Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 1.17 becoming obvious

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the only thing that is becoming obvious is the the board that will be available at #17 may not have the Steelers "biggest needs" at the Top of their board. I think many on here will be saying "Why" come Thursday night.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly what I believe too. The defense will likely take a step back this year so drafting a future starter for two years from now doesn't make sense when you can get a player who will boost the offense now to help make up the difference.
    yep. my thoughts on the subject exactly. especially when you throw in things like the league being an offensive league at this point and damn near every rule change over the last decade favoring the offense. how many times do you see in a game where the WR's or TE's can initiate contact but as soon as the defender reaches out to touch the WR or TE to guage body position they are penalized.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    yep. my thoughts on the subject exactly. especially when you throw in things like the league being an offensive league at this point and damn near every rule change over the last decade favoring the offense. how many times do you see in a game where the WR's or TE's can initiate contact but as soon as the defender reaches out to touch the WR or TE to guage body position they are penalized.
    we've been saying this for the last 3 years... and I don't think we have ever gone for an offensive weapon these last 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The difference between the 6th ranked defense in points per game (us) and 22nd ranked defense, is 4.7 points per game.
    the difference between the 22nd ranked offense in points per game (us) and 6th ranked offense, is 5.7 points per game.

Our running game sucked last year and we did nothing to improve it in FA. We lost our deep threat WR. Our TE who is a real pass catching weapon and good run blocker is out for at least, I would think, half the season or more. We lost our stable LT. Our offense was pretty piss poor last year. Some of the reason was talent, some injuries.

Our defense last year was near the top of the league without three of the top players, Troy, Harrison, Woodley, making much of an impact until near the end of the season. We lost Harrison and Lewis but have two young players ready to step into those spots.

I think for this draft I would go offense early as offensive players will contribute immediately, and try and hit on defenders in the mid to late rounds on developable players with high upside. The Steelers made the decision to push Ike and Troys money into the future and were unable to cut either to sign Lewis and have two young CB's. I just think they chose to make that decision, now they need to live with it. Gotta provide thir franchise QB with quality players so he has talent to work with the remainder of his career. I think a good start would be Eifert.
    Our defense was pathetic without Harrison, and we get that forever.
    It took the rest of the season to climb back to number one after a horrid september.
    Would not shock if we went LB especially if Jones is there

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Our defense was pathetic without Harrison, and we get that forever.
    It took the rest of the season to climb back to number one after a horrid september.
    Would not shock if we went LB especially if Jones is there
    And having the "bumper sticker title" of #1 got us out of the play offs. Meaningless honor which is why I would prefer we draft an offensive weapon that will put points on the board.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll be happy if we get someone that helps us in the RedZone or someone that helps us pressure the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And having the "bumper sticker title" of #1 got us out of the play offs. Meaningless honor which is why I would prefer we draft an offensive weapon that will put points on the board.
    Since Ben we have added "elite" draft picks (Santonio, Menenhall, Sweed) and 3rd round and later draft picks (Parker, Wallace, Brown, Sanders,) at skill positions.
    I see no correlation whatsoever between offensive production and and when we draft skill players.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'll be happy if we get someone that helps us in the RedZone or someone that helps us pressure the QB.
    If I went offense I go Oline YET AGAIN, because the interior run game has been keeping us from scoring, not lack of talent at receiver

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't care if we traded UP and grabbed Warmack or Lane Johnson to solidify the OL. I have ZERO faith in Gilbert. Lane Johnson would start day one at LT.
    I don't agree with your sentiment that our defense sucked all year until Harrison emerged the final month. We played well the final month, but played well most the season other than the two games early.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The defense last year had 2 games where they gave up more points than the league average defense. The offense scored less points than the league average offense 8 times. We lost Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall, and Heath will be out for at least half if not more of the season. This was based of of the final score and 3 of the games showing the defense did worse are actually just the offense throwing pick 6's or the offense fumbling the game away so even though the offense did better than league average, they cost the team the game in those instances. I know the numbers are jacked due to this fact but this was meant as a quick exercise to show our offense sucks way worse than our defense when compared to league average and the offense has lost more players of importance. Plus, the offense has a potential HOF QB who needs surrounded by talent to end his career.

L 31-19 defense worseoffense worse
    W 27-10 defense better – offense better
    L 34-31 defense worse – offense better
    BYE WEEK
    W 16-14 defense better – offense worse
    L 26-23 defense worseoffense worse
    W 24-17 defense better – offense better
    W 27-12 defense better – offense better
    W 24-20 defense better – offense better
    W 16-13 OT defense better – offense worse
    L 13-10 defense better – offense worse
    L 20-14 defense better – offense worse