Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 87

Thread: The Steelers could find value @ TE

  1. #51
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For those clamoring for Eifert at #17, which of the following scenarios presents better value?

    1.17 OLB Jarvis Jones
    2.48 TE Zach Ertz

    or

    1.17 TE Tyler Eifert
    2.485 OLB Jamie Collins

    Personally, I see minimal difference between Eifert and Ertz, and significant difference between Jones and Collins.
    I guess it would go by preference. I personally wouldn't take either Jones or Eifert @ #17. But if I had to choose between your scenarios, I would actually go with Eifert-Collins. There isn't as big as a gap as you think between Jones & Collins. Collins has heaping upside compared to Jones. Jones might be more NFL ready but neither see the field at OLB year 1 here. I think talent wise, your combined comparison is pretty close.

    I will throw another twist to Better value.
    Trade Down:
    1. Eifert TE
    2. Hunter WR
    3. (For Trade) Lemonier OLB


    Now compare Eifert, Hunter, Lemonier to your two name package above. I think clearly more value exists in the three player package.



  2. #52
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For those clamoring for Eifert at #17, which of the following scenarios presents better value?

    1.17 OLB Jarvis Jones
    2.48 TE Zach Ertz

    or

    1.17 TE Tyler Eifert
    2.485 OLB Jamie Collins

    Personally, I see minimal difference between Eifert and Ertz, and significant difference between Jones and Collins.
    I think there's a huge difference between Eifert and Ertz. Eifert is a great pass catcher. Ertz is the more complete blocking TE, but doesn't have the athleticism in the passing game. We don't have to take Collins. We could grab another position after Eifert.

  3. #53
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,178
    NFL Draft Predictions: 20 Bold Claims for This Year's Draft

    The Steelers Will Draft Jamie Collins

    BY RYAN RIDDLE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 18



    Jamie Collins is an ideal replacement for the exodus of James Harrison. The Steelers have shown a lot of interest in him during the pre-draft process, and he should fit perfectly in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

    Look for Pittsburgh to either reach a bit on Collins with their 17th overall pick or, perhaps, they trade up into the early part of the second-round where his value is even more justified. However they maneuver this, I believe he is high on their radar and will do what they can to make him a Steeler.

    If Collins does end up wearing the legendary black and gold, he'll be fortunate to have an opportunity for growth in one of the best organizations in the league; an organization that does a great job incubating their young defenders a few years before turning them loose.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-draft/page/15

  4. #54
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,432
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I guess it would go by preference. I personally wouldn't take either Jones or Eifert @ #17. But if I had to choose between your scenarios, I would actually go with Eifert-Collins. There isn't as big as a gap as you think between Jones & Collins. Collins has heaping upside compared to Jones. Jones might be more NFL ready but neither see the field at OLB year 1 here. I think talent wise, your combined comparison is pretty close.

    I will throw another twist to Better value.
    Trade Down:
    1. Eifert TE
    2. Hunter WR
    3. (For Trade) Lemonier OLB


    Now compare Eifert, Hunter, Lemonier to your two name package above. I think clearly more value exists in the three player package.
    If we get Eifert in a trade down, then I'm all for it. He's a value pick in the 25-32 range. He's not the BPA at #17.

  5. #55
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,432
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think there's a huge difference between Eifert and Ertz. Eifert is a great pass catcher. Ertz is the more complete blocking TE, but doesn't have the athleticism in the passing game. We don't have to take Collins. We could grab another position after Eifert.
    Well, Ertz had 19 more catches for 213 more yards and 2 more TD's than Eifert this year (with a freshman QB at the helm since Luck was in Indy).

  6. #56
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Except Ertz won't be there at 2.48. He will go in the first 10 picks of Round 2. Other teams know the value of the TE in today's NFL.


