Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And the results will be the results when we miss the play offs next year too.
    I'll take the Steelers way over Ovi's way any day of the week...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Smart move on your part since they are the only ones who get to make a real choice. Sort of like betting on a horse that is the Ky Derby versus one that isn't. Your judgement would be seriously questioned if you picked the latter.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would hate to see it.

no drafting of defensive players at all because they don't come in and make all pro immediately, and trading away numerous picks for players like cj spiller.

Hall of Famer
    I continue to be baffled by those that think the Steelers approach has to change. History shows that their methods work. They are consistently in the hunt every season. And yet some here think that the Steelers need to change their ways even though there is no evidence that plugging in rookies every season produces a consistent winner. In fact, show me a team using that approach and I would suspect their record is nothing close to what the Steelers have done in the last decade.
    More than anything else, I point to last season as an aberration due to injury to key contributors. It happens sometimes, and there is not a lot the FO or staff can do about it.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Steelers are full of sh*t.
    2004 Ben - Started year one -AFCCG
    2005 Heath - 6 TD catches
    2006 Santonio - 824 yds receiving - would of been 10 yards shy of leading our team this past season
    2007 Timmons - extremely young and inexperienced linebacker...athletic enough to start over Foote but Lebeau's system would not allow it. Our second rounder Woodley played though with 4 sacks.
    2008 Mendenhall - day one starter till Ray broke his shoulder
    2009 Hood - retarded draft pick...3/4 DE in first round is moronic
    2010 Pouncey - day one starter
    2011 Heyward - retarded draft pick....3/4 DE in first round is moronic
    2012 DeCastro - day one starter prior to injury

6 impact rookies and 3 non factors. All non factors were defensive players. Colbert is a douchebag for trying to revise their own history. Stating they don't expect an impact rookie is jibberish when 75% of their last 9 drafts procured impact rookies and really there is no reason Heyward or Hood couldn't have started day one considering their job is to 'eat up blocks'.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    2006 Santonio - 824 yds receiving - would of been 10 yards shy of leading our team this past season
    2007 Timmons - extremely young and inexperienced linebacker...athletic enough to start over Foote but Lebeau's system would not allow it. Our second rounder Woodley played though with 4 sacks.

6 impact rookies and 3 non factors. All non factors were defensive players. Colbert is a douchebag for trying to revise their own history. Stating they don't expect an impact rookie is jibberish when 75% of their last 9 drafts procured impact rookies and really there is no reason Heyward or Hood couldn't have started day one considering their job is to 'eat up blocks'.
    That is why we should draft impact rookies on offense who will actually play and not use a Round 1 pick on a rookie who won't see the field. I've never said don't draft defensive players as many want to exaggerate and characterize. What I have consistently said is that they won't play for one to two years. Until we change the decision makers on the defensive side of the ball I would stuick to getting offensive difference makers in Round one and develop defensive players in the other rounds since knowing the system seems to be a more important attribute than talent.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I am finding more and more that the Steelers like to 'talk' about who they are and what they do, but it doesn't match the reality of what they do. Remember when we didn't negotiate contracts during the season, until we did? Remember when we didn't sign vets to their 3rd contract or sign players over 30, until we did? And now Colbert says rookies rarely contribute, but the fact of the matter is out of their last 9 first round picks Timmons is the only player that wasn't truly capable of starting. Hood and Heyward BOTH could of started year one if it wasn't for a vet already being on the roster starting in front of them.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

Ben only started because Maddox was injured..
    Mendenhall never started on day one... It was game 4 and only due to an injury to Parker. Mendenhall had 4 fumbles in 2 preseason games.

We had a few guys play on day 1 but when that happens you can tell the coaches are stubborn about it and players damn near have to force the coaches to play them. IMO Colbert isn't lying... I wish he was but he isn't. I would prefer to go young early and often but this is how we operate and it works more times than not.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 04-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben only started because Maddox was injured..
    Mendenhall never started on day one... It was game 4 and only due to an injury to Parker. Mendenhall had 4 fumbles in 2 preseason games.

We had a few guys play on day 1 but when that happens you can tell the coaches are stubborn about it and players damn near have to force the coaches to play them. IMO Colbert isn't lying... I wish he was but he isn't. I would prefer to go young early and often but this is how we operate and it works more times than not.
    The point is still there man that colbert is full of it. Ben clearly without question 'had an impact' his rookie year. Mendenhall played, but didn't 'start' which isn't unusual for the RB position since they rotate. Doesn't matter if the coaches have some bullcrap dislike of rookies like they have to 'earn their place at the table'....fact of the matter is Colbert is dead wrong in his statement that Steeler rookies don't have an impact their first year.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend
    The point is still there man that colbert is full of it. Ben clearly without question 'had an impact' his rookie year. Mendenhall played, but didn't 'start' which isn't unusual for the RB position since they rotate. Doesn't matter if the coaches have some bullcrap dislike of rookies like they have to 'earn their place at the table'....fact of the matter is Colbert is dead wrong in his statement that Steeler rookies don't have an impact their first year.
    he said he doesn't ENVISION them having an impact... which IMO means he doesn't expect or draft with the expectation of a 1st rounder having an impact. If they do it's a plus but he envisions them being solid contributors down the road vs day one or year one.

We usually draft players and expect them to sit behind a vet and learn how it's done vs drafting a hole and plugging in day 1 with a rookie.