Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    "Quite honestly, I don't envision anybody coming in and being an impact in Year 1," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said at Monday's pre-draft news conference. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur."

Yeah, do you read yours? Above is the quote I initially commented on and was ripped apart over. I haven't swayed from commenting on the above words. He doesn't envision anyone coming in and being an impact player. As I pointed out, 4 of our last 9 first rounders have had big impacts. Ben, Santonio, Heath, and Pouncey all had huge impacts their rookie years. Then he states that a growing process HAS to occur. Tell me what growing process the above named 4 players HAD to go through on their way to having very productive and very impactful rookie seasons...
    OMG... lets try this again but I really think Avonworth screwed you over in reading comp...

The guy is saying he doesn't expect rookies to have an impact in year 1. He isn't say it isn't possible. All he is saying is he doesn't envision, expect, see, etc... rookies having an impact in year 1. He never said it doesn't happen... he never said it won't happen. All he is saying is he keeps expectations low because he feels like players get better as they grow in our system.

You avi photo makes perfect sense... lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

I find it funny that so much work is going in to dissect the exact meaning of coachspeak (or GMspeak in this instance) right before the draft. It means nothing!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I find it funny that so much work is going in to dissect the exact meaning of coachspeak (or GMspeak in this instance) right before the draft. It means nothing!!
    True. .

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You can insinuate whatever you want about me Feltdizz, but I'll say you or anyone else are bullsh*tting or are full of it if come tomorrow night we take Eifert, Austin, Womack, Lacey, Lane Johnson, Cooper, Hopkins, Patterson, Allen, and you state you can't envision them being an impact player in year one, potentially day one and that they need a year of grooming. If we take any of those listed I think anyone with half a brain would expect them to make a near immediate impact.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think defining impact might help a bit. IMO, "making an impact" is what RGIII, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick and maybe a few other that I'm missing did for their teams. With that definition the Steelers do not expect any player to "make an impact", if they happen to have a season of similar production its a bonus. The offensive players mentioned may not be expected to make an impact, but I don't see how Colbert would expect them to sit either, I think he would expect some level of positive production from any of the players the Mister P listed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't think Colbert expects an impact player and in some positions I do believe he wold have high expectations (if he doesn't, he should).

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Btw Pap, I like your mock a lot....and I would fully expect Eddie Lacey to be an impact player
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Btw Pap, I like your mock a lot....and I would fully expect Eddie Lacey to be an impact player
    I concur about Lacy, if he stays healthy i believe he would have an impact.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I think defining impact might help a bit. IMO, "making an impact" is what RGIII, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick and maybe a few other that I'm missing did for their teams. With that definition the Steelers do not expect any player to "make an impact", if they happen to have a season of similar production its a bonus. The offensive players mentioned may not be expected to make an impact, but I don't see how Colbert would expect them to sit either, I think he would expect some level of positive production from any of the players the Mister P listed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't think Colbert expects an impact player and in some positions I do believe he wold have high expectations (if he doesn't, he should).

Pappy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Steelers will have high expectations of their Rd 1, 2, & 3 picks, modest expectation of their Rd 4, 5 picks and less expectation of their 6 & 7 picks.
    I don't believe the Steelers will put together their offensive and defensive rosters expecting any of the picks need to make an impact in order to have a winning season. If it does happen, great. But it isn't necessary. I think that is what Colbert is trying to communicate.

Legend

User Info Menu

You can insinuate whatever you want about me Feltdizz, but I'll say you or anyone else are bullsh*tting or are full of it if come tomorrow night we take Eifert, Austin, Womack, Lacey, Lane Johnson, Cooper, Hopkins, Patterson, Allen, and you state you can't envision them being an impact player in year one, potentially day one and that they need a year of grooming. If we take any of those listed I think anyone with half a brain would expect them to make a near immediate impact.
    I think this is the difference between a GM and a fan.

Of course I want and expect to see an impact from a 1st rounder... we all do.. but what happens more times than not? The board wonders why a guy isnt blowing us away and showing out in camp. We start coming up with bust names.... point out the guy who was picked before and after him and ask why we arent getting that type of production.

Then you have posters who get it and remind us its year one... its not a sprint its a marathon... and point to players who had boring first years but turned into stars. We dont rush our rookies onto the field... you have 3 guys on a list of 9 or 10 who started day 1, the rest were forced to play due to injury or didnt have an impact.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think that, if they do make an impact, that would be great!

I think that, if you are banking upon them making an impact, you are setting yourself up for disappointment...

You have no reason to be indignant. If you get sucked into coachspeak, that's your issue...