Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers could find value @ TE

Legend

User Info Menu

The draft can't get here soon enough... Eifert has turned into the savior of our draft. He will probably be gone by the time we draft anyways. If we don't need him to block then why the hell do we need him? Just get a big WR or draft the other TE with good hands in a later round.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So Eifert at #17 is bad but good at #20? Or does it have to be #25? #30?

Sorry, but your poisiton makes no sense to me. If he is the player you want then you take him when you can get him. Eifert is the #1 rated player at his position in this draft. He is worth #17.

Especially if the option is a defensive player who will be on the sidelines for two seasons.

If Steelers remain at 17 i would prefer Steelers drafting either a pass rusher..DB or a WR...A game changer. I just don't think TE is going to be the difference maker. Ben excels in 3 WR sets...Do you think Eiffert is going to see lot of time once Heath returns back??? The only thing i can envision is Eiffert blocking at the line once Miller comes back and become the No.1 TE.

At #17 i definitely don't think he is BPA...He may be No. 1 TE in the draft but he is not a BPA at 17 IMO...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The draft can't get here soon enough... Eifert has turned into the savior of our draft. He will probably be gone by the time we draft anyways. If we don't need him to block then why the hell do we need him? Just get a big WR or draft the other TE with good hands in a later round.
    Who is that 6'5 250lb WR that you would prefer who is a size and strength mismatch for CBs and Safeties and can outrun LBs? That WR doesn't exist in this draft unless we are trading for "Megatron."

People need to quit undervaluing TEs and recognize the league has changed and they are one of the most importnat position now in an effective offense for their receiving skills not being another OT.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think what he is referring to is "value". I sit the same way. I wouldn't take Eifert @ #17. However, with a trade down scenario that provides an additonal 3rd round pick, Eifert & a 3rd would represent greater 1st round value if you end up taking him in the 20's. You risk possibly losing him to another team by doing that but you stay true to your board. He may represent filling a need who will give you earlier production than taking an OLB, but if you grade him lower than that OLB...And he is your guy....Get more value. Otherwise, in my book, if you can't trade out..You go BPA. If it is an OLB on their board, so be it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think a great value pick will be Travis Kelce in the 3rd he has the same measurables as Eifert and was very productive last year. He has a lot of upside. 1st Patterson, 2nd Arthur Brown.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I think a great value pick will be Travis Kelce in the 3rd he has the same measurables as Eifert and was very productive last year. He has a lot of upside. 1st Patterson, 2nd Arthur Brown.
    I heard Kelce has major character flags, e.g. failed drug tests.

I read something I can't find again that reported one scout saying he was a "mess"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Who is that 6'5 250lb WR that you would prefer who is a size and strength mismatch for CBs and Safeties and can outrun LBs? That WR doesn't exist in this draft unless we are trading for "Megatron."

People need to quit undervaluing TEs and recognize the league has changed and they are one of the most importnat position now in an effective offense for their receiving skills not being another OT.
    Chadman loves Ovi's enthusiasm for the TE position, but to call them 'one of the most important positions in an effective offense' is taking the argument to the extreme. 32 teams in the NFL. Of the top 32 pass catchers in 2012, only 6 were TE's. And of those 6, 2 came from such offensive superpowers such as the Carolina Panthers & Oakland Raiders. So 4 TE's came from what we'll call 'effective' offenses. And that's including Heath Miller- the Steelers offense is getting called 'effective' with the bias rule being used.

Needless to say, none of the top 32 TE's in the NFL in 2012 were the #2 TE's on their respective teams.

Is Eifert worth the #17th pick?

No, he's not.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    If Brown is on the board the pick before the Steelers in the 2nd, the Steelers may already have his name on the card and be standing at the podium waiting for the Cowboys selection to be turned in. I hear they are very high on him. Funny thing is, Te'O & Minter both may still be on the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many Notre Dame TEs have been picked in the first few rounds and then subsequently failed to make a significant impact? John Carlson and Fasono come to mind. The guy in Minnesota has been ok, but not a game changer. If you are going to take a TE at 17, you need a Gronk like impact, or crazy athleticism like Vernon Davis. Eifert looks like he will be a good recieving TE, but I don't think he will be that good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    My only caveat is that Haley actually uses the weapon. If they just bring the kid in to be an extra blocker, they could go several ways there. I suspect that wouldn't be the case, though.
    On the Steelers O last year, only one player put up career numbers, and that was the TE. I worry more about what Haley would do with a speedy receiver than what he would do with a TE.