Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers haven't closed the door on Hampton or Starks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good article Hawaiian, tough to lose guys like this, but you have to get younger at some time. Great line about his helmet fitting too tight!!
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Administrator

User Info Menu

Always liked Hampton but it's time for the Steelers to move on.

What has always impressed me about Big Snack is how durable (injury free) and consistent for so many years.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought Hampton deserved to be XL SuperBowl MVP. Even at an older age, I still think his health was the reason for the resurgence in our team D last season.

This is a good article about Hampton. A lot of the same from a character perspective can be said about Max. 2 super nice guys. And no idea why the Steelers were so concerned about their weight. It really didn't impact their play like it did for a lot of other guys.

These guys are gonna miss training camp. That's the one time of year they can eat as much as they want. I've heard some of these guys have lost 10+ lbs in a day of camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin: Steelers will “sort out” offensive tackle situation

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 23, 2013

At the club’s pre-draft press conference Monday, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert — the club’s primary right tackles the last two seasons — have the ability to play on the left side and that a decision on where they will play could take some time.

“I think one of the things that we learned through the trials of the 2012 season is that both of those young men are capable of playing both spots,” Tomlin said, according to the club. “We will use the spring and the summer to sort out where we play those two at, but both guys have shown that they are capable of being viable left tackles and right tackle-like candidates.”

The Steelers drafted Gilbert in Round Two of the 2011 draft and made Adams a second-rounder one year later. The duo has combined to start three-quarters of the Steelers’ regular-season games at right tackle in the last two seasons, though both missed time with ankle injuries in 2012.

Max Starks, who started all 16 games at left tackle for Pittsburgh last season, is an unrestricted free agent. General manager Kevin Colbert indicated Monday that the club was open to re-signing Starks and other free agents from a season ago, but whom the team drafts this week is part of that equation.

If the Steelers don’t draft another tackle early, the question becomes whether Adams or Gilbert can handle the left side on a full-time basis. Starks bought the Steelers some time, starting 28 regular-season consecutive games. If the Steelers had to call upon him later in the offseason, they know they would getting a short-term, plug-and-play option. That said, the Steelers didn’t invest two second-round picks in back-to-back years just to have strong depth at right tackle.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/tomlin-steelers-will-sort-out-offensive-tackle-situation/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers open to bringing back Kimo Von Olehoffen because Ziggy is mediocre at best.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know Hoke still lives here in Avonworth. Maybe we can coax him and Aaron Smith out of retirement.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it would be wise to bring back Straks after June 1st. He would create GREAT depth at the tackle position. Hampton would have to be a vet min with no bonus if an injury comes up. He won't want to go through camp. I think you have to see what McClendon, Ta'Amu, and Fangupo have.