Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's a no-brainer! If Jarvis Jones is there at 17, he will be highest rated on...

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones says Pittsburgh would be a “great place to play”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2013

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones wants to develop a speed bull rush, like the move used by former Steelers (now Bengals) linebacker James Harrison.

And that could be useful for Jones, since plenty of people think he could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh. So does Jones, who talked about the possibility on Tuesday’s PFT Live.

“If the Steelers took me, it’d be a great place to play,” Jones said. “I love playing in the 3-4 system. I definitely understand a lot concepts and the things that they do up there, being that I played in the 3-4 system. I mean, it wouldn’t be much of a transition from the scheme part, but I think the Steelers are a great place to play especially on defense. . . . Whoever picks me I think I’m gonna take full advantage of it and sacrifice everything to be great.”

The current buzz is that the Steelers are Jones’ floor, at No. 17 in round one. His ceiling is believed to No. 9 or No. 13 because, yes, there’s increasing chatter that the Jets could take him.

Some wonder whether the Saints would make a play for Jones at No. 15. If that’s what they’re planning, folks in position to know are picking up no indications that it could happen.

In a couple of days, we’ll find out what actually does happen.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/jarvis-jones-says-pittsburgh-would-be-a-great-place-to-play/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones is kind of reminding me of Branden Albert - a guy that many wanted early in the process, that some soured on during the process, and that ultimately ended up being off the board when the Steelers picked.

I do have some questions about his size, but his production really does speak for itself. I have no strong feelings on Jones either way - I'm fine if he is the pick and fine if they go in a different direction.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    If one of the two top guards (Warmack or Cooper) falls (unlikely) I take them, even though we have invested a lot in oline lately.
    An interior line with Pouncey, DeCastro and one of those rooks would be scary good.

If they are gone as I expect, I would definately go Jones
    I agree. I think the drop off from the two Gs to Jones is significant. I would just hope somebody else graded in between then would still be there.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Dubs, unless a guy like Milliner falls...and even if he does fall the Steelers might have Jones rated higher...he is that good. I truly believe Jones will be the best pass rusher out of this class.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I wouldn't mind Jones in the first. Not my first pick but I'd like it. I'd also be pretty stoked if Minter fell to us in the second. I don't think he would, but I'd love to see Ovi in meltdown mode
    Why do you think I would meltdown? If we pick Jones, the moment he becomes a Steeler I'm his biggest fan. I just think there is a whole bunch of risk associated with him, but sacking the QB is what I think a defense must do first and foremost. If he can do that great.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I would rather have Sio Moore over Kevin Minter and I was the guy pimping Minter back in October. Sio Moore can play all LB positions in a 3-4 He can cover, he strong, he is quick/fast, and he has mean streak. Add his size (height and weight) and her minds me of.........hmmmmm?...Oh yeah, James Harrison.
    I'm with you on Sio Moore. He moves alot like Timmons and covers very well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    ..the Steelers board. I believe he will be at least the 5th best overall player on their entire board. And to have him there at 17 is an easy pick. He is the best defensive football player in this draft, he is a big time play maker, he fills a major position of need, and as a defensive player in this draft, he is the most NFL ready. A couple months ago I said no way does he make it out of the top 5. Well it sounds as if that is going to happen. In fact if he makes it past New Orleans at 15, he is going to be a Steeler. And this is going to be huge. As a result I have modified my Steeler mock draft. I would not have a problem with them going LB, LB with Jones and Sio Moore 1 and 2 but I think they will go with Jesse Williams instead.
    I think that statement is scenario related. I have many rated higher than Jones and if one is there I would go with the BPA. Is it possible that Jones will be the BPA? Absolutely...But like I said...Scenario driven.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm thinking he goes to the Jets, even with all the Mingo love there.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't have a big feeling about Jones, but I really would prefer Offense first. Yes, I know that this is the D's year. However, I still think that the D is a top 10 D even with the losses we've had in the offseason. The O has struggled as a second tier unit that already lost the #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will be out half the year. I just think that Offense is needed more.

That said, even though I scratch my head at some choices, I trust the FO to make the right call. If the choices is Jones, Mingo or some other D player then so be it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I don't have a big feeling about Jones, but I really would prefer Offense first. Yes, I know that this is the D's year. However, I still think that the D is a top 10 D even with the losses we've had in the offseason. The O has struggled as a second tier unit that already lost the #1 RB, #1 WR and the #1 TE will be out half the year. I just think that Offense is needed more.

That said, even though I scratch my head at some choices, I trust the FO to make the right call. If the choices is Jones, Mingo or some other D player then so be it.
    I don't want them to draft offense for the sake of doing so...

I want them to take the BPA...