Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flippy Mock - Final Edition - The Road to 7

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy Mock - Final Edition - The Road to 7

1. Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee - 6'4" - 195lbs - It's time we go get Ben his big weapon at WR. Hunter was well liked by coaches and teammates so he'll bring chemistry to the locker room. Plus he came back fast from an ACL tear because of his work ethic. Coming off an ACL tear makes his junior numbers all the more impressive. We didn't get to see his best yet coming off injury and his ceiling is high. Look at it this way, would you take AJ Green or Julio Jones with the 17th pick?

2. David Amerson - CB/FS - NC State - 6'1 - 205lbs - Big physical corner that can play the ball like a WR. We've been sorely lacking getting turnovers and this is a kid that will go get the ball for you. I think he's got the skill set to be one of the best FS in the game. Or he can just take over for Ike. Fits the mold of a Steeler DB with his size, athleticism, and ability to tackle. Lake would turn this kid into an All Pro.

3. Gio Bernard - RB - UNC - 5'8" - 205lbs - Haley's offense needs a versatile back that can run and make plays in the passing game. Gio is quick and a powerful runner. This kid is a super athlete that brings everything we're lacking at the RB position.

4. Shmarko Thomas - SS - Syracuse - 5'9 - 215lbs - Super athlete that's likely rated one of the best safeties if he was taller. He's lightning fast and can make plays in the box and will bring the big hits. Not sure if you guys knew this, but he lost both his parents in 2010 and is the oldest of 6 brothers and sisters. So he's got responsibility. He's got the extra motivation to make it. Plus he's gonna be playing with a chip on his shoulder being overlooked because of his height.

5. DeVonte Holloman - ILB - South Carolina - 6'1" - 245lbs - The new hybrid middle LB that comes from a background of playing safety. Gives us the versatility in the new NFL to cover TEs, RBs, and knock slot WRs off their routes. But also has the build to stop the run.

6. Nick Kasa - TE - Colorado - 6'6" - 270lbs - Kasa could be one of the best TE prospects in the draft, but he's only got a year's worth of experience having converted from DE. He might be one of the few complete TEs in the draft because he can block and he's got some speed and is developing as a pass catcher. This kid is a monster. Looks almost like an extra tackle. I could see him helping create some huge holes in our running game next to Adams and Decastro.

6. Brad Sorensen - QB - Southern Utah - 6'5" - 230lbs - Big kid with a big arm that could be a nice developmental project. He's a mormon and we seem to get high quality characters in the locker room when we draft these guys. He's a little older at 23 because he's gone on his Mormon mission work. The Steelers could use a little more character on the team. And who knows where this kid could go in time. He definitely needs time to develop but has one of the stronger arms of these QBs.

7. Brandon Kaufmann - WR - Eastern Washington - 6'5" - 216 - This kid is a baller who will upgrade our RZ Offense. He can go up and get any and everything. He's a TD machine that will help Haley create some matchup problems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wouldn't complain about picks, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6a.

Would prefer other at the positions you pick for the remaining picks.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    1. Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee - 6'4" - 195lbs - It's time we go get Ben his big weapon at WR. Hunter was well liked by coaches and teammates so he'll bring chemistry to the locker room. Plus he came back fast from an ACL tear because of his work ethic. Coming off an ACL tear makes his junior numbers all the more impressive. We didn't get to see his best yet coming off injury and his ceiling is high. Look at it this way, would you take AJ Green or Julio Jones with the 17th pick?
    He could be a Julio Jones, A.J. Green, or a Limas Sweed. Wide Receivers have such huge bust potential.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He could be a Julio Jones, A.J. Green, or a Limas Sweed. Wide Receivers have such huge bust potential.
    Agreed. But Limas was a headcase. And Hunter has shown dedication in rehabbing his ACL and I think he's got his head on straight. I've thought a lot about this #17 pick and there really aren't any safe/great players that are likely gonna be available.

Heck, he could be another Plaxico who was another top 10 pick.

This combo of size, speed, athleticism, and production that Hunter has isn't by any means common. If he didn't have the ACL tear 2 years ago, his number would have been even better and he'd be talked about as a top 10 pick.

The only negative I see is he's a little skinny.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hunter will never be either of those players, IMO (AJ or Julio). Just not physical enough, though he has nice upside.

of the three TN receivers, I would most prefer Darick Rogers if he was there in the 3rd. He is actually a very bright kid who was, and may still be, very immature. He will be able to pick up an NFL playbook quickly, unlike patterson and is very physical getting after the football, unlike hunter.

has all the tools of a true #1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    hunter will never be either of those players, IMO (AJ or Julio). Just not physical enough, though he has nice upside.

of the three TN receivers, I would most prefer Darick Rogers if he was there in the 3rd. He is actually a very bright kid who was, and may still be, very immature. He will be able to pick up an NFL playbook quickly, unlike patterson and is very physical getting after the football, unlike hunter.

I had Rodgers in my first draft. But then I convinced myself, there's no way the Steelers will touch him. I agree he's the best of the 3.

But Hunter's got unique size/speed that you can teach. So for me it would come down to the interview. Is he willing to put in the work. If he convinces someone yes, he could go even higher than 17.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

Da'Ricks got loads of talent. He is just very easily influenced by the wrong crowd. I could, however, see him going in the 3rd or 4th rd and being another Brandon Marshall.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Da'Ricks got loads of talent. He is just very easily influenced by the wrong crowd. I could, however, see him going in the 3rd or 4th rd and being another Brandon Marshall.
    the talent is there.

he and bray were poison together as both were big time knuckleheads, but I want to give DaRick a pass just because dooley was such an imbecile. I honestly believe the move to TN Tech humbled him. He represents great value in the 3rd round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reminds me more of Michael Irvin. On and off the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is a remarkably cogent and comprehensive mock draft whose foundational premises address the Steelers multitudinous deficiencies while providing substantive depth at several essential positions.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.