Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Have No Needs

Legend

User Info Menu

We Have No Needs

We can make do with the roster we have. Give us some health and we're back to being a SuperBowl contender with the guys we have.

And what if guys like Woodley and Dwyer come into camp in shape this year? All of our problems could be fixed.

So it seems as fans we're fixated on guys that can come in and contribute right away. I'm hoping the Steelers get some guys that have long term potential and can develop into super stars of tomorrow.

Very few rookies have monster break out seasons their first year. They just take time to develop. And sometimes the guy that looks most ready to contribute today has the least upside because he's already peaked.

So would you prefer the Steelers play it safe or take some big time chances on guys that could be boom or bust?

Maybe that's the one thing we should change this year...go for broke.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Had Ben not been injured and our oline not ravaged by injury last year, we would have been a contender. I think we need to try to get some instant impact this year though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert has the right point of view in my mind. Unlike many fans, he doesn't draft with the idea that a rookie needs to come in and contribute immediately. He looks for the guys who should have the biggest impact long-term. The guys that we draft over the next 3 days I expect to have an impact in 2014 and beyond...like Colbert said in his press conference, any impact they might make this season is a bonus.

I'm looking for last year's draft to have an impact this season. We are counting on DeCastro and Adams to be solid starters, opening holes for our RB's and keeping Ben upright. With Casey no longer on the roster, we'll need Ta'Amu to be able to rotate in with McLendon this year to keep everyone fresh. With Heath possibly on the shelf at the beginning of the season, we'll need Paulson to step up and contribute as both a blocker as well as a receiver. With all of the injuries occurring on our OL of late, we need versatile gameday backups we can count on, so we'll need Beachum to step up in the old Trai Essex role of being able to plug in at a variety of different positions along the OL at a moment's notice. The only one that I'm not counting on is Sean Spence, because of that gruesome knee injury. I consider 2013 to be his do-over rookie campaign, so I won't start expecting anything from him until 2014...if he heals up faster than expected and is able to contribute this year, then that will be a bonus, just like our 2013 draft class.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

An 8-8 record = NEEDS

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The only one that I'm not counting on is Sean Spence, because of that gruesome knee injury. I consider 2013 to be his do-over rookie campaign, so I won't start expecting anything from him until 2014...if he heals up faster than expected and is able to contribute this year, then that will be a bonus, just like our 2013 draft class.
    Wouldn't it be something if Spence made it back and could play this year at a high level? There was talk by Butler that Spence looked like he was a guy that could play in year 1 and he knew the defense almost immediately. What if by some miracle, he was back and in the starting lineup by mid season.

I don't see it happening. But I do agree on 2012 picks and think last year might have been Colbert/Tomlin's first great draft from top to bottom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We can make do with the roster we have. Give us some health and we're back to being a SuperBowl contender with the guys we have.

And what if guys like Woodley and Dwyer come into camp in shape this year? All of our problems could be fixed.

So it seems as fans we're fixated on guys that can come in and contribute right away. I'm hoping the Steelers get some guys that have long term potential and can develop into super stars of tomorrow.

Very few rookies have monster break out seasons their first year. They just take time to develop. And sometimes the guy that looks most ready to contribute today has the least upside because he's already peaked.

So would you prefer the Steelers play it safe or take some big time chances on guys that could be boom or bust?

Maybe that's the one thing we should change this year...go for broke.
    I agree with the Colbert phylosophy not to "reach" to fill a specific immediate hole, rather go best available within a range of several positions that have immediate or near future needs.

Thus he avoids well stocked positions, while having 4 or 5 positions to choose from, with the goal of getting great value.

That hybrid method (neither narrow immediate need nor pure best available athlete, regardless of need) works best.

I do not like "boom or bust" picks in the first, especially if we are not drafting late. No need to do that in the middle of the first.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    An 8-8 record = NEEDS
    Need Ben to stay healthy
    Need Troy to stay healthy
    Need Ike Taylor to be healthy
    Need the offensive line to stay healthy
    Need the OLBs to stay healthy
    Need the draft to get here already
    Need the season to start already

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Had Ben not been injured and our oline not ravaged by injury last year, we would have been a contender. I think we need to try to get some instant impact this year though.
    Our OL is ravaged by injuroies every year yet no one wants to spent "any more" quality picks on OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wouldn't it be something if Spence made it back and could play this year at a high level? There was talk by Butler that Spence looked like he was a guy that could play in year 1 and he knew the defense almost immediately. What if by some miracle, he was back and in the starting lineup by mid season.

I don't see it happening. But I do agree on 2012 picks and think last year might have been Colbert/Tomlin's first great draft from top to bottom.
    Spence would be nice but I fear he will never come back to the level he was at. Just too much damage for a guy who was more about speed and explosion than power and strength.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

O, you mean we might have a chance this year?
    According to some on this board we are the second coming of the Cleveland Browns...
    Glad I didn't cancel my DirectTV subscription