Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Bouchette said, one of these three could be Steelers pick @ 17

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gerry: Brown, Werner could be surprise Steelers picks Wednesday, 24 April 2013 16:57 Written by Gerry Dulac The Steelers go into tomorrow’s NFL draft with any number of four or five players who they think will be within their reach at No. 17.

Among those are tight end Tyler Eifert, wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, outside linebacker Jarvis Jones and safety Kenny Vaccaro. You can even throw in running back Eddie Lacy.

To me, Eifert was the best player I saw at the NFL combine in February and, since then, have advocated the Steelers picking him in the first round.

First and foremost, the Steelers need more receiving threats to surround Ben Roethlisberger and Eifert might be the best of them all. Sure, he is not going to replace Mike Wallace, but let’s face it – Todd Haley’s offense is not the best fit for Mike Wallace.

Having Wallace run underneath routes or curl patterns is not the best way to employ him. Wallace and his speed are best suited for an outside, over-the-top type of attack, like the Steelers had with Bruce Arians.

But they don’t play that way with Haley, who likes to keep the ball in the middle of the field and usually underneath the deep coverage. That fits perfectly with Eifert, who could be paired in combo with Heath Miller and give the Steelers two big, sure-handed receivers in the middle of the field.

That being said, I want to alert you to two players who could be surprise picks on the first round for the Steelers:

Inside linebacker Arthur Brown of Kansas State.

And defensive end Bjoern Werner of Florida State.

The Steelers love Brown, who could be the most athletic defensive player in the draft. He was a middle linebacker at K-State and that’s where the Steelers see him as well, even though a lot of draft boards list him as an outside linebacker.

The Steelers thought they found a replacement for James Farrior last year when they drafted Miami’s Sean Spence on the third round, but Spence may never play football again because of a severe knee injury suffered last preseason. It’s the reason they had to re-sign veteran Larry Foote for another season.

Werner was projected as a top 10 pick at the combine, one of the best 4-3 defensive ends. But, for some reason, he has been dropping in a lot of mock drafts.

Still, the Steelers saw enough athleticism and agility in Werner to convince them he could play at outside linebacker. He is rangy at 6-3, 261, and can pressure off the edge – something the Steelers have been lacking since the middle of the 2011 season.

So, if you looking for two surprise picks for the Steelers, remember those players.

Tyler Eifert @ 17

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mayock has Eifert going to the Jets at #13.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman thinks it's down to 4 guys- 5 if Rhodes falls-

Jarvis Jones, Cordarelle Patterson, Arthur Brown & yes, Bjoern Werner.

Chadman assumes that Jones & Patterson both fit under Colbert's "8 special players" list, while Brown reminds Chadman if Timmons. Werner is on the list because the Steelers are VERY good at picking up a player who falls & presents great value.

Safety is too deep to select Vacarro, who isn't significantly better than the next 4-5 Safety options.

Eifert is a board favourite, and looks a good player, but like OG, TE is not a premium pick. Both the OG's will slide, and the #1 TE will go in the late 20's-early 30's, as usual.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Eifert is a board favourite, and looks a good player, but like OG, TE is not a premium pick. Both the OG's will slide, and the #1 TE will go in the late 20's-early 30's, as usual.

It is if you have the right TE and use him properly...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Once again, Ed writes an article that any casual fan with a computer could write. Look at the mocks. Those three players (and perhaps Patterson) are the main guys mocked to the Steelers. Thanks again, Ed. Can't wait for more of his "chats"!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Mayock has Eifert going to the Jets at #13.
    That's where I think he will land. I was hoping he's on the board when we pick as I think he could contribute early and feel he could make the transition to the NFL without issue.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    That's where I think he will land. I was hoping he's on the board when we pick as I think he could contribute early and feel he could make the transition to the NFL without issue.
    Things could get interesting. The 49ers have 14 picks and according to Mooch none of their draft class started a game last year or scored a TD. One of the teams interested in coming up. They have a deep full roster and limited room for rookies. They are one of the teams that have the firepower to land where ever they want. They could shuffle the cards really quickly if they come up for Eifert, Austin, or Vacarro. May be looking to get in front of Dolphins(12) -Jets(13)- to back in front of Cowboys(18 )-Rams(22). Falcons also looking for a Julio Jones trade up to land a CB or DE. I bet the Steelers would like to take some of those picks off their hands.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Things could get interesting. The 49ers have 14 picks and according to Mooch none of their draft class started a game last year or scored a TD. One of the teams interested in coming up. They have a deep full roster and limited room for rookies. They are one of the teams that have the firepower to land where ever they want. They could shuffle the cards really quickly if they come up for Eifert, Austin, or Vacarro. May be looking to get in front of Dolphins(12) -Jets(13)- to back in front of Cowboys(18 )-Rams(22). Falcons also looking for a Julio Jones trade up to land a CB or DE. I bet the Steelers would like to take some of those picks off their hands.
    I heard the same thing about San Fran and Atlanta about moving up, so yes it should be interesting as the evening moves forward.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If the CBs start to fall, unfortunately, that may take Atlanta out of the trade picture. Unless they are really in love with one of those guys. If for some instance all 3 top CBs are there at 17, maybe they just wait to see who falls. Denver and New England may be in line for a CB, but the Patsys like Jamar Taylor from what I've read. That would still leave a nice selection of CBs for Atlanta to choose from.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

Ed doesn't haven't a clue who the Steelers will pick? You really think he has inside info and if he did he would pass it along to us? His guess is as good as anyone's on this board.