Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Extend McClendon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This has to put the Steelers perilously close to the cap. I suppose that a lot of the cap impact will be based on the incentives - the blurbs I saw had a max payout of $7.25 million, so it's possible that the guarantees are lower.

New deals for Sanders and McLendon likely means that Ahmad Bradshaw is likely out of the picture.

The $5 million that we gain from Colon in June is already earmarked for us to sign our draft picks.

Maybe the Packers weren't interested in McLendon at all. Maybe they wanted Bradshaw for themselves and saw us as their biggest competition for his services. Knowing that we were counting on McLendon to start (and seeing how we responded to Sanders & New England), maybe they showed interest in McLendon just so we would use up whatever remaining cap space we had, leaving Bradshaw to go cheese coutry. Pretty diabolical little theory, if true.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually, looking at the deal, if the signing bonus is indeed $1.675 million, then the yearly proration over 3 years would be $558,333. If we give him in base salary $715,000 for 2013 (the veteran minimum for a 4th year player), then his cap hit for this season would be $1,273,333, which would be less than the $1,323,000 RFA tender that we were intending to pay him for this season all along (again, I don't know the details of the contract breakdown for sure...just assuming that we'd do something like this, though). If Omar Khan was able to extend McLendon for 3 season instead of just one, and was able to save $49,667 (not much in the grand scheme of things, sure, but it is certainly better than going further into the hole with our current cap situation), then kudos to the front office. Solid move.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 04-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Actually, looking at the deal, if the signing bonus is indeed $1.675 million, then the yearly proration over 3 years would be $558,333. If we give him in base salary $715,000 for 2013 (the veteran minimum for a 4th year player), then his cap hit for this season would be $1,273,333, which would be less than the $1,323,000 RFA tender that we were intending to pay him for this season all along (again, I don't know the details of the contract breakdown for sure...just assuming that we'd do something like this, though). If Omar Khan was able to extend McLendon for 3 season instead of just one, and was able to save $49,667 (not much in the grand scheme of things, sure, but it is certainly better than going further into the hole with our current cap situation), then kudos to the front office. Solid move.
    Nice work, I was doing that same math in my head... And while we don't have the numbers yet, I do know that salaries are usually lower in the first year (cuz it's the year the player receives the SB)... meaning, this move likely SAVED cap room for the upcoming season!

GREAT signing...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Play DE or change to a one-gap system where his talents aren't wasted occupying blockers
    Kimo von Oelhoffen played an adequate NT for one year here before sliding over to DE for 5 more... with Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel's deals both expiring after the 2013 season, you may eventually get your wish. This deal gives us a short term solution at NT and flexibilty in dealing with those contract situations longer term.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

New deals for Sanders and McLendon likely means that Ahmad Bradshaw is likely out of the picture.

The $5 million that we gain from Colon in June is already earmarked for us to sign our draft picks.

Maybe the Packers weren't interested in McLendon at all. Maybe they wanted Bradshaw for themselves and saw us as their biggest competition for his services. Knowing that we were counting on McLendon to start (and seeing how we responded to Sanders & New England), maybe they showed interest in McLendon just so we would use up whatever remaining cap space we had, leaving Bradshaw to go cheese coutry. Pretty diabolical little theory, if true.
    If diabolical is synonymous with smart, then I agree! Get rid of Complacent Casey, and lets get some new blood in there!

Backup

User Info Menu

On another note, this is the kind of player the B&G has been good at finding and developing over the years to make up, to a large extent, for any questionable work in the draft... the Super Bowls are case in point. Longest run from scrimmage in SB history? Steeler UDFA Willie Parker breaking open a close game in SB 40. Longest INT return? Steeler UDFA and defensive POY James Harrison turning a 14 - 10 halftime deficit into a 17 - 7 lead. Without those plays and those players, we're still sitting on 4 Lombardis. Not saying McClendon is that kind of impact player, but that this is the kind of guy playing over his head, cap friendly productivity you have to have, and the Steelers have had, to win in today's NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

McL will be just fine at NT.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    McL will be just fine at NT.
    Unless the opposition likes to run...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    On another note, this is the kind of player the B&G has been good at finding and developing over the years to make up, to a large extent, for any questionable work in the draft... the Super Bowls are case in point. Longest run from scrimmage in SB history? Steeler UDFA Willie Parker breaking open a close game in SB 40. Longest INT return? Steeler UDFA and defensive POY James Harrison turning a 14 - 10 halftime deficit into a 17 - 7 lead. Without those plays and those players, we're still sitting on 4 Lombardis. Not saying McClendon is that kind of impact player, but that this is the kind of guy playing over his head, cap friendly productivity you have to have, and the Steelers have had, to win in today's NFL.
    So are you saying that 7th round pick David Paulson could ultimately be the guy that some folks here want Tyler Eifert to be (or does this only work with UDFA's and not late round picks...he was a 7th round comp pick after all of the regular 7th round picks were taken, so that's almost like being undrafted).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So are you saying that 7th round pick David Paulson could ultimately be the guy that some folks here want Tyler Eifert to be (or does this only work with UDFA's and not late round picks...he was a 7th round comp pick after all of the regular 7th round picks were taken, so that's almost like being undrafted).
    He might not be saying it, but I am.