Thread: Since no one has suggested trading UP in the 1st, I might as well do it on draft eve

Legend

User Info Menu

Since no one has suggested trading UP in the 1st, I might as well do it on draft eve

Everyone and his mother has projected Dee Milliner to the Browns for pretty much this entire draft season. But what if this labrum issue scares off the new Cleveland brass, and they opt for a pass rusher like Ansah or Mingo at #6 instead.

Arizona is likely to take a lineman of some sort since their OL has sucked for as long as anyone can remember...one of the top 3 tackles if available, but if not, perhaps one of the guards. They could also opt for a pass rusher instead.

At #8, the Bills are actually rumored to want to take Marrone's old QB at Syracuse, Ryan Nassib, but that is a huge reach that high...if they really want him, they could trade down, pick up an extra day two pick, and still get their guy a bit later. The Bills start calling teams to see if anyone wants to trade up to #8. San Diego and Miami would have been interested if one of the top 3 tackles were still on the board but they are not, so Buffalo is struggling to find a partner in the early teens.

The Bills eventually make it down to us and get Colbert on the phone to see if we are interested in jumping up to #8. They tell us that it would cost a 2nd round pick to move up from 17 to 8 according to the trade chart.

1.17 = 950
    2.48 = 420

Total = 1370

1.8 = 1400

Colbert tells Buddy Nix to take a hike, since there is no way he is giving up a mid-second rounder in this draft when the best value appears to be in the 2nd round this year. However, just before hanging up, Nix, realizing this is buyer's market and not a seller's market, since many teams are clamoring to trade down but few are actually willing to trade up, asks if we might be willing to do it for a 3rd instead. If they are going to just draft Nassib at 8 anyway, why not take what they could get (a third pick is still pretty good) rather than holding out for full value according to the chart and risk getting no extra pick. This proposed trade would actually be in our favor according to the chart, but Buffalo's desperate to move down and get a least something good in addition to Nassib.

1.17 = 950
    3.79 = 195

Total = 1145

1.8 = 1400

Would such a move be worth it if we could move ahead of the Jets at #9 (who are corner-hungry after trading Revis this week), and steal away Milliner from them like they stole Revis away from us once upon a time? I'm not concerned about the shoulder long-term, and if he is still hampered by it when training camp arrives, I'm still fine with Ike and Cortez starting with Gay manning the slot in nickel/dime situations. This wouldn't be a pick for immediate need, it would be a pick with 2014 in mind (which is typically what Colbert aims for...he's not necessarily looking for the quick fix...he prefers the best long-term investment for the team).

Remember, Ike turns 33 next week. His base salary also is a million dollars richer for 2014 than it is for 2013 (and many think he's already overpaid for his age now)...what happens when his cap number rises next year and he's a year older...definite candidate to be cut one year from now. At that point, with Keenan Lewis in New Orleans, will have Cortez as one starter, Gay as a solid slot corner, and question marks from the likes of Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, Demarcus Van Dyke, etc. We are going to need a legit starting corner in 2014, so now is the time when Colbert would be looking to fill that need. Milliner could be that guy.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is a possible mock scenario if we traded a 3rd rounder to move up for Milliner (granted, it's defense-heavy early, which some here will certainly hate).

1.8 CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
    2.48 ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
    4.115 OLB John Simon, Ohio State
    5.150 FS Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
    6.186 WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
    6.206 OG J.C. Tretter, Cornell
    7.223 RB Latavious Murray, Central Florida
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't do it ruthless.

we need the picks too badly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I wouldn't do it ruthless.

we need the picks too badly.
    Yes to this. We need more picks not fewer
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't shake the spectre of Limas Sweed, Ricardo Colclough, Alonzo Jackson, and Anthony Smith...Too often, the Steelers have crapped the bed with their second round picks...Maybe they ought to trade their second-rounder instead of their first...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the only way I would consider it is if one of the 3 LT started to slip past 10-12.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the only way I would consider it is if one of the 3 LT started to slip past 10-12.
    I was about to type the same thing. I'd only consider going up for one of the LTs cause at some point, we do just have to protect Ben if we want any chance of making it thru the season healthy.