Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Extend McClendon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    So are you saying that 7th round pick David Paulson could ultimately be the guy that some folks here want Tyler Eifert to be (or does this only work with UDFA's and not late round picks...he was a 7th round comp pick after all of the regular 7th round picks were taken, so that's almost like being undrafted).
    Keisel was a seventh.

Legend

User Info Menu

If McLendon becomes a solid starter at NT, then this looks like a good deal. If he gets blown away by run blocking OG's, not such a great deal.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If McLendon becomes a solid starter at NT, then this looks like a good deal. If he gets blown away by run blocking OG's, not such a great deal.
    McClendon's game is more Jay Ratliff than Casey Hampton. He will get blown off the ball some, but he also has quickness and pass rushing skills most NTs don't. Plus, he has position versatility. I think his best position is DT in our nickel defense. From there, he can penetrate and disrupt/pressure.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    McClendon's game is more Jay Ratliff than Casey Hampton. He will get blown off the ball some, but he also has quickness and pass rushing skills most NTs don't. Plus, he has position versatility. I think his best position is DT in our nickel defense. From there, he can penetrate and disrupt/pressure.
    That's fine, so long as his role isn't to play the traditional 3-4 NT role. It is what it is now though- they've committed to him, so he's the guy. Ta'amu & Fangupo are security blankets.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Committed to him? With less than 2 mil in guaranteed money? I don't think so. This is a role player contract for a role player. Hell you'd pay a decent NT 7 or 8 million for one season, not three. If McClendon doesn't pan out, they can cut him next season for a cap hit of just over one million. I don't think that will be necessary, but we have not committed to him being the future at NT. In fact, I think the Steelers got a hell of a deal. McClendon has potential. If he turns out to be a decent starter or heavy rotation guy at NT and/or DE, this is an awesome bargain. In fact, McClendon's position flexibility gives us great options during the draft. It allows us to draft a DL (either DE or NT) if a very good one falls into our lap, or we can address more pressing needs and go with the DL group we have.

Hood and Keisel could be gone next year. If Ta'Amu gets his head on, he has plenty of talent to play the position. Our 2014 DL could be DE McClendon, NT Ta'Amu, DE Heyward. At this point, who knows?
    Last edited by steelblood; 04-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Committed to him? With less than 2 mil in guaranteed money? I don't think so. This is a role player contract for a role player.
    Absolutely blood. That is why it is funny the way that some react over contracts here. Similar to the Foote signing. If we get a starter either via draft or another signing, then the guy is slotted nicely at a backup salary. If he starts then we have a very cost effective starter. Nothing to get worried about either way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    it's "lower-middle-class-d-line-starter" money.... it's a good deal. They could still take an NT in the first and I'd call it a good deal.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Absolutely blood. That is why it is funny the way that some react over contracts here. Similar to the Foote signing. If we get a starter either via draft or another signing, then the guy is slotted nicely at a backup salary. If he starts then we have a very cost effective starter. Nothing to get worried about either way.
    shoulda read the whole thread... y'all beat me to it... and spot on with Foote, as well... these are "i'm not convinced you're starter quality, but, i'd like to have you around in case i can't find a starter" salary ranges...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Backup

User Info Menu

I at times thought our Def played better with a more agile Hoke than times than Casey. But this is a similiar type contract to what Hoke probably had at his highest salary. So I think it is a fair deal with huge upside.

Legend

User Info Menu

With the way the NFL is going, McClendon will probably see more snaps as a DT on a 4 man line than as a 3-4 NT.

Anyone know the numbers? How often are we even in a base defense anymore? Seems like we're always do the 4 man front Polka with the other team's OLine not generating any pressure.