Thread: Wildcard

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wildcard

Is DT the wildcard position in this draft for the Steelers?
    3 OTs
    2 OGs
    Ansah
    Austin
    Vacarro
    1-2 QBs
    Milliner
    Mingo
    Fluker
    J Jones

Thats 12-13 players who could go in the top 16. That would leave Floyd, Richardson, and Star left. Could one of them be available at 17? And do you think TS would pass one of these up?

I don't see Floyd as NT, you'd be wasting his agility. So that might prompt a move to DE and we're fairly loaded there. Star could play Nose and some have him available. Richardson is very agile as well and prob. best suited at DE.

If strangely, Star is the only one off the board (the true NT imo) would they pull the trigger on Floyd or Richardson at a fairly loaded position and two recent #1s?
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Is DT the wildcard position in this draft for the Steelers?
    3 OTs
    2 OGs
    Ansah
    Austin
    Vacarro
    1-2 QBs
    Milliner
    Mingo
    Fluker
    J Jones

Thats 12-13 players who could go in the top 16. That would leave Floyd, Richardson, and Star left. Could one of them be available at 17? And do you think TS would pass one of these up?

I don't see Floyd as NT, you'd be wasting his agility. So that might prompt a move to DE and we're fairly loaded there. Star could play Nose and some have him available. Richardson is very agile as well and prob. best suited at DE.

If strangely, Star is the only one off the board (the true NT imo) would they pull the trigger on Floyd or Richardson at a fairly loaded position and two recent #1s?
    Star's a no brainer.

I'd also consider Floyd or Richardson even though we've invested heavily in 1st round DEs because with the modern NFL passing game, we're probably gonna use a 4 more front more often than our base defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Star could play on the nose or as a 5-technique (much like Ngata, who he is often compared to), so I would be happy with that pick. However, I think Floyd and Richardson are more 3-technique penetrators, whose talents would be wasted in an odd-man front. I did say the same thing about Ziggy Hood once upon a time, though, so you never know.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.