Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers could find value @ TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Who cares if he can block. The kid can fill the big WR void from day 1 and be an addition to our Red Zone offense. If we still had BA, BA would try to turn him into a blocker. I think Haley would line him up out wide and create some mismatches and play to his strengths.
    You obviously understand this is a "pass first" league now and not the NFL of the 1970s. Tight Ends are receivers first and blockers second in terms of the value of the skills. I'll give up some blocking and take an exceptional receiver everyday and twice on game day Sundays.

Plus he would contribute Year 1 ( and every year after that) which is importnat for a Round 1 draft pick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You obviously understand this is a "pass first" league now and not the NFL of the 1970s. Tight Ends are receivers first and blockers second in terms of the value of the skills. I'll give up some blocking and take an exceptional receiver everyday and twice on game day Sundays.

Plus he would contribute Year 1 ( and every year after that) which is importnat for a Round 1 draft pick.

The Steelers Offense has driven me crazy since the 70s. We never really evolved all that much. I liked 95 when 5 wides started to become a staple of the offense and the 96/97 when Chan started to introduce some new ideas with Kordell. And then 05 when Whiz was letting Ben throw on 1st down and rip teams apart early, especially when he turned him loose in the playoff run.

But the rest of the league passed us by. I remember when we had Eric Green, I always wanted a second one of him on the field because he was indefensible. Back then there weren't any other TEs like that, but now it's the norm and these guys are super athletes.

The reason it would be weird to draft Eifert is because we let Mendy go to AZ. He'd be the perfect back in a wide open offense. But not we've got the wrong type of backs for a spread offense. It's been that way since Willie Parker's been a starter. As soon as we get these super athletic RBs that can score from anywhere, we line up 3 TEs in front of them to guarantee they get 8-9 guys in the box. No matter who we've plugged in at RB in recent history we try to run them like they're the Bus.

Now I'm totally confused where Haley's offense is going. The Oline is still in a bit of disarray even though we've spent a ton of premium picks up front. It feels like Ben is gonna get killed and he has limited weapons. I like that Haley is trying to get Heath more engaged in the offense. So I could see his using Eifert. But I just am confused as to where Haley's going. What type of players he values. He seems to make due with whatever he has, but what's he gonna build from the ground up given where we are.

He kinda reminds me of Tomlin in that regard. They make do with what they have, but are these the guys that can build from the ground up? And if so what's their plan?

Legend

User Info Menu

this is the guy i want. i think the steelers may totally ignore him up until draft day and then grab him. no visit, nadda.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Who cares if he can block. The kid can fill the big WR void from day 1 and be an addition to our Red Zone offense. If we still had BA, BA would try to turn him into a blocker. I think Haley would line him up out wide and create some mismatches and play to his strengths.
    If you want a big WR, why not just draft a big WR?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Are there any WR's in the draft that are that big?

Legend

User Info Menu

i really think having a stud TE could open up the field as much or more than that POS that ran in a straight line did.
    look at the higher scoring teams in the league and notice how many utilize the TE.
    its a scoring league, lets start scoring.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i really think having a stud TE could open up the field as much or more than that POS that ran in a straight line did.
    look at the higher scoring teams in the league and notice how many utilize the TE.
    its a scoring league, lets start scoring.

You're not the only one who feels that way. A stud TE will actually fight for the ball and will be able to overpower someone trying to swat the ball away versus waiting for a pass into the 'ol breadbasket.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You could go after Justin Hunter who's about 6'4". He had an ACL and his speed may not be 100%? But he's got huge potential. People are calling him a 2nd rounder, but I think he could sneak into the first.

Then there's Brandon Kaufmann who's 6'5". He's not fast by any means, but he's pretty talented and can go up and get a ball in the air unlike most Steelers in recent history. He's projected to be a 7th rounder or FA.

But neither of these guys are the size of Eifert.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ertz is the superior TE.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers are going to select a pass catcher in Round 1, Patterson & then Austin would be Chadman's choices.

Both of those guys are dynamic, and force a defense to focus on them. Regardless of who your favoured TE might be in this draft, they do not change the Defensive focus- they are complementary guys. We already have those guys.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S