Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the 17th Overall Pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the 17th Overall Pick

Report: Pittsburgh Steelers Have Zeroed in on Two Prospects for the Seventeenth Overall Pick

There has been a lot of speculation surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers first selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, but even so there is still not much consensus about who the Steelers will target with that first pick. Draft experts have been targeting Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones for a long time and he does make sense for the Steelers, but will he be their top player on the board at seventeen?

Well, according to Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com the Steelers have zeroed in on Jones.

If true that means the Steelers are set on Jones at seventeen and if gone they will look at Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. It will be interesting to see where they go if both players are gone when they select at seventeen, but at this point most believe that both will be on the board when the Steelers make their first selection tomorrow night.

The Steelers are in need of depth at outside linebacker after the release of James Harrison, but it may not be enough of a pressing need to address in the first round. However, with the top safety and offensive lineman expected to be off the board when the Steelers are put on the clock later this month Jones may be the Steelers best option in the first round. The team will also be looking at running backs in this draft and will need to find depth at safety, inside linebacker, wide receiver and on the offensive line. Luckily for them this draft is very deep at safety, inside linebacker and wide receiver.

The depth at those other positions would allow the Steelers to draft a top-flight outside linebacker like Jones in the first round of the draft and wait until the middle rounds to draft for those other positions. There are worries about Jones’ workouts and medical history. However, Jones plays much faster on tape than his 4.9 forty times that he put up at Georgia’s pro day. In fact, Jones was one of the most dominant defensive players in the SEC which is commonly considered the most competitive and best conference in college football.

Looking at Jones stats is one of the most intriguing things about him as a prospect. He has the disruptive nature that made James Harrison as force when he first became a starter in the NFL. Over the past two years for Georgia Jones accumulated 28 sacks and 44 tackles for loss. He also had 96 tackles, seven forced fumbles and six pass deflections making him a two-time first team All-American and the 2012 SEC defensive player of the year.

As for Patterson he provides a very dynamic offensive weapon that is sure to make Todd Haley giddy. Patterson can line up at running back or any wide receiver position. Patterson has 4.4 speed even though he stands at 6’2″ and 220 pounds. Another benefit of Patterson is his ability to return punts and kicks. The Steelers are in need of a kick returner after cutting Chris Rainey for off-field issues.

Patterson only played one season of Division I football at Tennessee after transferring from a Junior College, but he was one of the top play-makers in the SEC in 2012. After only one season in the SEC Patterson holds the record for scoring a touchdown in four different ways in the same season. He scored on a catch, run, kick return and punt return. Patterson also connected on one pass on a receiver reverse and was about five more yards away from adding a passing touchdown to that list.

Todd Haley utilized Dexter McCluster with the Kansas City Chiefs at multiple different positions. McCluster is used as a running back, receiver and kick returner for the Chiefs and ran 4.42 during pre-draft workouts. Basically the Steelers are looking at Patterson as a taller (6’2″ vs 5’11″) and stronger (220 pounds vs 175 pounds) McCluster who has the speed and vision to make plays in the open field whether in the run game, passing game, or as a kick/punt returner.

One of the biggest issues scouts have with Patterson is drops. However, if you watch a lot of his game tape at Tennessee you will see passes thrown over his head, behind him, and into the dirt making me wonder more so why the Steelers are so high on Tyler Bray than anything against Patterson. In 2012 Patterson caught 95.8% of catch-able balls for a 4.2% drop rate which would have been better than Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders or Mike Wallace last season. Catch-able balls include balls that hit the receiver in the hands and if you watch his tape you will see him attempt multiple circus catches some of which he makes and some he doesn’t. With a more accurate and better quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger he should be even better and that drop rate should go down.

Other Experts opinions on the Steelers first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft:

Mel Kiper ESPN – Tyler Eifert
    Todd McShay ESPN – Jarvis Jones
    Gil Brandt NFL.com – Jarvis Jones
    Pete Prisco CBS Sports – Tyler Eifert
    Rob Rang CBS Sports – Tyler Eifert
    Pat Kirwan CBS Sports – Kenny Vaccaro
    Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post- Gazette (via CBS Sports Mock) – Jarvis Jones

[URL]http://steelblitz.com/report-pittsburgh-steelers-have-zeroed-in-on-two-prospects-for-the-seventeenth-overall-pick/3080/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think they have narrowed it down to just two. Like KC said, 6-8 special players. I can tell you I went through many scenarios and came up with 4 names that one always seems to make it to #17.

Jones
    Eifert
    Patterson
    Vacarro

I think we will have some happy board members. One may be there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we take Patterson I don't think I'd be real happy. Kids built like a stick figure.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers really have 2 targets, I would bet that they are Jones and Vaccaro. I don't see Patterson fitting their mold - only one year of production, and lots of questions about his football IQ.

Legend

User Info Menu

Color me unimpressed. This team has a lot of holes and depth issues, so I'd trade down, acquire picks and get the heck out of the first round.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It appears the experts have us taking Jones and he probably will be there. The Saints and Jets are also looking at OLB but at least one of them might take Mingo with the other picking either a different position or different OLB because of the medical concern. Also the Jets with two picks in round one probably take Eifert the one I would like to have, so that leaves Varcarro and Jones most likely.
    I wouldn't take Patterson or any receiver in round one but if I had to I would pick Hopkins over Patterson thinking he is a more polished receiver who experts compare to Reggie Wayne.

I think most Steelers fans from what I read are split on Jones, some like him while others see him as a potencial bust or worried about the medical concerns. If we do select him I hope it works out and he delivers like he did at Georgia. We are thin at OLB after Woodley and Worlids so I can understand the pick, I just want it to work out no matter who we select.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think they have narrowed it down to just two. Like KC said, 6-8 special players. I can tell you I went through many scenarios and came up with 4 names that one always seems to make it to #17.

Jones
    Eifert
    Patterson
    Vacarro

I think we will have some happy board members. One may be there.
    Not only that, every new mock I see lately, has another big star dropping. Mayocks latest mock had us taking Jones and Lotulelei going at 18. If Star Lotulelei is there at 18, the Steelers would have a hard time passing on him. He could play anywhere on the line and push the pocket from the middle, freeing up linebackers.

It is going to be a fun night (I hope)
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone know anything about Bjoern Werner - DE/OLB from FSU? 6'3"/260 - 265. I've seen him pop up in a couple of mock drafts out there. Maybe someone they consider if Jones is off the board? I read he was considered a top 20 pick but don't know anything else.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I will be happy with either Jones or Patterson....make it happen Steelers....
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Anyone know anything about Bjoern Werner - DE/OLB from FSU? 6'3"/260 - 265. I've seen him pop up in a couple of mock drafts out there. Maybe someone they consider if Jones is off the board? I read he was considered a top 20 pick but don't know anything else.
    I think he's more 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB. Seems more like the kind of guy the Giants would draft than the Steelers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.