Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Loves Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Harrison contract shows what a beating he took

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    As it pertains to new Bengals linebacker [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison"]James Harrison[/URL], we now have a dollar figure to attach to pride.

And his was costly.

According to Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, Harrison’s new two-year deal with the Bengals [URL="https://twitter.com/HBalzer721/statuses/327068476499976193"]is worth $4.45 million[/URL], including a $1.2 million signing bonus.

The deal includes base salaries of $1.4 million and $1.1 million, workout bonuses of $100,000 each year, and per-game roster bonuses which could total $300,000 this year and $250,000 next year.

That means his maximum payout this year is $3 million.

Compare that to the what he could have made in Pittsburgh, and he clearly lost this offseason.

According to an earlier report, Harrison [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/"]turned down a 30 percent pay cut[/URL] from the Steelers, which included a chance to earn the balance back in incentives.

Based on the $6.57 million in base salary he would have received before he was released, that comes out to around $4.5 million this year.

So while he said he [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/james-harrison-i-dont-hate-the-steelers/"]didn’t hate the Steelers[/URL], he’ll doubtless be motivated to make up the difference on the field twice this season.
    What an idiot. At least I hope he has fired his agent since he can't fire himself since both are morons for turning down the Steelers' offer.

I hope that ego was worth $1.5 million this year.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Harrison contract shows what a beating he took

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    As it pertains to new Bengals linebacker [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison"]James Harrison[/URL], we now have a dollar figure to attach to pride.

And his was costly.

According to Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, Harrison’s new two-year deal with the Bengals [URL="https://twitter.com/HBalzer721/statuses/327068476499976193"]is worth $4.45 million[/URL], including a $1.2 million signing bonus.

The deal includes base salaries of $1.4 million and $1.1 million, workout bonuses of $100,000 each year, and per-game roster bonuses which could total $300,000 this year and $250,000 next year.

That means his maximum payout this year is $3 million.

Compare that to the what he could have made in Pittsburgh, and he clearly lost this offseason.

According to an earlier report, Harrison [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/harrison-rejected-30-percent-pay-cut-opportunity-to-earn-it-back/"]turned down a 30 percent pay cut[/URL] from the Steelers, which included a chance to earn the balance back in incentives.

Based on the $6.57 million in base salary he would have received before he was released, that comes out to around $4.5 million this year.

So while he said he [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/james-harrison-i-dont-hate-the-steelers/"]didn’t hate the Steelers[/URL], he’ll doubtless be motivated to make up the difference on the field twice this season.
    He should not hate the steelers. he should hate his agent. Not only would he had a 4.5 million Deal THIS YEAR. They were going to load the deal with bonus incentive to recover the 6.5 million. Now he signs a 2 year 4.5 million deal. Sorry James horriable advice from your agent. Enjoy practicing outside in Cincy in Dec. I truely loved Harrison as a player and still do. I just hate to see him get screwed so bad by his agent. Deebo needs to fire that guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Symantics. Harrison takes a cut he continues to be a Steeler. His health, age and his play had not warranted his salary. The Steelers tried to work with him, and it sounds like they offered more than anyone else. I just don't see the resentment. He got "terminated" because he refused to acknowledge he is aging, oft hurt and no longer quite as beastly as he once was.
    No, it's not semantics. He was hired at a previously agreed amount to do a job and felt that he deserved to be paid that way. He was fired because he wouldn't agree to be paid less. As you can see from the article, there is no resentment. That was manufactured for the press by a quote from a Bengals player.

It's not like James is the first high profile athlete to overestimate what people would pay for his services and he won't be the last. He took a gamble and lost out this time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    No, it's not semantics. He was hired at a previously agreed amount to do a job and felt that he deserved to be paid that way. He was fired because he wouldn't agree to be paid less. As you can see from the article, there is no resentment. That was manufactured for the press by a quote from a Bengals player.

It's not like James is the first high profile athlete to overestimate what people would pay for his services and he won't be the last. He took a gamble and lost out this time.
    Good post.. not sure why people are jumping on Harrison for expecting to get paid what he agreed to... Especially when you look at Troy P and how much time he's missed or Woodley and his lack of production.

JH felt he was worth a certain amount and the market didn't agree... isn't the first or last time this will happen I just hope we were right about him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What an idiot. At least I hope he has fired his agent since he can't fire himself since both are morons for turning down the Steelers' offer.

I hope that ego was worth $1.5 million this year.
    Here is the thing... Harrison doesn't seem like the Revis type. IMO James felt disrespected by the FO asking him to play for less.

I bet he would feel like a bigger idiot if he took our offer and didn't even try the market. I think it may have led to some bad blood in the locker room too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

HArrison needs to fire the agent ASAP....

Bungholes got him for peanuts....If i was Harrison i would have retired .
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    No, it's not semantics. He was hired at a previously agreed amount to do a job and felt that he deserved to be paid that way.
    Just as the Steelers agreed to compensate him for a certain level of production. The Steelers felt that they deserved that certain level...when they didn't receive it, they asked to be able to pay less...

Unfortunately for James, the Steelers were right...

Unfortunately for both, James is now a Bengal...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Just as the Steelers agreed to compensate him for a certain level of production. The Steelers felt that they deserved that certain level...when they didn't receive it, they asked to be able to pay less...

Exactly....
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

..and unfortunately we still have players on our roster who will never reach the production level we paid them for...

yay us?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    HArrison needs to fire the agent ASAP....

Bungholes got him for peanuts....If i was Harrison i would have retired .
    Unless Harrison told the agent to take the deal and he refused I can't see why he would fire the agent...and I highly doubt the agent would do the opposite of what he asked.

From the sound of it James made it clear he knew he was gone before negotiations even started.