Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers could find value @ TE

Legend

User Info Menu

To me the question is what is the marginal increase at TE compared to other positions. That goes for other positions as well. It seems that our positions of need this year are also those that are considered deep. So I guess my greatest consideration for round one is this - how much better is the guy we are drafting than the player at the same position that we can get in round two?

Consider our needs, and a random possible sampling of players available:

WR - round 1 - Patterson, Austin, Hopkins, Allen
    round 2 - Hunter, Woods, Patton, Wheaton, Williams
    round 3 - Bailey, Hopkins

TE - round 1 - Eifert
    round 2 - Ertz
    round 3 - Escobar, McDonald, Kelce

OG/OT - round 1 - Cooper, Warmack, Watson, Fluker
    round 2 - Pugh, Long, Armstead, Warford

pass rusher - round 1 - Jones, Werner
    round 2 - Damontre Moore, Jamie Collins
    round 3 - Sio Moore, Lemonier

ILB - round 1 - T'eo, Minter, Ogletree
    round 2 - Brown, Bostic, Alonso

CB - round 1 -Rhodes, Trufant
    round 2 - Alford, Hayden, Banks
    round 3 - Amerson, Wreh-Wilson, Slay

S - round 1 - Vaccarro, Elam
    round 2 - Reid, Cyprien
    round 3 - Swearinger, Thomas, Thomas, Wolff

NT - at least one of Jenkins, Williams, Hankins should be around in the second

So where does this get us? Confused

I think the only thing that I can see for sure is that if we are legitimately going after a NT then we should take him in the second.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I suspect the Steelers are going to throw all of us a curve ball in round one and select a player most of our mocks don't have. As for Eifert I would love the pick, but whoever they draft I'm rooting for them to hit it hit out of the park, no matter who I like.
    With more holes to fill than normal it's important we do well in this paticular draft, but at the same time hope our current young players step up for this year and fill some of our concerns.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I heard Kelce has major character flags, e.g. failed drug tests.

I read something I can't find again that reported one scout saying he was a "mess"
    I saw him interviewed on NFL network and read a couple of other recent interviews where he admitted being immature back in '09 and '10. He said he learned from his mistakes and has moved on. He said he has grown up in the past 3 years... He considers himself to be a high character guy now and says he would be a hard working asset to any team. Detroit and the Stains are supposed to have high interest him. He's from Cleveland.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I saw him interviewed on NFL network and read a couple of other recent interviews where he admitted being immature back in '09 and '10. He said he learned from his mistakes and has moved on. He said he has grown up in the past 3 years... He considers himself to be a high character guy now and says he would be a hard working asset to any team. Detroit and the Stains are supposed to have high interest him. He's from Cleveland.
    Pretty sure Rainey declared himself a saint.....
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I suspect the Steelers are going to throw all of us a curve ball in round one and select a player most of our mocks don't have. As for Eifert I would love the pick, but whoever they draft I'm rooting for them to hit it hit out of the park, no matter who I like.
    With more holes to fill than normal it's important we do well in this paticular draft, but at the same time hope our current young players step up for this year and fill some of our concerns.
    I read an article on some other site or maybe it was PS that 70-80% NFL Teams draft players in RD #1 whom they have met either during the combine or visted there Pro-Day or had a private workout with the player...Steelers are one of the team who draft players in Rd 1 whom they have met...maybe Mendy was an exception...

I think its a toss up between Arthur Brown and Cordelle Patterson...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I'm not sure there will be a "hit it out of the park" pick at #17.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I read an article on some other site or maybe it was PS that 70-80% NFL Teams draft players in RD #1 whom they have met either during the combine or visted there Pro-Day or had a private workout with the player...Steelers are one of the team who draft players in Rd 1 whom they have met...maybe Mendy was an exception...

I think its a toss up between Arthur Brown and Cordelle Patterson...
    Patterson would make me happy and Brown would make me really upset.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Who is that 6'5 250lb WR that you would prefer who is a size and strength mismatch for CBs and Safeties and can outrun LBs? That WR doesn't exist in this draft unless we are trading for "Megatron."

People need to quit undervaluing TEs and recognize the league has changed and they are one of the most importnat position now in an effective offense for their receiving skills not being another OT.
    Patterson.. I don't need big WR who has the exact size as Eifert. It'd clear you have fell in love with this guy but we have no idea if he can do all the things you mentioned.

Legend

User Info Menu

For those clamoring for Eifert at #17, which of the following scenarios presents better value?

1.17 OLB Jarvis Jones
    2.48 TE Zach Ertz

or

1.17 TE Tyler Eifert
    2.485 OLB Jamie Collins

Personally, I see minimal difference between Eifert and Ertz, and significant difference between Jones and Collins.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For those clamoring for Eifert at #17, which of the following scenarios presents better value?

1.17 OLB Jarvis Jones
    2.48 TE Zach Ertz

or

1.17 TE Tyler Eifert
    2.485 OLB Jamie Collins

Personally, I see minimal difference between Eifert and Ertz, and significant difference between Jones and Collins.
    Except Ertz won't be there at 2.48. He will go in the first 10 picks of Round 2. Other teams know the value of the TE in today's NFL.

I guess that is me saying I'll pick your second option.