Draft is pretty blase.

David DeCastro was expected to be drafted far earlier than he was by the Steelers. Jarvis Jones was picked to go to the Steelers nearly as soon as mock drafts took over the Internet.

It's somewhat ironic the oldest Steelers first round draft pick under Mike Tomlin was the most obvious choice. It's even more odd that the oldest first round pick is also the first outside linebacker the Steelers have taken in the first round, while being the most obvious pick.

DeCastro was the obvious pick in terms of need and talent in 2012, he just wasn't supposed to be available.

The Steelers don't draft outside linebackers that highly - and now the three likely at the top of their depth chart come Week 1 will be a first round pick and two second round picks; LaMarr Woodley and Jason Worilds.

But his production can't be beat. He works hard on and off the field and was a leader on one of the best defensive teams in the country.

So he's 24.

No one can question Jones' motor. He is relentless in pursuit and plays with a lot of heart.

Maybe the oldest guy just happens to be the most obvious Steelers player in this draft.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/25/4268122/jarvis-jones-steelers-draft-2013/in/4031321[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Based on what you saw of him on the field, what are you guys basing this on? Please explain. Otherwise man up and just come out and say that based on his work out this is why you feel this way. And then recognize how lame that is.
    I have a feeling much of it is based on two things. 40 time in shorts. And disappointment in not getting members favorite guy. It certainly can't be based on production or ability.

Rookie

User Info Menu

What's not to like, here?

Seriously...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I find it VERY encouraging to read that Jones has been working out with Ike Taylor and Tom Shaw.

A lot of people are worried he will be lazy like Woodley has been of late. You can't be lazy and work out with those two.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What's not to like, here?

Seriously...
    2011 : All-American
    1st Team ALL-SEC
    Led SEC in Tackles for loss & Sacs

2012: Team Captain
    SEC Defensive Player of the Year (AP)
    American Football Coaches Assoc 1st team All-American
    1st Team ALL-SEC
    Led Nation in 1. Sacs 2. Tackles for loss 3. Forced fumbles
    Set UGA all time record for sacs in a season with 14.5
    Finalist for Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, Butkus, Lott Awards

Like...what's not to LOVE! This guy was an animal in the toughest conference in college ball and had monster success.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Whew, some guys have Jones labeled a bust and others have him being our starting ROLB in September. There is a fella on the team named Worilds that evidently made James Harrison expendable. I doubt Jones is the starting ROLB and Worilds specialty (at this point in time) is pass rushing. Unless Worilds fails completely I don't think Jones is seeing the field much, injuries are another story.

Te'o, Minter, Brown or Jonathan Banks in round two and really throw the "you have to score 11ty billion points to win" crowd into a tizzy.

Pappy
    I'd rather score "11ty billion points to win" than be the #1 defense and miss the play offs. The latter is good for a bumper sticker and nothing else.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Huey Richardson? WTF? Come on now. I was at least expecting to hear some Kendrell Bell comparisons, maybe, but not Huey.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    **** so much for the 'brass is high on worldis' folks

what a waste of a mid 2nd round pick when we were a championship caliber team
    Way to override your draft board Tomlin. We could have Timmons and Sean Lee in the middle. Instead we now have to use an early pick on an ILB.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Way to override your draft board Tomlin. We could have Timmons and Sean Lee in the middle. Instead we now have to use an early pick on an ILB.
    I think Colbert is doing this not Tomlin.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking back, I think the choice on Jones was basically sealed the moment the Steelers cut James Harrison.
    They know they must have production at OLB. Obviously, they're also convinced that neither Worilds or Woodley can bring what James brought from his side of the field.