The last first round picks of Cowher's tenure were:

Burress (Selected 8th)
    Hampton (Selcted 19th)
    Timmons (Selected 15th)
    Troy (16th overall)
    Ben (11th Overall)
    Heath (13th pick)
    Santonio (25th pick)
    Way to go COWHER for picking STUDS with the 20th pick or lower. Last time I checked having a top 20 pick basically means you didnt make the playoffs or lost very EARLY. So I'm really glad Cowher had solid picks with some really high draft selections. Tomlin hasnt really had the joy of sucking this many years in a row to build up picks #20 or lower. I'm no expert but I do believe all the good players are gone when it comes to picks 31 and 32. LOL

Success is what decreases your odds of landing a good player guys. I mean lets keep it real and pretty simple here, we all play fantasy football and get that low draft pick on occassion. (IT SUCKS). This is why they allow the really bad teams to pick 1st every year. LOL

Backup

User Info Menu

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591220-studs-and-duds-of-the-pittsburgh-steelers-last-5-draft-classes[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Yes it is a good draft. Hood, Urbik, Wallace, Lewis and Johnson. All in the NFL. Most are starters. Urbik, cut; Wallace and Lewis, chose to leave. Still they selected five players that are either very good or solid NFL players. That is a better than average.
    They're not starters for the Steelers, so regardless of their play, the drafts as far as the Steelers are concerned was bad. You draft players hoping to develop and keep them on your roster, not develop and then let them play for another team during their prime. Draft years 2008 and 2009 are dismal failures and, IMO, Steeler fans will feel the burden of those bad drafts this season and probably next as well.P

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Much easier to keep marquee players in the Cowher era compared to free agency of today. The team had the luxury of knowing they could sign players to that second contract. Now they have to compete for the up and comers, don't think for one minute Denver didnt want to keep Dumervil or Baltimore keep Kruger. It's really tough with other teams poaching players that are just starting to emerge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hausparty View Post
    The last first round picks of Cowher's tenure were:

Burress (Selected 8th)
    Hampton (Selcted 19th)
    Timmons (Selected 15th)
    Troy (16th overall)
    Ben (11th Overall)
    Heath (13th pick)
    Santonio (25th pick)

Way to go COWHER for picking STUDS with the 20th pick or lower. Last time I checked having a top 20 pick basically means you didnt go very far in the playoffs. Some I'm really glad Cowher had solid picks with some really high draft picks. Tomlin hasnt really had the joy of sucking this many years in a row to build up picks #20 or lower. I'm no expert but I do believe all the good players are gone when it comes to picks 31 and 32. LOL

Success is what decreases your odds of landing a good player guys. I mean lets keep it real here. This is why they allow the really bad teams to pick 1st every year. LOL
    Heath Miller was picked 13th? Timmons was picked in the Cowher era?

Legend

User Info Menu

This argument that Tomlin/Colbert are bad 'drafters' does make Chadman smile a little bit.

2007- Lawrence Timmons, Lamaar Woodley, Matt Speath, Dan Sepulveda & Willie Gay have, and are still, contributing in the NFL. Even Ryan McBean found a niche at Denver. Only Cam Stephenson & Dallas Baker never really made it- a 5th & 7th round pick. You can argue that Sepulveda was overdrafted- Chadman will agree- but it was injury, not ability that curtailed his career, and Willie Gay has chiselled out a nice career of starting or being the nickle CB for a 5th round pick.

2008- Mendenhall was really the only 'good' pick here. Why people continue to call him a 'bust' is confusing. Check your record books, find out where Mendy is placed on the all-time Steelers RB list. And consider that 2 of his seasons in Pittsburgh were injury write-offs. Sweed was a bust, as was Davis. Hills never came on. Dixon isn't that bad a player. Humpal... didn't make it out of camp. For a late 6th round pick, Ryan Mundy wasn't bad value.

2009- Ziggy Hood has started 3 years on one of the highest ranked Defenses in the NFL. Mike Wallace was an extremely productive player in a short time for the Steelers. Lewis developed into a starting CB. David Johnson held a starting job for a couple of years- not bad for a 7th round pick. Urbik & Shipley are still in the NFL- Urbik is a starter. How this draft can be considered a 'bust' is beyond comprehension.

2010- Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Dwyer & Brown are all starters for the Steelers in 2013. Sylvester was brought back this year. Thad Gibson is still bouncing around the NFL. Doug Worthington landed in Washington. Only Butler & Chris Scott never did much. This should be considered a good draft- value for some very late picks like Dwyer & Brown.

2011- Heyward hasn't moved past Brett Keisel yet, Gilbert was a Year 1 starter, Allen has contributed & moves into a starting role in 2013, Brown hasn't come on as hoped. Carter is entrenched as a back-up OLB. Batch is still on the roster. Only Keith Williams never made it here.

2012- DeCastro, Adams, Paulson & Beachum contributed in year 1, as did Chris Rainey. Spence hurt himself after standing out in pre-season practice. Ta'amu is the #2 NT on the roster. Only Clemons & Frederick never made it.

From Chadman's count, that's 14 STARTERS that have come out of Tomlin drafts, not including a few that will become starters in 2013.

The problem isn't drafting. It's retention.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    The problem isn't drafting. It's retention.
    Chadman, you do have a point on retention. The talent from 2009 was very good; the retention was awful. Ironically, one of the 2 guys left from 2009 is Ziggy Hood, who is an incredible disappointment for a first round pick. Yes, he is a starter, but he has not even played up to the level of KVO. He has been perhaps marginally better than Nick Eason. Comparing pick for pick from the late Cowher era, he's probably around the same level as Kendall Simmons.

If DD and Heyward both come on very strong this year, my opinion of the first round picks in the Tomlin era will change, but for now, they have been a step down from the picks that the Steelers made in the first round that were a large part of the core of this team's success.