Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: It's a no-brainer! If Jarvis Jones is there at 17, he will be highest rated on...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Other than Wallace what impact starter have we let walk? Mendenhall was a guy we benched. His only impact is his dance ability, foot in mouth remarks, and fumbling. I don't see any players with any sort of impact, other than wallace, that left. I like taking a playmaking TE. Just not so much in the first. I don't see a huge separation between Eifert and Ertz. On defense I'd say we've had a blood letting. And I'd also say that AGE is catching up to us. Lewis, Jimmy Hate, and snack were all starters. Letting our top two backups at safety walk means we're one injury away from Robert Golden at safety.
    That's why I'm actually hoping for a Vacarro, Minter, Kelce, McCray (OLB from UF), Lattimore kind of draft.
    On D we do need depth and there looks to be plenty of that in the later rounds. There are younger players ready to take the job from those that are now departed from the team. That doesn't seem to be the case on Offense.

Had Mendy been healthy to start the year he would have been the unquestioned starting RB. He was the best on the team no matter what the message board coaches say. Now we are down the best WR and RB from an 8-8 team. Add to that that we probably don't have our top TE (and one of Ben's favorite weapons) for half the year. This is from a team that was 8-8 and all the best weapons outside of the QB himself are gone.

There may not be a big dropoff between Eifert and the others, but there seems to be a reason why most respected draft experts view him as the unquestioned best TE in this draft and the only one with a first round grade. The reasons for taking him are legion and you can find those on about half the other threads on this board. I won't rehash them.

Either way, I don't see any outrage on my part because of anyone that they pick this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We don't need depth. We need guys that can start in less than a year. Troy and Ryan are on the last leg of their career. Foote is ready to put out to pasture. Using a guy like McLendon to follow up Hampton is a joke.

We had ONE consistent starter on offense to leave. ONE. Mendenhall would not have been the unquestioned starter or else he would never have been BENCHED last year. He has never been CONSISTENT. Miller won't miss more than a couple games so drafting a TE because he's hurt is reactionary at best and idiotic. I can see drafting Eifert IF you want to make the TE the centerpiece of our offense, but show me ONE example of our coaching staff going in that direction. I personally would love to see us utilize our TE's similar in fashion to the *'s offense, I just don't see it happening. All we'll get is Miller lining up in the back field, Ben dropping back and overlooking the dump off guy, and throwing the long ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    We don't need depth. We need guys that can start in less than a year. Troy and Ryan are on the last leg of their career. Foote is ready to put out to pasture. Using a guy like McLendon to follow up Hampton is a joke.

We had ONE consistent starter on offense to leave. ONE. Mendenhall would not have been the unquestioned starter or else he would never have been BENCHED last year. He has never been CONSISTENT. Miller won't miss more than a couple games so drafting a TE because he's hurt is reactionary at best and idiotic. I can see drafting Eifert IF you want to make the TE the centerpiece of our offense, but show me ONE example of our coaching staff going in that direction. I personally would love to see us utilize our TE's similar in fashion to the *'s offense, I just don't see it happening. All we'll get is Miller lining up in the back field, Ben dropping back and overlooking the dump off guy, and throwing the long ball.
    Obviously, we see things very differently. From everything I've seen, Miller will probably miss half the year. Heck, it could be argued that Mendy came back too early from his injuries and wasn't the same. Do we really want to chance that with our top TE as well?

IMO, the D could draft NO ONE and still be top 10 this year. Any players they get added into the draft just provide depth and a possible starter in the future. Again, I'm not advocating that. My only caveat would be if Star drops. If he is available at #17, I would want him no matter who else is on the board.