Thread: Ruthless Last Minute Final Mock; 8 Steeler Picks/All-NFL No-QB No-RB Full First Round

Legend

User Info Menu

Ruthless Last Minute Final Mock; 8 Steeler Picks/All-NFL No-QB No-RB Full First Round

What happens if the Steelers are up at #17 and Jarvis Jones is off the board, Kenny Vacarro is off the board, Tyler Eifert is off the board, Jonathan Cooper is off the board, Chance Warmack is off the board, Tavon Austin is off the board, and Barkevious Mingo is off the board. Holy crap! Do we panic? No! That just means someone unexpected falls into our laps and we take full advantage (like last year with DeCastro).

And how the heck am I projecting a legit first round with no quarterbacks or running backs in it? Well, the teams that need QB's are picking in the top 10, and I don't see an top 10 level talents at QB this year. I think there are several late-first, early-second type QB's so some teams picking early in the second might be willing to trade into the late first to get they guy they want (Jags for Geno Smith? Eagles for E.J. Manuel? Jets for Matt Barkley? Bills for Ryan Nassib? Cards for Mike Glennon? Who knows...). But since I'm not projecting trades with this draft, there are no QB's in my first round. And even though there has been a RB taken in the first round in the last 50 drafts, I think Eddie Lacy has some injury question marks, plus he got fatigued quickly in his personal workout so teams may question his overall conditioning, and there is always the question of whether he is just a product of running behind a great OL (like Mark Ingram) or if he is truly a special back in his own right (like Trent Richardson).

1. KC Eric Fisher OT
    2. JAX Luke Joeckel OT
    3. OAK Sharrif Floyd DT
    4. PHI Star Lotulelei DT
    5. DET Lane Johnson OT
    6. CLE Dion Jordan DE
    7. ARZ Ziggy Ansah DE
    8. BUF Tavon Austin WR
    9. NYJ Barkevious Mingo LB
    10. TEN Chance Warmack OG
    11. SD Jonathan Cooper OG
    12. MIA D.J. Fluker OT
    13. NYJ Tyler Eifert TE
    14. CAR Sheldon Richardson DT
    15. NO Jarvis Jones LB
    16. STL Kenny Vacarro S
    17. PIT Dee Milliner CB
    18. DAL Sylvester Williams DT
    19. NYG Bjoern Werner DE
    20. CHI Alec Ogletree LB
    21. CIN Eric Reid S
    22. STL Cordarelle Patterson WR
    23. MIN Manti Te'o LB
    24. IND D.J. Hayden CB
    25. MIN DeAndre Hopkins WR
    26. GB Xavier Rhodes CB
    27. HOU Justin Hunter WR
    28. DEN Datone Jones DE
    29. NE Desmond Trufant CB
    30. ATL Tank Carradine DE
    31. SF Jonathan Cyprien S
    32. BAL Matt Elam S
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Final Ruthless Steeler Mock:

1.17 Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama 6-0 201
    2.48 Keenan Allen, WR, California 6-2 206
    3.79 Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut 6-1 245
    4.115 Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina 5-11 221
    5.150 Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma 5-11 213
    6.186 Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State 5-11 209
    6.206(c) J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell 6-4 307
    7.223 Sean Renfree, QB, Duke 6-3 219
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

How in the world could Dee Milliner fall to us, you ask? Well, I could have asked the same question last year about David DeCastro (and I did, several times). Well, there are questions about how much his labrum has healed at this point and whether or not he'll be reading for minicamps/OTA's/start of training camp, etc. following his recent surgery (plus the other 4 surgeries he had in college will be on the minds of GM's tonight).

The Browns have been linked to him forever to play opposite Haden, but with all of these injury concerns fresh in their minds and the fact that Dion Jordan unexpectedly fell into their laps, they'll opt for the pass rusher.

With the Jets now owning picks 9 & 13, and Revis now in Tampa, everyone assumes that they'll use one of those premium picks for a replacement at CB. Well, the Jets played pretty much all of last season without Revis (he was injured in game 2), so they can go into this season with Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson as starters and Isaiah Trufant as their slot corner, plus they can add another solid CB prospect on day two tomorrow. They may be wary of taking a corner with one of these first round picks, because they know that brutal Jets fans will always compare that guy to Revis, and it will be near impossible for that guy to live up to what Revis was, so they could be setting a 1st round CB pick up for failure, because he might lose confidence in himself if Jets fans hate him because he isn't Revis. They may be better off using those two picks to get a pass rusher and an offensive weapon (who won't necessarily get direct comparisons to Revis all the time because they play different positions). The Jets love Mingo, and Eifert is a safe, solid weapon that I'm sure the fans can get behind.

Miami could also use a corner, after losing Sean Smith and replacing him with Brent Grimes (who is coming off an injury), but they have two 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks and there will be plenty of solid corners available on day two to be had, and they will have 4 chances tomorrow to be able to take one. I gave Miami Fluker under the assumption that they are unable to complete a trade with K.C., giving up one of their second round picks for Brandon Albert.

So, as you can see, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Dee Milliner could fall right into our laps (like DeCastro did last year), even if no QB's or RB's come off the board in the first round. I think Milliner is one of those 6-8 guys who Colbert mentioned as elite prospects in his pre-draft press conference...he'll be Ike Taylor's replacement opposite Cortez Allen when Ike is cut in a cap-cutting move next year.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 04-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.