Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 1.17 becoming obvious

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You want him to pass on the next Ben Roethlisberger so that we can take the next Stacey Andrews?

Sorry man, just had to get that in.
    lol .
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The difference between the 6th ranked defense in points per game (us) and 22nd ranked defense, is 4.7 points per game.
    the difference between the 22nd ranked offense in points per game (us) and 6th ranked offense, is 5.7 points per game.

Our running game sucked last year and we did nothing to improve it in FA. We lost our deep threat WR. Our TE who is a real pass catching weapon and good run blocker is out for at least, I would think, half the season or more. We lost our stable LT. Our offense was pretty piss poor last year. Some of the reason was talent, some injuries.

Our defense last year was near the top of the league without three of the top players, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, making much of an impact until near the end of the season. We lost Harrison and Lewis but have two young players ready to step into those spots.

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside. The Steelers made the decision to push Ike and Troys money into the future and were unable to cut either to sign Lewis and have two young CB's. I just think they chose to make that decision, now they need to live with it. Gotta provide thir franchise QB with quality players so he has talent to work with the remainder of his career. I think a good start would be Eifert.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside.
    I like your thinking, and hope the Steelers do too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The difference between the 6th ranked defense in points per game (us) and 22nd ranked defense, is 4.7 points per game.
    the difference between the 22nd ranked offense in points per game (us) and 6th ranked offense, is 5.7 points per game.

Our running game sucked last year and we did nothing to improve it in FA. We lost our deep threat WR. Our TE who is a real pass catching weapon and good run blocker is out for at least, I would think, half the season or more. We lost our stable LT. Our offense was pretty piss poor last year. Some of the reason was talent, some injuries.

Our defense last year was near the top of the league without three of the top players, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, making much of an impact until near the end of the season. We lost Harrison and Lewis but have two young players ready to step into those spots.

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside. The Steelers made the decision to push Ike and Troys money into the future and were unable to cut either to sign Lewis and have two young CB's. I just think they chose to make that decision, now they need to live with it. Gotta provide thir franchise QB with quality players so he has talent to work with the remainder of his career. I think a good start would be Eifert.
    I second your post!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Ertz will be there at pick 48 so we'll get him. I know most everyone thinks he'll be gone, but I bet we get him there. Better players will be available @ 17, so we pass on Eifert. We may even pass on Ertz in the 2nd. I would be happy with either pick, but I know Colbert personally and he told me his plans.
    I want Sims out of Michigan State in the fourth or fifth round.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't cry a bit if we went offense the first three rounds.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

By Nick DeWitt(Featured Columnist) on April 22, 2013 180
    Steelers completing their preparations for this week's NFL draft festivities, rumors are swirling about what the reloading Steelers will do with their eight draft choices. Needs are present at running back, safety, linebacker and cornerback. There are a ton of talented prospects available.
    Here's a roundup of the latest Steelers draft buzz from around the web.

Tyler Eifert in Round 1?

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images Tight end wouldn't seem to be a big area of need for a Pittsburgh Steelers team that has a star in his prime (Heath Miller), a veteran blocker (Matt Spaeth) and a young prospect (David Paulson) already on the roster.

But the Spaeth and Paulson are more complementary pieces than starters and there are serious questions surrounding Miller's health and recovery from a late-season knee injury.

Sportige is now surmising that Pittsburgh may shock everyone and go with a tight end like Tyler Eifert in the first round.

That still seems to be a luxury that Pittsburgh cannot afford with pressing needs on defense and in the backfield, but the Steelers have a habit of taking the best player available regardless of their needs.

If Eifert is the top player on their draft board available at 17th overall, then he will be the pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside... I think a good start would be Eifert.
    Exactly what I believe too. The defense will likely take a step back this year so drafting a future starter for two years from now doesn't make sense when you can get a player who will boost the offense now to help make up the difference.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You want him to pass on the next Ben Roethlisberger so that we can take the next Stacey Andrews?

Sorry man, just had to get that in.
    Should have said draft like Bill and Dan are there. At least Dan's now back. Maybe he can draft for us.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't cry a bit if we went offense the first three rounds.
    I could see investing 2 of the top 3 picks on offense (a WR and a RB), but I would like to grab at least one defensive player. There seems to be a lot of safety depth in rounds 2-3, and this is a nice blending of a future need matching the available talent. A safety would have the opportunity to contribute early in sub packages and leave the Steelers prepared for the future with Troy and Clark getting older.