Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Envision: To picture in the mind; imagine.

Example... I don't envision Ike intercepting a pass in week 1.

This doesn't mean it hasn't happened in his career but I don't envision it happening anytime soon
    Which is ludacris as they have had an impact, sometimes a huge impact, at least half the time over the last 9 drafts.....edited: close to half...4 out of 9 were big impact players in Ben, Heath, Stonio, Pouncey...we will never know the impact Decastro would of had.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    My point still stands though...when 2/3 of our rookies make an impact their rookie year by FACT, you can hypothecize all day long why Colbert would make an untrue statement.
    He did no such thing:

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    "Quite honestly, I don't envision anybody coming in and being an impact in Year 1," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said at Monday's pre-draft news conference. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur."
    Still, when asked if he thought this was a big draft for a Steelers team looking to rebound from an 8-8 season, Colbert repeated his expectations of rookies.

"(The draft is) really no more critical than any other year because I don't see any player coming and being an immediate impact player," he said. "I think if we lined up today with what we have, we'll have a chance. Now, we want to continue to add to that and let these players develop at their own pace. If they exceed that and come in and start like a (Maurice) Pouncey did or a Casey Hampton, great. But we've had great players who had to sit and learn. Quite honestly, I would expect this group to be like that. If they exceed that, that's a bonus for us."
    There is no untruth here...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The 'Burgh Report ‏@TheBurghReport 5m
    Jarvis Jones says #Steelers won't pass on him if he's there at 17. Sounds similar to what they told Cameron Heyward in 2011 at 31.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He did no such thing:

There is no untruth here...
    What are you talking about? How can you even say that? He says he can't envision a rookie coming in and being an impact, but it has happened in nearly half his drafts over the last 9 years. If I fell down my front steps 4 mornings out of the next 9 I would look pretty moronic to wake up on the 10th morning and say 'I can't envision falling down the stairs this morning'
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I just don't think Colbert and Tomlin are going to come out and say, "We expect to draft two or three immediate starters this year". You would be putting a lot of pressure on yourself in the public and the veterans reactions would also cause a stir. Who are they trying to replace, etc, etc.
    In all honesty, why even have a pre-draft meeting? All 32 pre-draft meetings probably went the same way: no information given and vague answers.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Which is ludacris as they have had an impact, sometimes a huge impact, at least half the time over the last 9 drafts.....edited: close to half...4 out of 9 were big impact players in Ben, Heath, Stonio, Pouncey...we will never know the impact Decastro would of had.
    You call Colberts comments Ludacris?
    Nothing in his comments are Ludacris!!!

You want Ludacris......I'll give you Ludacris:

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

What are you talking about? How can you even say that? He says he can't envision a rookie coming in and being an impact, but it has happened in nearly half his drafts over the last 9 years. If I fell down my front steps 4 mornings out of the next 9 I would look pretty moronic to wake up on the 10th morning and say 'I can't envision falling down the stairs this morning'
    Something is making you look that way...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Something is making you look that way...
    Yeah...pointing out facts...how horrendous.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    The 'Burgh Report ‏@TheBurghReport 5m
    Jarvis Jones says #Steelers won't pass on him if he's there at 17. Sounds similar to what they told Cameron Heyward in 2011 at 31.
    Don't buy it.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Honestly.. I don't see too many rookies standing out and helping teams win games. I think when we see a few who do it turns into "every where else but here"

Besides last year we have been a 10 to 12 win team most years... how much help do we need from rookies? Sure it would be nice to get more TO's from our D but does anyone think rookies would be the key to fixing that problem?

Besides TO's our D isn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. I would prefer more "impact" rookies and young guys at skill positions on offense. I don't think our D is the reason we lost most of our games last year.
    Standout rookies are few and far between throughout the league, regardless of defensive system. The standouts are typically top 10 picks, like Aldon Smith.

When you have a good team, as the Steelers generally do, and pick late, as the Steelers generally do, there is not a lot of opportunity for rookies. Plus, the coaches see these guys every day in practice. When they demand playing time through their performance, they make it onto the field. That seems preferable to handing the team over to rookies and hoping for the best.