Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Correct Smythe If He's Wrong About Jarvis Jones........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    One of my favorite memories was watching Timmons run past Troy (who had the angle) to make a tackle on a WR. I don't see Jarvis having that much field speed. Not even close.

What's interesting is Smythe is making the case, Jones has speed but no power. But I'm not sure he even has the speed.

I do think he's got passion for the game and a strong desire to take away the football which reminds me a little of Harrison. But that's about it. I'm back on the Jones seems risky train. He'll either be great or horrible. But nowhere in the middle.
    I never looked at his highlights until the other night. I was expecting to be "Wow'd" at his pass rush ability from the edge and I wasn't. If we were looking for a 4-3 OLB i'd think differently.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I never looked at his highlights until the other night. I was expecting to be "Wow'd" at his pass rush ability from the edge and I wasn't. If we were looking for a 4-3 OLB i'd think differently.
    I think he'll be gone before we pick. If he's there, I think the Steelers avoid him cause of age. If we take him, wonder if we could try to move Worilds inside?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Mike Mayock is one of the highly regarded draft guys. I will be fair to show I'm not bashing on Jones. Mayock has Patterson rated @ #30 now. He was high on Patterson and had him rated as the #1 WR & a top 15 prospect. He dropped him some because of the reports about Patterson's concerns of picking up an offense. I would tell you to bet on Mayock but I am my own person and do my own homework. I have been high on Patterson since Feb. and I won't change. I have seen enough on him on option routes & reading coverage to not worry about his football IQ. There have been elite talent coming out as of late that had the same concerns & low wonderlics and excelled in the NFL. I can't do my own interview and won't sway my judgement by reports that may be smoke. If I am wrong, it will be because of this. I said the only question was his football IQ from the beginning.

To tie Mayock in to Jones. Mayock has Jones rated as his 19th prospect. But he also has Jones as a 4-3 OLB because of the concerns listed above. May be too small and weak at the point of attack to be a 4-3 DE with limited growth potential. May be to heavy footed to place in space and set the edge against the run as a 3-4 OLB. Jones DOES show some great instincts to be around the ball and diagnose plays. If you cover him up, he could really excel. Again, his heavy feet may limit him from being inside in a 3-4 so hence the projection as a 4-3 OLB. May be a great SAM if covered up but may not have the foot speed to be a WIL. I'm still not sure he can't be a WIL because his instincts and recognition could compensate.
    Just watched Mayock's final mock draft special on NFL Network, and he projected Jarvis Jones to the Steelers. One surprise is that Star Lotulelei was still on the board and went to Dallas one pick later. I've been a Jones guy all along, but in the extremely unlikely event that Star happens to be on the board, I think I have to go with the guy who has been compared somewhat favorable to Haloti Ngata.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Just watched Mayock's final mock draft special on NFL Network, and he projected Jarvis Jones to the Steelers. One surprise is that Star Lotulelei was still on the board and went to Dallas one pick later. I've been a Jones guy all along, but in the extremely unlikely event that Star happens to be on the board, I think I have to go with the guy who has been compared somewhat favorable to Haloti Ngata.
    If Star drops, that's a no brainer pick. We talk about how guys like Heath or Decastro fell to us. This would be one of the luckiest happenings in recent Steelers draft history. I cannot fathom him falling to us let alone past us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I saw that as well. Star seems to be a no-brainer if he's there.

BTW- in Mayock's mock, Eifert goes to the Jets at #13. I didn't think I'd see think I'd see the mock with Eifert going six picks ahead of Star Lotulelei.