Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers could find value @ TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Every projection I've seen from the "so-called" draft experts have Eifert as high as #15 and as low as #20. So what do you base your assessemnt on that #25 is just right other than personal preference?

Who is the perfect #17 pick that meets all the criteria for using that number pick?
    Tried to explain below O. Weak 1st round. I don't think Eifert is a 1st rounder with other TEs in this draft. With the weak talent at the Top, Eifert will be a 1st rounder. Do I think Eifert will go in this draft in the Top 20? There is a very good chance he does. If I have to take him, give me a 3rd with him and I would be very happy. That is why I said 25th. If we trade back & miss on him....There is a whole hell of alot of guys I would be happy with because the added value of a 3rd makes it a good deal. However, saying that....If the Steelers can't get out of #17...His position gives him more value IMO than a Jones or Vacarro. There are alot clumped together based on grades.

I will try to explain my board. Assuming the Top 3 LTs are gone, Miliner gone, Warmack gone, and Jordan, Ansah, & Mingo all off the board. I will put my targets and then my trade back line. If a trade can't be done then preference in that order. My trade back line represents my grade drop off.

1. Patterson WR
    2. Rhodes CB
    3. Austin WR
    TRADE BACK
    4. Cooper OG
    5. Eifert TE
    6. Vacarro S
    7. Trufant CB
    8. Jones OLB

I'm pretty confident the Steelers pick @ #17 is on that list of 8 if the others are gone.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-22-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Every projection I've seen from the "so-called" draft experts have Eifert as high as #15 and as low as #20. So what do you base your assessemnt on that #25 is just right other than personal preference?

Who is the perfect #17 pick that meets all the criteria for using that number pick?
    Tried to explain above O. Weak 1st round. I don't think Eifert is a 1st rounder with other TEs in this draft. With the weak talent at the Top, Eifert will be a 1st rounder. Do I think Eifert will go in this draft in the Top 20? There is a very good chance he does. If I have to take him, give me a 3rd with him and I would be very happy. That is why I said 25th. If we trade back & miss on him....There is a whole hell of alot of guys I would be happy with because the added value of a 3rd makes it a good deal. However, saying that....If the Steelers can't get out of #17...His position gives him more value IMO than a Jones or Vacarro. There are alot clumped together based on grades.

I will try to explain my board. Assuming the Top 3 LTs are gone, Miliner gone, Warmack gone, and Jordan, Ansah, & Mingo all off the board. I will put my targets and then my trade back line. If a trade can't be done then preference in that order.

1. Patterson WR
    2. Rhodes CB
    3. Austin WR
    TRADE BACK
    4. Cooper OG
    5. Eifert TE
    6. Vacarro S
    7. Jones OLB
    8. Trufant CB

I'm pretty confident the Steelers pick @ #17 is on that list of 8 if the others are gone.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Tried to explain above O. Weak 1st round.
    Weak first round or not, that's the first round that every team is dealing with...

Would Eifert, for example, be a #17 in last year's draft? Perhaps...perhaps not...who can say?

Would Eifert be a #17 in next year's draft? Again, perhaps...perhaps not...

Neither of those is relevant to the 2013 draft...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Like the 49ers, the Pittsburgh Steelers face uncertainty at tight end. Much more so, actually, considering incumbent Heath Miller's future productivity is in doubt following surgery to repair torn knee ligaments. Like Davis, Miller is entering his eighth season, and Pittsburgh would be wise to look ahead at tight end. With a great work ethic to go along with his talent, Eifert would be a perfect fit in Steeltown, and pick #17 seems about the perfect value for him.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to add a spark to our offense!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Like the 49ers, the Pittsburgh Steelers face uncertainty at tight end. Much more so, actually, considering incumbent Heath Miller's future productivity is in doubt following surgery to repair torn knee ligaments. Like Davis, Miller is entering his eighth season, and Pittsburgh would be wise to look ahead at tight end. With a great work ethic to go along with his talent, Eifert would be a perfect fit in Steeltown, and pick #17 seems about the perfect value for him.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to add a spark to our offense!
    No surprise, but I agree 100% with this.

I see no defensive player likely available at #17 who has more upside than Eifert does to be a great 10 year contributor. The only other offensive players I see who are potential great 10 year contributors would be Warmack and Cooper. On the offensive side I might possibly add Patterson, but WRs are such a wildcard.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Weak first round or not, that's the first round that every team is dealing with...

Would Eifert, for example, be a #17 in last year's draft? Perhaps...perhaps not...who can say?

Would Eifert be a #17 in next year's draft? Again, perhaps...perhaps not...

Neither of those is relevant to the 2013 draft...
    No offense Slap but only irrelevant to you. That analysis is used by many in draft discussions including X scouts and GMs. Kirwan actually used that analysis on Sirius last week when discussing the quality of players in the 1st round.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    No offense Slap but only irrelevant to you. That analysis is used by many in draft discussions including X scouts and GMs. Kirwan actually used that analysis on Sirius last week when discussing the quality of players in the 1st round.
    Huh?

The Steelers have to spend that #17 pick on someone if they can't find a trading partner...

If no players are "worthy" of that #17 pick, what do you propose that they do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Will Eifert be the BPA for our team @ 17? I dont think so... IMO people are turning this guy into a legend. I think he is good but is he THAT good vs what we have on the roster and our philosophy on offense?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Will Eifert be the BPA for our team @ 17? I dont think so... IMO people are turning this guy into a legend. I think he is good but is he THAT good vs what we have on the roster and our philosophy on offense?
    He's becoming another Matt Jones...

Rookie

User Info Menu

the steelers dont really need a TE in the first round. its a waste of pick. the first post in this thread makes sense but again. they can hold with the TE they have right now. and pick someone else that is really needed
    --
    [url=http://americanfootballfilms.com/alphabetical-list-of-nfl-teams]list of nfl teams[/url]