    I guess that is me saying I'll pick your second option.
    If Ertz doesn't make it down to #48, and the team want to give Ben a weapon on day two of the draft, then there will be other options available...we won't panic. DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, Justin Hunter, Terrence Williams, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Stedman Bailey, Da'Rick Rogers, Ryan Swope...we could have the chance to get guys like this on Friday night in rounds 2 or 3.

  7. #57
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Well, Ertz had 19 more catches for 213 more yards and 2 more TD's than Eifert this year (with a freshman QB at the helm since Luck was in Indy).
    Stats don't matter except when they matter

    I'd actually prefer Ertz if this was still BA's offense. But I think Haley will utilize talent. IMHO, Ertz had the better QB and the better system to play out of. Most of his catches that I've seen hit him between the numbers. And Ertz fits the traditional block first Steeler tradition. Eifert is a completely different athlete that can go up and make a catch on a ball that looks like it's overthrown.

    Ertz looks like a TE playing TE. Eifert looks like a giant WR playing TE. And they're used completely differently. You can line up Eifert wide and it's natural.

    The reason I'd consider Eifert at 17 or even think teams will think of taking him earlier is because he's the best receiver in the draft by a long shot. I understand not wanting to take a TE, G, ILB very high in the draft because they're often not the most critical impact positions. But this kid's different than all the rest.

    Consider if Eifert was 30 lbs lighter and just a WR with this incredible size and speed and hands. We'd be talking about him as a top 10 pick. It's a pipe dream anyway. I think he'll be gone before we pick and we probably wouldn't take him because we have 4 TEs already and probably aren't thinking we need someone as our top priority.

    But one of this team's priorities is Red Zone offense. This kid would instantly fix it. When Heath is healthy, these 2 would be unstoppable.

  8. #58
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If we get Eifert in a trade down, then I'm all for it. He's a value pick in the 25-32 range. He's not the BPA at #17.
    I agree. I wouldn't want Eifert @ #17. I think you pegged his range. I would put him #25 at best.



  9. #59
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,464
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't want Eifert @ #17. I think you pegged his range. I would put him #25 at best.
    Every projection I've seen from the "so-called" draft experts have Eifert as high as #15 and as low as #20. So what do you base your assessemnt on that #25 is just right other than personal preference?

    Who is the perfect #17 pick that meets all the criteria for using that number pick?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #60
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    First I want to say that this draft is weak at the Top. There are players in the 15-50 range that are graded close together. IMO...There isn't 20 1st round talents in this draft.

    Saying that...I don't think there is enough seperating Eifert, Ertz, McDonald, & Escobar to shy away from any of them. However, I also don't think there is enough to over value any of them. I have mentioned something I do all the time when grading and that is putting previous guys in the current draft to evaluate. If a Colby Fleener or Rob Gronkowski was in this draft...Eifert wouldn't be considered a first rounder. Both of them were 2nd round picks. Perhaps now you could see the "value" aspect I mention. To go to the next tier, Eifert is no Jermaine Gresham. Gresham was selected 21st. You take into account the quality & depth of each draft they were in but you could get a sense of the value of a pick. Don't get me wrong, I think Eifert is a very good TE. Given the weakness off the talent in the 1st round, his actual grade projects him into the 1st.

    If you are selecting outside the 12-15 range, I think you have to consider "value" based upon that next tier of players being so close together. With the weak QB class..The other prime positions or trade down (if possible) could get you the most value. The LTs, WRs, TEs, DT, 4-3 DE, & CBs could rise because of that. That's why you could see a rise of DTs like Richardson & Williams... CBs Trufant & Taylor...LT Watson...DE Carradine...WRs Hopkins, Woods, & Hunter...Possibly go higher or sneak into the 1st round. Eifert is one of those guys that fall into that. A pass cathing TE is going to rise especially in a weak 1st round. In a rich 1st round, I wouldn't want him. In this 1st round, I want more value if I have to take a 1st rounder outside my top guys. If stuck & I can't get another pick with a trade back...The BPA's value could be increased because of his position. I wouldn't want to be in the FO for this 1st round outside the top 10.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •