Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: that sure sucked

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    NJSteeler asked...are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

REasons it is good to have 3 pass rushing OLBs

1. Woodley is always hurt and Worilds gets dinged up as well.
    2. A rotation will keep all of them fresh. Woodley especially seems to do well in a rotation. A rotation also is frustrating for OTs who have to continue to adjust to who is in front of them.
    3. Jones does not have to start, but can still contribute early in the season. Jones sometimes struggles against the run, and he is not as strong as he needs to be. Give him a year to build more muscle and let him get after the QB in passing situations. In other words, we don't have to depend on the rookie when the situation does not fit his strengths.
    use him like Bell this first year... one job and one job only... kill the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    NJSteeler asked...are worldis, woodley and jones going to all be on the field at once?

REasons it is good to have 3 pass rushing OLBs

1. Woodley is always hurt and Worilds gets dinged up as well.
    2. A rotation will keep all of them fresh. Woodley especially seems to do well in a rotation. A rotation also is frustrating for OTs who have to continue to adjust to who is in front of them.
    3. Jones does not have to start, but can still contribute early in the season. Jones sometimes struggles against the run, and he is not as strong as he needs to be. Give him a year to build more muscle and let him get after the QB in passing situations. In other words, we don't have to depend on the rookie when the situation does not fit his strengths.
    Good post. I would add to that, I think they can deploy a passing D with Woodley, Worilds, Jones and Timmons on the field at the same time, with 2 down lineman. That gives the Steelers a lot of options.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This was a great pick. Not only fills a need, but he was just about the BPA at the time. He's gonna be a great Steeler for years to come (hope I don't jinx him) and he'll start/ play a lot before the half way mark. imo. He's that good. Move over Worilds.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Because the best defensive player ( a top 5 talent), dropped to them. You run to the podium when that happens. Entertaining is for the unsure. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    couldn't have said it better, myself!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    DL's most effective pass rush often relies on lining up Timmy or Troy outside of Harrison or Woodley.

DL often allows Troy, Timmy, and Keisel the freedom to roam in the defense. What would it hurt to maybe use Jarvis in the same fashion and put him on the field and give him the choice to overload the right or left.
    Exactly. I could see Timmons, Worilds, Woodley and Jones on the field is pass rushing situations. I think lining up Jones alongside of Woodley would present fits for an offense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We drafted the best player available. If Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel dropped into our laps instead of Jones, would you have not drafted one of those guys because then you'd be saying that we wasted a 2nd round pick used on Gilbert and Adams?
    I would be saying that but for a different reason. How many of hose lineman will see a 2nd contract with us if they pan out. How much of the salary cap do you want to devote to the OL?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    With a healthy offensive line, ben will get the time to show what an elite qb like he can do. As good as he is imagine that he doesn't have to run for his life. He'll make our mediocre receivers look like superstars. We didn't need Eifert. We weren't going to reach for him. Would be a good pick for Cincy if Dalton isn't going to die next season.
    Hopefully the line stays healthy and keeps Ben upright long enough for Ben to do what he does. It's funny that you say Ben will make our mediocre wide receivers look like superstars. I think the exact opposite happened in Baltimore where the receivers made a mediocre QB look like a superstar.

I don't watch enough college football to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I hope we can find someone to compliment Ben.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    He had plenty of chance.
    When JH was hurt, Chris stinkin Carter, won the starting job over Worilds. Pathetic really.

Worild is the opposite of Jones.
    Last year in college had 4.5 sacks? Really?
    But he is a combine beast.

Jones does IN ONE SEASON, what Worilds did in his College CAREER
    I'm not upset about he jones selection

But I'm farking pissed off on using a 2nd round pick on a back up when we were in the middle of contending for a few years.

Mid 2nd Rounders should be starters. Don't you agree?

and don't tell me hindsight is 20/20 cause I brought that up at the time we drafted him (along with spending 1's on DEs)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    I'm not upset about he jones selection

But I'm farking pissed off on using a 2nd round pick on a back up when we were in the middle of contending for a few years.

Mid 2nd Rounders should be starters. Don't you agree?

and don't tell me hindsight is 20/20 cause I brought that up at the time we drafted him (along with spending 1's on DEs)
    On Defense? LOL... !st rounders aren't starters on D.

This may be true for other teams but not for ours.

Legend

User Info Menu

dp
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 04-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.