Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Please explain why we need another...

  1. #1

    Please explain why we need another...

    OLB...I have to admit, my board for who I want in the first round is Jarvis Jones and B Mingo along with X Rhodes CB. We have Woodley and Worilds. I understand Harrison is gone but Worilds filled in admirably last year and seems like he can fit the role. We spent a 2nd round pick on Worilds, its time to give him that chance. It seems we need that ILB presence to take Farriors old self out of the picuture.

    The guy that fits everything we need is A Ogletree ILB/OLB. This guy is a banger, plays ILB and a very cerebral LB. However his off season mess will probably be why we don't draft him. Could we actually be looking at Teo? OLB is not a huge need right now so why is everyone, including myself have us taking an OLB? Is it just because of the potential of J JONES? Help me out here!

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    Probably Arthur Brown over Teo for ILB. J Jones just seems like a specialist to me. A very good one yes, but is he effective against the run and can he set the edge? I'm not sold on it. His work ethic in the weight room is a concern. People are all over Woodley for not being in condition, so for a player who has an aversion to the weight room being a fan favorite seems off. Maybe he works on conditioning only, I don't know. Polamalu doesn't like weights either so who am I to judge. His best asset - rushing the passer - can also be offset by OCs running three step drops or using an additional blocker to chip him. I would like to see what we have in Woirlds too. I think we can get an OLB to develop in the 3rd or 4th. my 2 cents
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    I think Ogletree next to Timmons would be about perfect, but don't see the Steelers doing it. We don't need anything. Just a difference maker. Let's get the best one at any position except QB.

    Here's to hoping Star drops to 17. That would be a difference maker in the Ben, Troy mold. And difference makers help us win championships.

    Watch the Steelers do something crazy like drafting Hankins at 17.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    Draft rumors according to Walter.football

    • WalterFootball.com was the first site to report on Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones not being a good workout guy who had the potential to fall to the middle of the first round. WalterFootball.com also was the first to project him to the Pittsburgh Steelers. That has become a consensus projection across the web since then. League contacts agree that the Steelers will take Jones if he falls to their pick. However they say he may not get there. The Jets supposedly love Jones. He also could land in New Orleans. Sources say don't be surprised if a team that loves Jones trades in front Pittsburgh to get him.


    • If Jones is off the board along with other edge rushers like LSU's Barkevious Mingo, the Steelers' Plan B is Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. They think highly of Patterson and would love to add his big-play threat to replace what they lost in Mike Wallace. Pittsburgh had its entire contingent at the Tennessee Pro Day, and the Steelers came away impressed with both Patterson and Volunteer quarterback Tyler Bray.


    • If the Steelers miss out on Jones and take Patterson, they will definitely target a pass-rusher on the second day. Sources told WalterFootball.com that the Steelers have soured on Jason Worilds. The pass-rushers that Pittsburgh would target on Day 2 include Southern Miss linebacker Jamie Collins, Clemson defensive end Malliciah Goodman and Connecticut linebacker Sio Moore. They also like Ohio State's John Simon as a mid-to-late-rounder.

    • North Carolina State safety Earl Wolff has graded out as a third-round pick according to sources. They like his skill set with some size, speed and production at the college level. However, a number of teams that could target a safety on the second day are going to pass on Wolff because he did poorly in the team interviews. He wasn't a bad-character player, but he struggled schematically on the board. Teams that play complex coverage schemes won't draft a player like that.
    Last edited by thor75; 04-25-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Draft rumors according to Walter.football

    WalterFootball.com was the first site to report on Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones not being a good workout guy who had the potential to fall to the middle of the first round. WalterFootball.com also was the first to project him to the Pittsburgh Steelers. That has become a consensus projection across the web since then. League contacts agree that the Steelers will take Jones if he falls to their pick. However they say he may not get there. The Jets supposedly love Jones. He also could land in New Orleans. Sources say don't be surprised if a team that loves Jones trades in front Pittsburgh to get him.


