Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie
    April, 22, 2013
    Apr 222:00PM ETBy Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com Recommend13Tweet9Comments164EmailPrintRecent history says first-round picks don't start right away for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's not likely to change even though the Steelers have needs at outside linebacker and tight end.

"Quite honestly, I don't envision anybody coming in and being an impact in Year 1," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said at Monday's pre-draft news conference. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur."

The Steelers have been heavily linked to Georgia's Jarvis Jones, who many thought would supplant Jason Worilds at outside linebacker. Others predicted Pittsburgh would take Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert because of the uncertain status of Heath Miller (Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin said there is "no new news" on the status of Miller, who tore knee ligaments toward the end of last season.)

Still, when asked if he thought this was a big draft for a Steelers team looking to rebound from an 8-8 season, Colbert repeated his expectations of rookies.

"(The draft is) really no more critical than any other year because I don't see any player coming and being an immediate impact player," he said. "I think if we lined up today with what we have, we'll have a chance. Now, we want to continue to add to that and let these players develop at their own pace. If they exceed that and come in and start like a (Maurice) Pouncey did or a Casey Hampton, great. But we've had great players who had to sit and learn. Quite honestly, I would expect this group to be like that. If they exceed that, that's a bonus for us."

The two positions where I could see a rookie making an immediate impact for the Steelers is outside linebacker and tight end. I believe Jones, if healthy, can provide more of a pass rush than Worilds, and Eifert is an upgrade over Matt Spaeth.

Speaking of Jones, the Steelers were asked about the medical red flags with the draft's pass-rushers. Jones was once diagnosed with stenosis, the narrowing of the spinal column.

"Obviously, some things we look at hardcore is medical and character issues and we deal with those on a case by case basis," Tomlin said. "But really no more than we have any other position. We give it all its due diligence."

Colbert said he feels there are six to eight special players in this draft, but he doubts the Steelers will trade up in the first round.

"I think the more picks we have, the better in this draft particularly," he said. "There will be a good player at 17, there's no question about that."

Since the Steelers selected Heath Miller eight years ago, only one first-round pick (center Maurkice Pouncey) was an immediate starter for the Steelers. That group includes wide receiver Santonio Holmes, linebacker Lawrence Timmons, running back Rashard Mendenhall, defensive linemen Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward and guard David DeCastro. But DeCastro was projected to start as a rookie before suffering a knee injury in preseason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I caught the press conference online. That was interesting to me too. It seems that a lot of fans want someone who can make an immediate impact- I'm one of them. However, the FO doesn't seem to have that mindset. At least they are being careful to avoid projecting that.

I also thought it was interesting how Tomlin is trying more and more to meet with the players families prior to the draft now as opposed to just afterward. He uses it to get a feel for the kind of person the player is.

When they went through the list of players that were lost to other teams (Wallace, Mendy, etc) it was funny to catch the look on Tomlins face (if only for a second) when Colbert mentioned Harrison as "terminated."

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I caught the press conference online. That was interesting to me too. It seems that a lot of fans want someone who can make an immediate impact- I'm one of them. However, the FO doesn't seem to have that mindset. At least they are being careful to avoid projecting that.

I also thought it was interesting how Tomlin is trying more and more to meet with the players families prior to the draft now as opposed to just afterward. He uses it to get a feel for the kind of person the player is.

When they went through the list of players that were lost to other teams (Wallace, Mendy, etc) it was funny to catch the look on Tomlins face (if only for a second) when Colbert mentioned Harrison as "terminated."
    Good idea on Mike Tomlin's part. Meeting with a player's family gives clues about his upbringing. The more dysfunctional the family, the less appealing they become.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They also said this:
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162302/article/steelers-havent-closed-the-door-on-hampton-starks[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Ovi's not gonna like this. Sounds like Dick Lebeau is in Colbert's ear now.

Legend

User Info Menu

What's interesting is fans continue to talk about the FO like they have an impact approach on day one. We've always had a dry toast approach in FA and in the draft... yet fans keep wishing on a star that we turn into the Redskins in FA and on draft day.

Backup

User Info Menu

Maybe that's the whole problem

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Ovi's not gonna like this. Sounds like Dick Lebeau is in Colbert's ear now.
    And the results will be the results when we miss the play offs next year too.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What's interesting is fans continue to talk about the FO like they have an impact approach on day one. We've always had a dry toast approach in FA and in the draft... yet fans keep wishing on a star that we turn into the Redskins in FA and on draft day.
    A lot of people were thinking that the team might need to vary from that strategy this year. They did lose the #1 RB, #1 WR, top OLB as well as a starting CB and the #1 TE to injury. It doesn't seem like a "normal" year from that standpoint.

Legend

User Info Menu

A lot of people were thinking that the team might need to vary from that strategy this year. They did lose the #1 RB, #1 WR, top OLB as well as a starting CB and the #1 TE to injury. It doesn't seem like a "normal" year from that standpoint.
    Well said. That's what I've been thinking. Yet the Steelers stick with what works for them. Sometimes it even feels to a point of being stubborn. Especially in an era of instant gratification and some teams seem to be able to turn a team around in an instant these days.