    If Jones is off the board along with other edge rushers like LSU's Barkevious Mingo, the Steelers' Plan B is Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. They think highly of Patterson and would love to add his big-play threat to replace what they lost in Mike Wallace. Pittsburgh had its entire contingent at the Tennessee Pro Day, and the Steelers came away impressed with both Patterson and Volunteer quarterback Tyler Bray.


    If the Steelers miss out on Jones and take Patterson, they will definitely target a pass-rusher on the second day. Sources told WalterFootball.com that the Steelers have soured on Jason Worilds. The pass-rushers that Pittsburgh would target on Day 2 include Southern Miss linebacker Jamie Collins, Clemson defensive end Malliciah Goodman and Connecticut linebacker Sio Moore. They also like Ohio State's John Simon as a mid-to-late-rounder.

    North Carolina State safety Earl Wolff has graded out as a third-round pick according to sources. They like his skill set with some size, speed and production at the college level. However, a number of teams that could target a safety on the second day are going to pass on Wolff because he did poorly in the team interviews. He wasn't a bad-character player, but he struggled schematically on the board. Teams that play complex coverage schemes won't draft a player like that.
    Translation:

    1. Not interested in Jones, come take him in front of us so our guy falls to us.

    2. Patterson and Bray are a cover up to say they were interested in Hunter. And maybe they are interested in Eifert and don't want anyone to know. St Louis drafts directly in front of the Steelers and they have similar offensive needs. This may just be a ploy to get St Louis to take Patterson. They are more desperate for offensive weapons for Bradford.

    3. We're not looking for an OLB in the draft. Why would coaches be souring on Worilds? Makes no sense. Unless he's hurt again. Plus I want a later round pass rusher if we take one cause I want to see what Robinson can do. As a pure pass rusher, I think Robinson might be better than anyone we could draft.

    4. Wolff is the cover for their interest in Amerson.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,546
    If the team has in fact soured on Worilds (I can certainly see it; I mean, if you see a kid every day for three years, I think you get a strong sense of who/what he is)... but anyway, if they have soured, its an indictment of poor decision-making, for taking this kid that highly. (I fear the same will be said of 2012 #2 Mike Adams.)

    If Jones/Patterson are the two options, I take Jones for sure. As for Ogletree, I'd like him. But its not going to happen, what with the Ta'amu stuff (DUI) and Ogletree's one. Ogletree is a Lawrence Timmons clone, if you look at his numbers. Both are/were fast guys.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,956
    Frankly, a rotation of three effective OLBs is best. It keeps them fresh and drives OTs crazy when they have to adjust between different styles. Also, Woodley and, to a lesser degree, Worilds are injury prone. We need backups.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,360
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Ogletree next to Timmons would be about perfect, but don't see the Steelers doing it. We don't need anything. Just a difference maker. Let's get the best one at any position except QB.

    Here's to hoping Star drops to 17. That would be a difference maker in the Ben, Troy mold. And difference makers help us win championships.

    Watch the Steelers do something crazy like drafting Hankins at 17.
    Ogletree was my very first choice for our #17 until he got all stupid with the DUI. After T-mu last season the Steelers won't go there again.

    Ogletree would be perfect next to Timmons.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    It is not a question of needing another OLB as it is an upgrade. Think about these factors:

    - After Worilds and Woodley we are thin at OLB
    - Reports that the Steelers are not high on Worilds, evidenced by the fact that they brought in or were linked to every outside rusher who hit the FA market. Smokescreen maybe, but there was an awful lot of smoke for it to be only a ruse.
    - Worilds has always looked best when filling in on the left side, which gives you two LOLBs and no real confident starter on the right side.
    - BPA is BPA, if the Steelers love Jones (or Ansah, or Mingo or whoever might be there) then you take the guy you love. The Steelers sign players like Will Gay and Larry Foote so that they won't be forced to go by position.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If the team has in fact soured on Worilds (I can certainly see it; I mean, if you see a kid every day for three years, I think you get a strong sense of who/what he is)... but anyway, if they have soured, its an indictment of poor decision-making, for taking this kid that highly. (I fear the same will be said of 2012 #2 Mike Adams.)
    I must be the only person on this board who thought Adams adjusted and played well late last season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •